TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello , i'd like to introduce myself to the forum group , been following this forum and several others for a while now , this group of folks seems more my speed , it appears based on posts that you guys are laid back fun loving guys , seem to like to tinker with bikes a bit , think i'll fit right in , i am currently courting the idea of a dual sport motorcycle , have a 4 wheeler , like the idea of street legal transportation , i am working in the alaskian bush so my quad is my only transportation right now , live in alabama which is where my motorcycle will live , can anyone fillme in on the ups and downs of this odd little tw200 , i have read just about all of the posts here and am very impressed with it

·
Registered
404 Posts
Welcome to the Forum toolman324

I think you might find this a good reading to answer your question.

For me it is just the ideal bike for several purposes (not in any particular order):

1. Easy bike to run errands around town.

2. Great learner bike to teach my wife or friends.

3. Awesome Pit bike for when I go to the track.

4. Great bike to take on the RV.

5. Fantastic bike to do off road if you are not looking to do jumps.

I own a DL1000 for touring, an R6 for fun in the twisties, a track ready R6 for even more fun in the twisties
, and then the TW200 which is a great bike to go where I can't with the aforementioned bikes.

I can add to that an easy bike to work on to learn motorcycle maintenance, bullet proof engine, and fun to transform with tons of DIY projects.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
TW is the Chuck Norris of motorcycles--rocks get out of the way.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum. Its good to have new people join, but all this intrest is driving the price up on these bikes! Just kidding, they are cheap entry bikes into the dual sport world, easy on fuel, easy to service, easy to modify, but really hard to stop riding at the end of a day. If you havent already test rode one, go to your local Yamaha dealer and take one for a spin, they are fun to ride but not a powerhouse by any means. If your looking to do high speed long rides, its never going to work, but if you just want to have a blast and street ride it to the trails, its the only choice. I bought a new '09 just over a year ago and have no regets whatsoever, love it to death, but I did have to replace the stock sprocket and chain right away. It has over 1100kms on it now and all of them were a blast ( even the ones when the wife tagged along ).

Keep us posted on your search for your bike, are you going used or new? There are always guys on here that can give you advice on used pricing and what to watch out for. If going new, get them to throw in a new DID Oring chain or a back rack. Best of luck and post a pic when you get one!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you guys for the encouragment , i plan on buying new , most things i by i buy new and keep forever ....LOL , will post pics as soon as i make my move on a bike

·
Registered
106 Posts
your gona really enjoy this bike. iv put mine in to some stuff that at the half way point (point of no return) i wasn't sure wed make it out... but this bike rocks. if you think you can do it... it can do it. the t-dub is a great decision. And how many other bikes do you know of that have a nick name.

·
Registered
404 Posts
thank you guys for the encouragment , i plan on buying new , most things i by i buy new and keep forever ....LOL , will post pics as soon as i make my move on a bike

I am not sure how good the used market might be in Alaska, but for a motorcycle that really has not changed in several years there is not much to get from a new one vs a used one. But it is completely up to you of course. If you want front disk break up front and NO kick-start then you can get anything 2001 or newer. If you prefer having the kick-start, a mid 90s with low miles would be the ticket.

All it really changes in throughout the years is the color.

You can find a mid 90s for about $2000, and then you can spend the other $2000 in accessories such as cycle racks, o-ring chain, different sprockets, even a set of extra tires (road and off road), good gear (helmet, jacket, pants, boots and gloves) and even paniers if you plan on doing long trips with it.

I just love the used market for motorcycles, for the price of a brand new bike I have 4 in my garage, a little bit of TLC and you shouldn't have a problem.

Good luck with the purchase, and whatever you end up getting (new or used) you are going to love it!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I picked up a '91 out of Florida for under 700. I live in SE Ala (Dothan).

I've had a few problems that I am working on getting fixed - Fork seals and a new front brake line right now.

And I have several projects that are more for me than the bike needing them;

New headlight assembly

Supermoto fender

Sprocket change from 47 to 54 (I dont mind banging gears)

I think that TW200's are pretty tough to find around this area of Alabama, I check Craigslist and ebay

often and don't see them often. And buying new is always fun

Get back down here and out of the cold
and get you a TDub. They are a ton of fun !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts