TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all,

New member here with what is probably a question that has been answered before - but I'm afraid I can't find what I'm looking for. I'm new to motorcycling (well returning in my mid-40s after dirt biking as a teen) and just bought a 2009 with only 80 miles on it! Love the thing and having a blast. Anyway, it came with a rear top rack and I bought a Pelican 1400 to mount onto to it. Before I start drilling holes in the rather expensive case, I wanted to check in and see how best to do this. Do I need an additional plate on the rack? I was playing with some brackets (they may be hose clamps with a hole for nut/bolt) but it didn't feel right, even though it may have worked.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

bikerack.JPG

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I'm not sure if there is another way to mount it. Any bag or case that attaches to a rack has to have something protruding from it whether it be clamps or straps.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Welcome fellow Oregonian!

I have mounted quite a few different cases to my TWs on several different racks.

I either use J-bolts coming out of holes drilled in the bottom of the case and then wrapping around the tubes in the rack, or straight bolts coming out of holes in the case and then going into a metal plate or piece of high density polyethylene that goes below the rack to act as the bottom side of a clamp.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new bike!

·
Banned
4,029 Posts
moose-hard-trunk.jpg I would go this route. Moose Hard Case Trunk is perfect for the daily commuter. The small case is large enough for a single full-face helmet and additional gear while the large case will actually swallow two full-face helmets and some gear.

The small case is 1700 cubic inches (28 liters), 15"L x 15"W x 10"H overall outside dimensions.

The large case is 2900 cubic inches (47 liters), 17"L x 23"W x 13"H overall outside dimensions.

Both cases are lockable and include all the hardware necessary to mount them to your rear rack (you will need a rear rack for either of these cases). The cases mount with a quick disconnect system that allows the trunk to be removed from the motorcycle quickly and easily from the inside once it is unlocked. With the lid closed and secured, the truck is effectively locked to your motorcycle. Solid construction is weatherproof and will keep your contents dry even when riding in the rain. I have the bigger one on my DR-650 and really like it .

Reactions: goldenhtr

·
Banned
4,029 Posts
1579824_10201998371952955_1176161594_n.jpg

I had the pelican on the dr and had to use paddle locks and much heavier and took 20 min to remove this one pops off in 20 seconds. small one around $90.

·
Banned
4,029 Posts
1604302_10201998379993156_674983784_o.jpg dr-650 click on photo to inlarge.

·
Banned
4,029 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
zdiver1 , great info on the Moose case ,also I like the tubular crash bar on your DR.....did you make the bar , if not where did you purchase it from . TIA

·
Banned
4,029 Posts
I have the engine crash bars and the saddle bag crash bars, that is my bike in the photo on the dirtbracks website. the saddle bag bar gives me a good hand hold to move the bike around and getDR650 it up on the center stand.
zdiver1 , great info on the Moose case ,also I like the tubular crash bar on your DR.....did you make the bar , if not where did you purchase it from . TIA

·
Banned
4,029 Posts
DR650 click on link!

·
Banned
4,029 Posts
704381_4708055191415_1640350820_o.jpg click to enlarge
My bike with the pelican before my other mods.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts