TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new here but by no means new to motorcycling. I am 38 years old and have owned 27 motorcycles in the last 20 years. I have ridden motorcycles in 38 states so far, have hit seven deer and have been hit by a drunk driver in a pick up truck. I currently riding a Buell Ulysses (my 4th) and also own a Suzuki RF600R. I've never owned anything under 350cc's.

When I was a teen, my best friend had a TW 200 and I remember having a lot of fun on that bike. Back then I only weighed a hundred and 20 pounds. Now I weigh 250 pounds and I'm wondering if a TW will work for me now that I'm six feet tall and weigh 250lbs.

I have a guy who wants to trade a 2005 TW for my Suzuki. I am looking for a lightweight dual sport to complement my Buell. Ideally, I was looking for something like a Suzuki DRZ 400 but the TW has always seemed like a cool bike to me.

I know I won't be doing a lot of interstate riding on it but will my weight be a factor for hilly rural roads, trails, hills & such? I know it's not a monster and I'm by no means expecting motor-cross performance. I just want to hear from other tall/heavy TW riders on your opinions.

I want a bike I can load & unload into my truck by myself for when I go camping and have something to tool around on. The Buell weighs over 500lbs, so that gets dicey.

I know these bikes are known to be relatively bullet proof. I just want to know that my fat ass won't be the death of the bike if I take it into the woods. I also want to know that it'll keep up with traffic on hilly rural roads here in ny & pa. (55mph).

Obviously, I'll test ride it before making a deal. But the bike is two hrs away so I want to do my research before heading up there.

Any help, opinions & advice is appreciated!

Here's the TW I'm considering:

Here's the RF600R I might trade for it:

And here's my Buell:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Im 6'1 235 and no problems at all. Handles big guys well. Thinking it's the low end power these little guys have. I ride vtx1800 and I can't seem to get enough of the tw. I'm sure there are bigger guys then that going to chime in.

·
Registered
184 Posts
i'm 250 and have no problems with the tw.there isn't a bike built thats perfect for everything,but for dual purpose low speed riding the tw fits the bill quite well.sometimes low and slow have their own rewards,sightseeing ,saftey,smell the roses so to speak.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
sounds like the TW will fit your needs. perfect for camping and tooling around at slow speeds. I load mine in my tall 99 ram 4x4 with no problems. I have a long ramp and just walk it up while using tw engine power.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I too am on the high side of 260 and 6'. Mine gets me around just fine. Getting rid of those air splitting road bikes might save some broken bones. After losing an elbow to a rock, I don't go any faster than I care to crash.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Average+ size 5' 11" 190 pounds ... short inseam/long body...the one I tested was a perfect fit...that's why I chose to go this route{and thanks to those on this forum} .... the seat height was a plus, but not the main reason I picked the T~Dub :D Was going to purchase a Kaw kls250 but reading the reports on the T~Dub....and the glowing kudos from the guys on this forum, sold this old geezer.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
I would make the trade in a Sullivan County second and never look back. You can upgrade the suspension easy enough to handle your weight. The TW won't break any speed records unless you race on some nasty trails where most other bikes won't make it. It is a fun bike and not a racer.

Pro cycle has a heavy duty spring kit for the front and rear if you find it is necessary.

I am right around the corner from you.

GaryL

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
I'm the same height as you, but fatter. I cruise on pavement with the stock gearing (14-50) all the time at 55-60 mph. I love the TW.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm 6ft 3 and 16.5 stone (we work in stone here) I also have a tw125 which I use off road only.... With 6psi in the front and rear I can still do 50mph across a field :) you will be fine.

I've also had many bikes and constantly tried to kill my Tw and failed so far :)

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the bike!

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I imagine individual bikes vary a bit, but mine would not tote my 15.7 stone in hilly terrain at 60 mph like the Admiral's. In hilly stuff mine would be working to keep me moving along at 55. (I also have stock gearing)

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
I imagine individual bikes vary a bit, but mine would not tote my 15.7 stone in hilly terrain at 60 mph like the Admiral's. In hilly stuff mine would be working to keep me moving along at 55. (I also have stock gearing)
I have not worked stoned in many years but at 185 and with some gear my TW works hard keeping me rolling at 60 in these small NY hills. It does however take me effortlessly through some of the nasty stuff I bought it to go through. Slamming a deer at 60 is an ever present danger in these parts so I am perfectly fine enjoying the scenery and staying off the major paved roads.

GaryL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Every tools has it's application. TW200 is a great trail bike, camp ground runner and grocery getter. Not so much running 60 MPH on freeway. I would do the trade in a heart beat.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Ya Know, I would rather talk to folks who know and love our T Dubs than try to talk anyone in to getting one. It is not a bike for a "Wipper-snapper" who wants to go fast and do wheelies. It is a great bike for a "Niche" following who are all done with the youth mentality and just want a stable steed to go and have a nice day on no matter what you might run in to. I am here to tell anyone you will probably never get to 70 MPH on a stock TW even if you weigh in at under 100 pounds without some serious dollars spent. You probably will get to the top of the mountain if you have a fair degree of trail skills and your TW will never know it got worked too hard. I have only ever bought them and never sold them.

I do check Craig s list every day for this general area. What I can tell you and everyone else, there are many more CL adds that start with WTB than 4 Sale around here. If you really need our help than you probably need more help than you know. I would trade that Ninja thing so fast it would make our heads spin here!

GaryL

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
i second what everyone says previously, though i'd comment that if your bike is worth $2500, that's a bit on the high side for a 2005 tdub.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I do check Craig s list every day for this general area. What I can tell you and everyone else, there are many more CL adds that start with WTB than 4 Sale around here.

GaryL
same here...i am always looking for a cheap project tw that i can toss in my basement and work on a little at a time...never find them...there are some for sale but

oh and OP i just saw your ad when i was searching...
Trade my sport bike for your dual sport

this one is the closest one i can find to you...but a stock 1994? (what year did the rainbow warrior colors run?) with 2k miles for $1900 isn't the best deal...by reading the ad the seller doesn't really care what kbb says but kbb and nada both have reasonable prices...the thing is the seller can ask whatever they want cause there isn't another one very close for sale to compete with...they are rare so you have to snatch them up when you find one...i paid $1500 for a 2000 with 8k miles
early 90s tw200

Kelley Blue Book
1994 Yamaha TW200F/C Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides

these are the other closest ones i think...
1996 yamaha tw 200 trailway enduro 300 original miles (i would go after this one if it wasn't too far)
yamaha 08 tw200 (or best offer)
***Street Legal Dirt Bike (Enduro) For Sale- Really Fun- Yamaha TW200
Yamaha TW200
02 tw 200 nh reg clean title on/off road enduro

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
this one is the closest one i can find to you...but a stock 1994? (what year did the rainbow warrior colors run?) with 2k miles for $1900 isn't the best deal...by reading the ad the seller doesn't really care what kbb says but kbb and nada both have reasonable prices...the thing is the seller can ask whatever they want cause there isn't another one very close for sale to compete with...they are rare so you have to snatch them up when you find one...i paid $1500 for a 2000 with 8k miles
early 90s tw200
that is a '94 and low miles and very clean, but that seems rather high.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts