TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been passively looking for a good starter bike for the GF and a bomb around the yard / go get the mail bike. I happened across a good deal on a 89 TW200. They had it listed for $1500, not running, bald tires, "new battery". I went and looked at it, gas smelled of varnish mixed with new gas, battery totally dead, stored indoors, with "new" unmounted tires. Well one of the tires was new and the other unused tire (rear) I couldnt find a date code on it. I was able to get him down to $1200 and loaded it in my truck.

Once home I kicked for a few minutes, notta. Put it in the shop and pulled the seat to find the "new" battery is not new or the correct battery, about half the size of the space. I tried to drain the bowl of the carb, nope nothing coming out......tapped on the side of it...still nothing...tried pressurizing the gas tank..nope.... I totally removed the drain screw.....notta. So i moved on to draining the yellow nasty varnish fuel from the gas tank. After a few minutes the bowl of the carb started dripping, and then it flowed smoothly! Success! I still figured I'd be doing a full degunking of the carb, but I was glad to see it drain. I put the charger on the battery and went to have breakfast. Afterwards I came back out and flushed the carb with fresh fuel and put a gallon in the tank. I hit the started and bingo, she's running perfect!

Suppose I should throw in a bit about me, I've been working on/riding bikes for about 30 years now....Damn now i feel old. The TW has upped my count to a full weeks worth of bikes 7! I have the mod sickness, I can't leave anything alone. I just finished building a ZRX1200, well "finished" for now :) I'm sure I'll add more later.... Casper

·
Registered
344 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
You have many smiles ahead of you
Mike from NC

Reactions: Ken

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Sounds like the pair of you will get on well

Apologies for the earlier “intrusion” regarding the TTR/XT engine, but we’re getting an average of two attempted spam accounts on here per day at the moment – hence the “just checkin’” comment

Any ideas on how you’re going to address that “dink” in the crankcase ? – although it does make a good case for an engine swap

Welcome to the board ……

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have been passively looking for a good starter bike for the GF and a bomb around the yard / go get the mail bike. I happened across a good deal on a 89 TW200. They had it listed for $1500, not running, bald tires, "new battery". I went and looked at it, gas smelled of varnish mixed with new gas, battery totally dead, stored indoors, with "new" unmounted tires. Well one of the tires was new and the other unused tire (rear) I couldnt find a date code on it. I was able to get him down to $1200 and loaded it in my truck.

Once home I kicked for a few minutes, notta. Put it in the shop and pulled the seat to find the "new" battery is not new or the correct battery, about half the size of the space. I tried to drain the bowl of the carb, nope nothing coming out......tapped on the side of it...still nothing...tried pressurizing the gas tank..nope.... I totally removed the drain screw.....notta. So i moved on to draining the yellow nasty varnish fuel from the gas tank. After a few minutes the bowl of the carb started dripping, and then it flowed smoothly! Success! I still figured I'd be doing a full degunking of the carb, but I was glad to see it drain. I put the charger on the battery and went to have breakfast. Afterwards I came back out and flushed the carb with fresh fuel and put a gallon in the tank. I hit the started and bingo, she's running perfect!

View attachment 208808

Suppose I should throw in a bit about me, I've been working on/riding bikes for about 30 years now....Damn now i feel old. The TW has upped my count to a full weeks worth of bikes 7! I have the mod sickness, I can't leave anything alone. I just finished building a ZRX1200, well "finished" for now :) I'm sure I'll add more later.... Casper
Welcome to the Forum. TDubs are so much fun. You will have many miles of fun on that. I like the Blue

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like the pair of you will get on well

Apologies for the earlier “intrusion” regarding the TTR/XT engine, but we’re getting an average of two attempted spam accounts on here per day at the moment – hence the “just checkin’” comment

Any ideas on how you’re going to address that “dink” in the crankcase ? – although it does make a good case for an engine swap

Welcome to the board ……
No worries. I am going to remove the cover and JB weld the hell out of it into a "case like" shape, at least thats the plan I have before I tear it apart. I'll have to see whats what when I get into it. Doesnt need to really seal up well in that area i figure, so If I do a half assed job it should be ok, for temporary. I am really struggling to find a whole donor engine, I am open to any ideas on places to hunt if you have them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum, Casper!

We are here to help you 1) fix your bike, 2) modify your bike, and 3) spend your money. Just let us know what you need.

Brian
Looking for a set of factory rear turn signals if anyone has em, or a left side driver peg mount bracket, at this moment.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Looking for a set of factory rear turn signals if anyone has em, or a left side driver peg mount bracket, at this moment.
eBay is your friend. There are stock signals to be had there all the time.

Welcome aboard, CH, from a fellow ‘89 owner.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Welcome! Good find, they are worth every penny. I had a 2003 ZRX 120 a few years back. Are you on the ZRXOA? I like to still lurk on there and still love those bikes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts