TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone im about to buy a brand new 2013 later this month and im pretty excited about it. I know most people say riding a tw200 is the equivalent of riding a turtle but I currently ride a 2005 yamaha zuma 50 two stroke so going to a 200 and having never rode anything larger than a 50 I think that the tw200 will keep me happy for years. I had a few questions for you guys. I know the tw comes pretty lean from the factory and as soon as I get it I will probably change out the exhaust re-jet the carb, put a k&nfilter in and put tires better suited for the street on it. I was wondering if anyone knew the stock jet size that the tw comes with out of the factory and what size jet I should go with with the aftermarket exhaust and k&n filter on it. thanks in advance guys look forward to talking to you all in the future.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just leave it alone until you get some miles and experience on it.
I'll leave it alone... for probably a month or two max then I start the tinkering. One of the main reasons I want a tw as opposed to a 600 rocket is that these bikes seem very easy to work on plus lots of different aftermarket parts available for the tw. I put in a 17mm carb in the zuma with a technigas exhaust on it and it pulls 43mph no problem. plus I like the idea of being able to go anywhere even though I will be riding about 80% street 20% off-road. I think it should make a great commuter bike for going to work and such. plus the insurance should be easy on the wallet.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
The exhaust won't do much but make it louder, the K&N won't do much but make your wallet lighter, re-jetting may make it run a little better at the expense of gas mileage. The stock tires aren't the greatest on pavement but useable. Try it stock for awhile.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The exhaust won't do much but make it louder, the K&N won't do much but make your wallet lighter, re-jetting may make it run a little better at the expense of gas mileage. The stock tires aren't the greatest on pavement but useable. Try it stock for awhile.
I would have thought the opposite. On the zuma once I put on the new exhaust i would open it up wot and it would accelerate up to 32 steady then it would take off up to 42 really really quick. On different threads people say that once they changed out the main jet the throttle response improved significantly. Once I get my tw in 2 or 3 weeks I will keep it stock for awhile like you say.

·
Registered
814 Posts
1st mod; CycleRacks rear rack and some straps. Turns it into a TWuck. I use my rack a ton.:p

I use my rack a ton. I have carried 4 dining chairs on it. +1 on ride it stock for a while.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Stock main is 125. If you live close to sea level like I do, a 130 main is best. If you live >1500' asl you can go with 1 size bigger than stock or stick with the stock jet. Shim the needle as you see fit. You should also just buy an o - ring chain and put it on there day one. That is really all you need to do. Handguards, better front tire, cyclerack and jimbo shield usually come next. Seat, higher bars or risers, and wider pegs fit in there somewhere as well. This is the typical progression but it varies by the owner. For riding offroad the best mod you can do is switch that front tire for a goldenboy or a kenda 270. Coming from a scooter you will enjoy the power of the tw200 but compared to just about any other bike it is underpowered. It is perfect for exploring and if that is what you want to do you will be happy. Keep that in mind when you are buying.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
+1

Yep, not sure why you would want to do all of that, right off the bat....maybe a X or O chain....but "street tires"....It's your ride, but I'm thinking, get it home, step back and take a deep breath, ride it{which considering where you live} may be awhile...then decide what it needs and what you want....Meanwhile Have Fun and Welcomd to our Little Club:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys I do appreciate the input. Is the stock chain really that much inferior to the o ring chain?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thanks guys I do appreciate the input. Is the stock chain really that much inferior to the o ring chain?

I'm no expert on mods but I do have a 2013 TW and as far as the chain goes, I don't see any reason why I shouldn't get some use out of the stock chain then replace with a better quality chain when needed. I would rather spend my money on something else in the meantime.
I have noticed that compared to the O-ring chain on my Triumph, the TW chain needs a bit more attention and it seems to be spreading a fine red dust around. At least I think that's from the chain but, why not get some use out of it?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
A fine red dust eh? Like I said, do what you want. I still have my stock chain at 3500 miles and it's got some life left but it's getting pretty rusty and slack. I have new sprockets and a chain on the shelf just waiting.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Welcome graxler...I use my TW for commuting and I love it. I have alot of fun with it. Listen to everyone's advice, there are truly some very knowledgeable people around here, but, some things you gotta do if for no other reason than it makes you happy...take my DG exhaust for instance...it may not add very much performance wise and yes it's loud...but I like loud...it makes me happy. I like the way my street tires feel on the street...also makes me happy. I like the way my K&N filter looks even though perhaps not making a huge difference performance wise...makes me happy. TW...makes me happy. And if this little machine can have an influence on my happiness, and that happiness spreads to the people I come in contact with throughout my day...then maybe in some small way, I am having a positive influence on society and that's a good thing

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm no expert on mods but I do have a 2013 TW and as far as the chain goes, I don't see any reason why I shouldn't get some use out of the stock chain then replace with a better quality chain when needed. I would rather spend my money on something else in the meantime.
I have noticed that compared to the O-ring chain on my Triumph, the TW chain needs a bit more attention and it seems to be spreading a fine red dust around. At least I think that's from the chain but, why not get some use out of it?
Recently, there was a fairly heated back-and-forth thread about replacing the stock open chain with an O-ring chain right off the bat.

I also recently had a private discussion with a fellow T-dubber about this same topic. He was still using his stock chain and I have upgraded to an O-ring. His opinion was that it was wasteful to replace a perfectly good chain before it was worn out, and I would have agreed with him before I switched to an O-ring chain myself.

On it's face it seems a foolhardy enterprise, tossing a perfectly good chain that will last 4000-5000 miles right off the bat.

It starts to make sense when you figure in the time it takes to adjust the snails after every couple of hundred miles, the fact that the open chain will also wear out ~$100 worth of sprockets in 4000 miles instead of 20,000, and needing to clean and lube after every dirt ride.

The wisdom of switching to an O-ring chain off the bat is received wisdom from those of us who didn't do it. If I bought another new TW, I'd switch to an O-ring right away instead of wasting money on sprockets that should have lasted longer and wasting time on chain adjustments.

My $0.02

·
Registered
309 Posts
Recently, there was a fairly heated back-and-forth thread about replacing the stock open chain with an O-ring chain right off the bat.

I also recently had a private discussion with a fellow T-dubber about this same topic. He was still using his stock chain and I have upgraded to an O-ring. His opinion was that it was wasteful to replace a perfectly good chain before it was worn out, and I would have agreed with him before I switched to an O-ring chain myself.

On it's face it seems a foolhardy enterprise, tossing a perfectly good chain that will last 4000-5000 miles right off the bat.

It starts to make sense when you figure in the time it takes to adjust the snails after every couple of hundred miles, the fact that the open chain will also wear out ~$100 worth of sprockets in 4000 miles instead of 20,000, and needing to clean and lube after every dirt ride.

The wisdom of switching to an O-ring chain off the bat is received wisdom from those of us who didn't do it. If I bought another new TW, I'd switch to an O-ring right away instead of wasting money on sprockets that should have lasted longer and wasting time on chain adjustments.

My $0.02
How much would a dealer ship charge to put a new o-ring chain on a brand new bike?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Regarding the original chain, when I bought my brand new 2010 in 2011 I left the original chain on for I believe 7,000 miles. Then I switched to an O-ring. Did not change the sprockets since I had none and it would have taken at least 3 weeks to get one (part of island life). I now have close to 19,000 on the 2010 (have also a 2009 with about 6,000miles and also still original chain). I never expected the original chain to last that long after what I read about in on this forum.

Other than that I did not do any mods, except switching to a Kenda 270. As you can see by the milage, I do ride mine on a daily basis as commuter. I think you will be very happy. Wait at least a few weeks before doing any mods. You will find out you may not change a lot at all on this bike

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe I will hold off for a few month on any mods then. Once I do decide to change to the o ring chain which I will eventually do since the chain is already off should I just go ahead a put a 44 or 47 rear sprocket on there also? During my commutes I will be going mostly 40-50 so that would help keep the engine rpms down correct?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts