TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I just signed up to the forum but I've been lurking for a while. I'm trading in my 2013 Ninja 300 ABS SE towards a TW200 at the end of August or September because I just can't be a road-only-rider and I've wanted one of these bikes since I was about 5 or 6 years old and they were a brand new model. I recently saw the post about the rear shock change and it has me worried I won't be able to stiffen up the rear suspension. I'm a pretty big dude at 250 so I was planning on doing the suspension after I'd had it a while to see what I really need. Anyway, long story longer, I'm excited to see what I can learn about these sweet little bikes!

Edit: I just realized I put this in the wrong place. Sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(I put it in the right place for you) ;) Welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Welcome anyway.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
Hello, I just signed up to the forum but I've been lurking for a while. I'm trading in my 2013 Ninja 300 ABS SE towards a TW200 at the end of August or September because I just can't be a road-only-rider and I've wanted one of these bikes since I was about 5 or 6 years old and they were a brand new model. I recently saw the post about the rear shock change and it has me worried I won't be able to stiffen up the rear suspension. I'm a pretty big dude at 250 so I was planning on doing the suspension after I'd had it a while to see what I really need. Anyway, long story longer, I'm excited to see what I can learn about these sweet little bikes!

Welcome. Since this is "technically" your first post, why not be in the technical section eh? :p No one should really care after all accidents happen (which is why they created "Depends" right?)

Have a fun time on the forum and even more fun on the trail with your TW.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'm trading in my 2013 Ninja 300 ABS SE towards a TW200 at the end of August or September. I recently saw the post about the rear shock change and it has me worried I won't be able to stiffen up the rear suspension. I'm a pretty big dude at 250 so I was planning on doing the suspension after I'd had it a while to see what I really need.
You've got a few months. Check into whether anything else was changed. If nothing worthwhile, and there is no news of the shock being vastly superior; buy a new 2016. Save money and be able to swap shock springs at your leisure.

·
Super Moderator
17,974 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! Sorry for the late reply. I've had bikes for a long time and the older I get the less I want to tempt death/insurance increase :D

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yes, but keep in mind, if your commute involves jaunts on the freeway longer than 5 minutes, or lots of steep hills, you may be let down by the commuting abilities of the TW

·
Registered
779 Posts
Don't sweat the suspension. I am 270 and ride fairly hard. It will bottom on occasion. It is just telling you to slow down a bit. It works as a whole, changing​ anything to much upsets the balance of the bike and just leads you to other shortcomings. It's fun to farkle, fun to ride and fun to work on (rare, but the oil and air filter do need attention once in a while).

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts

Welcome:) Another Washington rider:)

Where about you at in the state?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
My commute is about 5 miles on a mix of dirt roads and two lane with a max speed of 50 mph. After seeing how people drive on highways that are clogged with semis and farm equipment, I think I'll be staying off the highways. Gravel and dirt get a little hairy on the ninja:D Golden, I'm in the Colombia Basin about 35 or so miles from Moses Lake so I have plenty of dirt roads and sand to play on. Mattwings, thanks for the information! I have a lot of friends with ATVs so the pace is typically slow going. I just want to be able to load up a tent/sleeping bag and join them for some camping trips. Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
567 Posts
My commute is about 5 miles on a mix of dirt roads and two lane with a max speed of 50 mph. After seeing how people drive on highways that are clogged with semis and farm equipment, I think I'll be staying off the highways. Gravel and dirt get a little hairy on the ninja:D Golden, I'm in the Colombia Basin about 35 or so miles from Moses Lake so I have plenty of dirt roads and sand to play on. Mattwings, thanks for the information! I have a lot of friends with ATVs so the pace is typically slow going. I just want to be able to load up a tent/sleeping bag and join them for some camping trips. Thanks, guys!
Mine does 65-70, so freeway isn't out of the question...It just doesn't like to stay there long. It will go 55mph all day long though

·
Registered
779 Posts
50mph for us "Husky" guys seems a pretty nice pace. Mine will do a little over 60 indicated with me on it and over 65 with my 180lb son. I honestly think the bike would be nearly perfect with a 6th speed. My DR350, with steeper 14 tooth front sprocket is so happy at 60mph. I know part of it is displacement, but when the piston slap is louder than the exhaust or knobby, it makes me anxious (you do get used to it, the TW makes some crazy noises at 55mph, it is all good!)

·
Registered
209 Posts

Welcome from TN!

'13 TW200
AT

1 - 20 of 22 Posts