TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's okay, I guess, but it's essentially just a customized Wrangler: not a real truck at all IMO. People have already been basically doing the same thing themselves with stock Wranglers for several years. I have seen some of those that look nice, but this one does not look good IMO. I've never liked the look (or lack of proper utility...) of long trucks with short beds. That seems a little pointless to me. If the bed is basically the size of a compact SUV's trunk area, why not just get an SUV, LOL. And come on, the JL is long enough; this thing's frame is THIRTY ONE inches longer!?!? What the hell. That's a damn Jeep limousine...

Personally, I see this as a cheap, poorly considered attempt to get into the truck market. It might do well because of brand image that's already there. I'm sure there are plenty of people who couldn't care less about actual usefulness: they just want a Jeep that's a truck...even if it's really not, and even if it's only going to Starbucks and the mall. Okay, okay, that was a low blow. I'm sure some people (maybe even a lot) will like it, and maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't get it. I predict that it will do well initially just because it is different and the niche-buyers will bite fast, and then sales will decline fairly quickly over the years. Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky or something.

What do you guys think? Completely agree? Completely disagree?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Will a TW fit in the bed ?
.?????
Don't think so with the tailgate closed ?
We have a Little Guy off road camper,
Which we tow with a truck.
Perhaps the Jeep truck would be good for this?
However two bicycles barely fit in a 6 ft bed,
Along with a cooler, water, grill, charcoal, fire bricks, etc.
Two doors and more bed would better appeal to our needs.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don't like it at all...it has some bits for off roading but with that wheelbase and overhang it won't go far on uneven ground.....I much prefer the factory kit to convert a JK Unlimited into a kind of pick up..... I am a Jeeper and have had one since I was 13 but I am not interested in this one..

No doubt it would be fine in snow, mud, sand....I wonder if they took it over their Rubicon Trail near Lake Tahoe ?

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Fiat ran a Gladiator test mule all covered to avoid spy shots through the Rubicon back in August of this year.

Now there is lots of publicity shots. I'm not impressed but expect to see lots of them soon clogging road to ski resorts and Costco parking lots.
FEATURE-2020-Jeep-Gladiator-22.jpg
They call it a midsize truck. Too bad no one still makes a compact truck anymore. My newer Tacoma seems huge compared to my first fun with Toyota pick-ups, the Stout. Double wall bed construction, bed hooks, practical tailgate, could haul a pair go enduro bikes, etc. Why are there no more Stouts? 7fbe291ac001d361c86a055bc6f7e494--toyota-x-toyota-trucks.jpg

·
Registered
367 Posts
I LOVE IT!
I'm sure the 2 door version WILL look amazing sitting in front of Starbucks, but it would look even more amazing with me sitting in it in the middle of a mud puddle......(probably waiting for The Admiral to bring the Wrangler to pull my stuck ass out!)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don't believe they intend to offer a two door version...if they do....I will need to take a more careful look ..the two door is why I prefer their factory conversion kit for the JK Unlimited...

I am impressed it crossed over the Rubicon...it worked out for Julius....

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't think Jeep intends to seriously compete in the pick up market. Jeep fans are just like TW fans - super loyal and usually for life. I watch old Jeep pick ups go for small fortunes at auctions which to me makes no sense. I believe these little wanna be pick ups will fly of the shelves for the first year or two with people paying sticker price all day long. The yuppies are gonna go hog wild. Probably didn't cost a ton to tool up for this build so the marketing gurus at Jeep rolled the dice and I bet their gonna be right on the money.

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
"The Rubicon Trail is a majestic icon of four-wheeling located in the high Sierra Nevada Mountains running from near Georgetown east to Lake Tahoe. The very spirit of our sport was born on this trail. Used as a Native American trade route in the early days before white man settled, the Rubicon was a natural and easy route over the Sierra’s. Then cattle and sheep were pushed over this route as the West became more settled.Studebaker cars used the route in the 1920’s. Tourists came in droves to soak in the soda springs located on the trail. Fishing was popular as was just plain vacationing in the hotel built at Rubicon Soda Springs. Eventually, erosion and time played their part so that today, we have the 10 of 10 rated trails – the Rubicon!"

The Rubicon trail has seen a lot of volunteer, corporate and federal grant contributions to improve some of this iconic trail in the last few decades to maintain it's usability. Around 2001 there was talk of closing the trail to the public due to severe erosion, hydrologic and environmental concerns. Various pressures, including Jeep wishing to maintain it's "Rubicon Rated" marketing campaigns, have seen many improvements so that it's still possible for Douglas County to issue exclusive use "Parade Permits" closing the route for only use by the two Jeeper's Jamboree events.
Thus no surprise that the Gladiator test mule could be pushed through enough of the trail to claim the Rubicon Rated rating.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Happened to cruise by the local dealer selling a Gladiator this week (twice)....once in the Tdub, and once in the "original" double cab (Jeep I think has even made reference to the original inspiration for the Brute/Gladiator as the Defender 130). Figured the pics would find a good home in this thread:

IMG_4112.JPG IMG_4129.JPG IMG_4136.JPG

·
Registered
166 Posts
IDK, I grew up driving a CJ, so this thing just seems big and soft. I guess someone can find a use for it, but at the price point of jeeps these days, why?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Saw one driving along through Missoula the other day. Looks good in person. Although, for me, I don't know what I'd do with one. It's a square army rig with a little bed that'll get crappy gas mileage.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts