TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Nice!

I put a Shorai in my TW200 back when I first got it. Well, actually, I put the cheapest battery that Rocky Mountain ATV had ($30) and it was dead in two weeks. They refunded me that money, so I ordered the Shorai from them to replace it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was around $93, 2 year warranty, super light. I was already preparing to go this way. I bought a lithium ready charger months ago.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I just got an ordinary wet battery...see how long it lasts. In my BMW those big 30Ah batts would last me 4-5 yrs. but since the tdub batt is so tiny, it might act like a 'AA' in a flashlight

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
What's the great advantage to that battery? It's pretty expensive for it's size.
I got an 6 amp-hr AGM recommended on here for $30 including the shipping, so I could get three of those for the price of this one. Mine's still smaller than the stock battery, is lighter (like that's really a big deal to save a pound or so), and starts and runs the bike just fine, and holds it's charge for a couple of weeks or a month or more if I don't ride the bike. I personally don't see the advantage of that battery, just because it's "lithium".

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The Lithium-Ion batteries have the advantage in that they never need a maintenance (trickle) charge. They also weigh about 1/4 of what a lead-acid battery weighs. And they're less than half the size. They handle loads better too. I can crank the piss out of the bike, e.g. to "un-flood" it, and the battery recovers almost immediately.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have electric bikes with lithium batteries and have really good luck with them. We have a solar house and cabin and if I could afford it we would use lithium storage for them. We are going from lead acid batteries to AGM for no maintenance at the cabin.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nice! Is that the one that comes with all the extra rubber peices to fill in the extra unused space in the battery compartment?

Prior Owner had just installed a new $25 special before I bought it, but when it goes I will probably go lithium as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It did come with spacers! I've been painting my plastic on the TW and will be removing the seat tomorrow for more painting, unless it rains, and will install the new battery then.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Lithium batteries, while the newest (and most expensive) technology, is not without it's own set of problems that have not been totally solved yet. Li-ion batteries are prone to "thermal runaway" where once the Li-ion cell gets overcharged, it gets hot and the temp can continue to rise even after it is taken off the charger. To quote from a BoatUS publication thagt had studies these, "Depending on the battery chemistry, the cell may get hot enough to spontaneously catch fire or overheat neighboring cells. To keep their concentrated power in check, Li-ion batteries rely on a sophisticated management system that provide over-voltage and short circuit protection for each cell in the battery. These battery management systems are vulnerable to failure in the event of a lightning strike or power surge, so even they are not yet foolproof." And, "there have been a number of high profile fires associated with this technology." Does anybody remember the people who got burned with cellphones in their pockets or from laptops sitting on their lap or from Prius's with fires?
Me, I don't want the possibility of a "thermal runaway" battery sitting below my fuel tank. It's very expensive and the weight savings is really negligible. Maybe in a few more years of development, but not now, and I'll stay with AGM's, especially for $30.

·
Registered
807 Posts
^^^^sounds like fear mongering :) Ive never heard of anyone having a fire or even overheating. I got one for an ironhead sporty I had. Its just stupid light, I would say less than a 1/4 of a lead acid. I have left that battery without tending for over 6 months..........still cranks right up. The only issue Ive heard of is poor performance when real cold. To solve that most guys turn on their ignition, put the high beams on and let it set for a minute. That drain is enough to heat up the battery a bit then its good to go for cranking.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
When a LI battery for a bike weighs around 1-1.5 lbs and the same lead acid one weighs 6+ lbs, I'd say that's significant.

HOWEVER... if you can get a quality AGM battery for $30, versus $100-150 for a LI battery, I'd be all for that too. I'm all about being cost-effective.

I do recall hearing about phone batteries exploding and crap, but those are in phones. And I haven't heard of any Priuses catching fire in years, and the only Tesla fires have been after a foreign object was hit and driven into the battery... which is why they have thicker skidplates now.

And on the TW, the battery is about 6-8" away from the fuel tank. :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Lip0 and Li-ion batteries can have significant thermal issues from either over or under charging. I keep my r/c batteries in metal containers because they are know to catch fire and create significant problems. AGM for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been using lithium batteries for about 5 years on my electric bicycles and haven't had a bit of trouble. They just keep on going.

·
Super Moderator
4,727 Posts
If you have over-charge and under-charge protection you'll be fine - if not, you'll "probably" be fine.

Besides - if you do run into problems, the first thing to catch fire is going to be your nuts - so you'll notice soon enough .......

·
Registered
908 Posts
I bought the $30 AGM two months ago. Happy, so far. Biggest advantage? No acid spills! 2nd? Seems to hold its charge well during periods of non-use.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts