TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this happened...

Figured out my headlight took ~3.55 amps so I did some looking and found out an LED car headlight take about the same and produces significantly more light. So next step was figuring out the housing because I encounter fog quite a bit so I wanted a nice clean cut off for my low beam.

I went with a newer Ford Fusion fog light housing with the foreground- light guard cut off for more foreground light and an LED H11 1600 lumen bulb. Will post a night time shot if people want.

High beam is a 8 inch 40 watt spot/flood combo that also draws ~3.55 amps and says its 5000 lumens but I have no way of actually measuring. My bet is its closer to 3500 but still bright as heck. I also made my own mount for it as you can see.

So far I'm super happy with my MUCH improved lighting situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
928 Posts
Please share links for your light sources.

Is there any advantages to mounting the top light bar that high above the main headlight, or was it merely how it worked out with your setup?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please share links for your light sources.

Is there any advantages to mounting the top light bar that high above the main headlight, or was it merely how it worked out with your setup?

Merely how it worked out, if I mounted it below the regular light I ran the risk of hitting the fender during suspension travel.

Here is my high beam link ...
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=191417382308&globalID=EBAY-US
And description ....
LED WORK LIGHT BAR FLOOD/SPOT COMBO OFFROAD LAMP UTE ATV 8 INCH 40W SINGLE ROW

Low beam housing you can get from dealer, eBay, craigslist, junkyard, anywhere really. It's just a newer Ford Fusion foglight.

Bulb I went through my friends auto repair shop and got the racesport rs V2 h11 led for super cheap. When it dies I will be going with this bulb as it it much brighter http://www.siriusled.net/collections/frontpage/products/6400-lumen-9003-h4

Hello and welcome! I'd like to see some night pics, I bet they throw some serious light!
Night time pics will be up tonight or tomorrow morning! I was surrounded by street lights last night so everywhere I went was already lit up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea so the light I got came with the oem bracket for the foglight so I cut an opening in an aluminum plate which was ~1/8 thick. The opening is sort of odd shaped but when you get the bracket you will understand.

Then I broke the glass cover off the oem headlight, took off the bulb retainer and cut the aluminum plate to fit recessed where the oem glass was. Attached it via metal epoxy, loctite I believe (sturdy as heck) and positioned it right in the middle so the LED bulb fit just perfectly through the oem bulb hole.

That help?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Ooo. I see that light bar is 40 watt. Is that going to be too much for the electrical system? I thought the bike's electrics were only rated for 35 watts? Or is that just my older bike? Do the newer bikes have better electrical systems?

·
Super Moderator
17,926 Posts
Ooo. I see that light bar is 40 watt. Is that going to be too much for the electrical system? I thought the bike's electrics were only rated for 35 watts? Or is that just my older bike? Do the newer bikes have better electrical systems?
87's were 35, yours is 50 or 55 I believe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The newer bikes do have slightly better systems from my understanding yes.

Mine however is an older 89, and came with the stock 35 watt hi/low bulb as did yours I'm assuming (since you said it was older).

Hopefully though I did my homework right and I am going off the amps that the 35 watt halogen bulb pulled instead of the wattage. So an LED bar that pulls about the same amps (~3.55) turned out to be a 40 watt bar.

So 35W halogen -> 3.55 A halogen -> 3.55A LED -> 40W LED (which also gives off way more lumens)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just scored a new HID headlight (35 Watts) with 6,000 lumens. Includes all wiring and ballast, One year guarantee. Picture attached. (Pictures of it lighting up the night soon to be posted). Might scorch the paint of oncoming traffic?
FullSizeRender copy (1).jpg

·
Super Moderator
17,926 Posts
Mabel, just drive towards the light....:p

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mabel, just drive towards the light....:p
This thing is way to bright! I will take a photo later tonight but I can't possibly use 6,000 lumens. It is not an HID but a Xenon if it matters. I would be afraid to be on the road with it could really cause some issues. I turned the garage lights off this afternoon to see what it looked like. Photo does not due it justice. My eyes hurt from looking at it. Maybe they have a 1500?
FullSizeRender copy 2 (1).jpg

·
Super Moderator
17,926 Posts
So, it's kind of like a spotlight? bright like that? :confused:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeah, really intense white light. I talked to my manufacturer about it. They said be sure to adjust the headlight down. Funny thing is the bright beam is I/3 as bright as low beam. No, it isn't wired backwards but maybe I ride with high beam until I need a blast of white hot light? Off road at night sounds perfect. Where was this technology for those 24 hour enduros? I will try it on the street in front of the house and measure the length of light beam.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts