TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am Ken, and since November I own 2013 TW200. I considered several dual sport bike options but ended up getting this one.
I am pretty happy about the condition I got the bike in, except for certain minor things that I will fix, not a big deal.
See the pictures of my ride in the attachment.
Regards,
Ken.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While I've started this thread, let me take a chance and ask you, folks, something real quick. What do you think of Lyndall brakes? Is this a good alternative to stock brake rotors? I thought of replacing what I've got the bike with, as the rotors look pretty worn and they corrode already...
Thx

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry I can’t advise about Lyndall brakes. Mine all have stock setups.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Hi and welcome. That's a nice looking bike. Congrats.

I've never heard of those brakes but that doesn't mean they aren't great. I've just never had the need to change mine.
Most stock components on the TW are fine for the life of the bike and replaceable with the same. There's only one rotor on a TW and like an oil thread, as long as you stay with the recommended spec's it's one of those "if it makes you feel better then...

First thing I did was change the Lilliputian foot pegs to better-than-Yamaha foot pegs. So yeah, there's better stuff out there. Other than changing the front disc brake hose to a stainless steel one (not yet) it already performs way above average. How did yours get corroded, 2013 is not that old of a bike?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First thing I did was change the Lilliputian foot pegs to better-than-Yamaha foot pegs. So yeah, there's better stuff out there. Other than changing the front disc brake hose to a stainless steel one (not yet) it already performs way above average. How did yours get corroded, 2013 is not that old of a bike?
Thanks for the recommendation! I have picked up the bike this fall, and noticed the brakes were somewhat thin. When the is sitting in a garage for a week or so, the rotors get covered with rust. I am not sure why they rust so badly, but I read a bit online on that, and this may be caused by chemicals that got on the bare metal once. So I'd rather have my rotors replaced, as I don't like what's happening at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I get that rust from time to time on all my bikes. Mostly during the Winter from the humidity and not driving it. My daughters Jetta is exactly the same way right now as her car just sits while she is away at school in Arizona.

Sometimes it's because the pads wore so thin the discs got scratched and damaged, not flat anymore. In this case they should be replaced. But if you are concerned only about a yellowing rust after not riding it for awhile, that's just it's way of saying "ride me more".

It would take many, many brake pad changes before you'd ever have to change the actual disc. Your bike looks almost new and the tires don't seem to have much wear in your pictures. I can't remember anytime I have had to change a disc on any motorcycle and that's with 40,000/60,000 and even 90,000 miles. Pads yeah, discs actually never.
How many actual miles are on it?

But it sounds like you really want to change them anyway. I'd stay with stock unless you want to experiment and if you want a real upgrade lose the stock hose and get a Stainless Steel one as mentioned earlier. Good Luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I spent some time reading about different rotors this weekend, and seems like all those fancy things are just for looks, nothing much about performance.
So I guess I will go ahead and grab stock rotors from Revzilla then... Price really matters if I'm paying for looks only....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts