TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. My name is Jim and I've finally made it around to this TW forum after nearly four years of ownership of my '89 TW200. Been lurking for a couple of months and have posted a couple of times. I am in East Central Indiana and first learned to love the TW around 2010 at Vintage Days at Mid-Ohio after a friend let me putt around on his... the very bike that I own today. I thought it would be the perfect bike to ride offroad with my young son, as I hadn't really done any of that since my minibike days some 40 years ago. I think I've made an excellent choice, and am preparing to transition my 13yo son from his excellent little TTR125 to the TW this riding season. Bike is mostly original, but I couldn't stand the "Robin's Egg Blue" and bought a new set of black plastics for it. $$$! Replaced brake shoes and front brake cable, standard chain and sprockets, exhaust valve, running new Trailwings and Cycra Probend handguards. More$$$! Got a faux-Givi Harbor-Freight tail box that I use on occasion, but mostly run it with a Joe Rocket Manta magnetic tank bag and a LowePro Offroad Camera bag strapped to the tail. I've got five plated motorcycles, and I probably ride the TW the most! What a great little motorcycle! I'll get a pic up, eventually, as soon as I figure out the forum format.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Welcome from NY Brother Jim.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Welcome aboard, Jim & Son!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Welcome, BrotherJim!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jim! Amazing resource here for pretty much anything relating to TW or otherwise. Have fun with the new ride!

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
Welcome Jim, Just a heads up here. We get it that you could not stand the robin egg plastics and it cost you to replace them with black. Do understand though if the original blue is in good condition that is a one year only color for the plastics and for guys or gals who are trying to keep their bike all original the blue plastics could fetch more on the auction site than the basic blacks and whites. There are a few one off color schemes where the only way to get those colors is to search and find them on Ebay and those who seek perfection will pay dearly to get what they need to make the bike all original. Go here and look through the bikes by year and colors. 89, 90 and 94 and 07, 14 and 18 models all had special color plastics and are way harder to come by. Your Robin egg blue is the one and only TW that ever had the words Trailway on the seat cover and all the rest just have Yamaha or nothing on the seat. Plastics from 1987 right up until today are all interchangeable.
https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/49393-tws-year-photo-collection.html

GaryL

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
As you can surmise Gary L. is a connoisseur of fine & vintage TW's and knows a collectable when he see's or hears about it.
Your oem plastics (do you still have them?) could be the equivalent of a bottle of 1955 Dom Perignon Champagne.
:)

not kidding!

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
As you can surmise Gary L. is a connoisseur of fine & vintage TW's and knows a collectable when he see's or hears about it.
Your oem plastics (do you still have them?) could be the equivalent of a bottle of 1955 Dom Perignon Champagne.
:)

not kidding!
Thanks Stagewex, Some years back I saw an Ebay auction for a seat cover and foam and I bought it. I did not know at that time I was buying a seat cover from a 1989 Robin egg blue bike that has Trailway instead of Yamaha on it. I started researching only to learn that only the 1989 Robin came with this Trailway logo on the seat. Pretty cool part and one day I just may find a 1989 that needs this cover to keep it stock. It seems that one mans junk could also be another mans treasure so if you have one of these 1 year only TWs with 1 year only plastics or seats and want to keep it all original you will have a very hard time finding the exact parts in good condition and they will cost the premium. TWs don't really have all that many changes over the more than 30 years of production and only a few years with the one off colors and differences.

GaryL

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do understand though if the original blue is in good condition that is a one year only color for the plastics...
Thank you all for the welcome! GaryL: Yes, I am aware of the one-year color of my TW plastics and have kept and stored them. I'd say they are in fair condition, but I haven't set eyes on them (ARGH! MY EYES!) in most of the four years I've had the bike. My bike has the blue seat, which I don't mind, but it does not have the "Trailway" script, so my guess would be that the original seat cover was binned long ago. It is likely a good thing that I removed the original plastics, as "I've had to lay the TW down" in the dirt on many occasions ;) plus the use of my Tech3 boots have left the black plastics quite scuffed and scratched. No ragrets! :D

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
Thank you all for the welcome! GaryL: Yes, I am aware of the one-year color of my TW plastics and have kept and stored them. I'd say they are in fair condition, but I haven't set eyes on them (ARGH! MY EYES!) in most of the four years I've had the bike. My bike has the blue seat, which I don't mind, but it does not have the "Trailway" script, so my guess would be that the original seat cover was binned long ago. It is likely a good thing that I removed the original plastics, as "I've had to lay the TW down" in the dirt on many occasions ;) plus the use of my Tech3 boots have left the black plastics quite scuffed and scratched. No ragrets! :D
I am not entirely convinced that all Blue Robin 1989 TWs left the factory with the Trailway seat logo and doubt that any of us know for sure. It is just a neat oddity I have noticed over the years and even the one in the collection pictures just shows Trial on the seat. Again, not sure if the "WAY" was wiped off or if that seat came with just trail on it instead of Trailway. If you go to the picture collection and check out the 1991 models the purple one was my bike. It was quite sharp looking but just like you I considered it rather Gay-ish. I sure did like the 1991 Black Onyx color scheme but not so much on the Purple passion one. Only the Purists among us really give a damn if their bikes are not to the letter year model correct and if your TW gets used and to some degree abused then all is well and you can mix and match any colors you want. Back when I was in my full form wild and crazy hard riding days most guys only ever saw my taillight anyway. :D

GaryL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts