TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

This is the first forum I've joined in about 15 years so I'm basically a noob again. I have been searching and finding help through the tdub forum for a few months now while I piece together my '87 as I bought 6 months ago as basically a box of parts.

I really need some advice on getting the bike running as I've just this afternoon reached the end of my patience and the will to continue to throw more money and time at this bike.

Here's the story:
I bought the bike while the family and I were on vacation in southern California. We were down there in my wife's Forester and while waiting in line to get on space mountain I found a "good deal" on OfferUp for this '87 tdub with 1400 miles for $500.

I'd been shopping for a cheap tdub for months and finally struck gold I thought. So, I left Disneyland and drove to Manhattan Beach to somehow buy this bike and get it back up north in a small SUV with my family and luggage inside. The seller was happy to help be completely disassemble the bike in the parking lot of his apartment complex and proceed to stuff and strap down every part to the roof rack and anywhere we could fit parts.
It worked! Family, luggage and project tdub all fit and we made it back to the house in comfort.

I then spent the next 3 months of 30 min here an hour there putting the bike together using a cyclepidia. I put in new steering bearings and had new street tires put on the wheels. It was really looking great and my excitement grew. I had trouble with the electrical at first but the excellent diagrams in the manual got me through and I thought it would be a snap from there to having a running bike.

So far I have replaced every part on the carburetor that's available for purchase and the bike will not run. It will idle some times but as soon as you go near the throttle, it dies. I called procycle where I bought all my parts and they said it sounds like a vacuum leak. I replaced the boot connecting the carb to the head and the o-ring behind that with new parts. Nothing. Took the carb back off with my friend and had him look it over since he's actually owned several motorcycles and this is basically my first one. We cleaned and shot carb cleaner through here and there, compressed air through everything making sure nothing is plugged and even resealed the plastic cap on the top just to be sure. Nothing. I put new rubber caps over the unused ports from the deleted evap system hoping that was it. Nothing.

As it sits now, it will not run...like at all. You get thumps like it wants to start but nothing. Choke in, choke out. Idle jet to 1.5, 2, 2.5,3 turns...nothing. Pulled plug out and it's BLACK. Cleaned the copper pulg and tried again. Nothing. New NGK iridium plug makes no difference. I definitely have hot spark. New coil is working fine. Bike had good compression. Starter and battery are fine.

So I'm open to suggestions. Anyone in NorCal have a good shop I can take it to that won't charge what the bike is worth to get it running? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Congrats (maybe?) on your TW. So sorry to hear about the problems that you are having getting it running.

Have you ever seen/heard this engine run? 1987's are known to have CDI problems that may present as carb problems. I am neither a carb expert nor a CDI/electrical expert, but I can offer you a few things. I have a known good '87 CDI and several new replacement carbs that others have successfully used on TW's, that you would be welcome to try out on your bike.

Since it sounds like you are local, maybe we should try to get another "Wrench & Ride" together and see if we can get your bike going?

Is yours a red one or a blue?

Let me know if you are interested,

Brian

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
mt hamilton sounds like san jose.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Hello all,

This is the first forum I've joined in about 15 years so I'm basically a noob again. I have been searching and finding help through the tdub forum for a few months now while I piece together my '87 as I bought 6 months ago as basically a box of parts.

I really need some advice on getting the bike running as I've just this afternoon reached the end of my patience and the will to continue to throw more money and time at this bike.

Here's the story:
I bought the bike while the family and I were on vacation in southern California. We were down there in my wife's Forester and while waiting in line to get on space mountain I found a "good deal" on OfferUp for this '87 tdub with 1400 miles for $500.

I'd been shopping for a cheap tdub for months and finally struck gold I thought. So, I left Disneyland and drove to Manhattan Beach to somehow buy this bike and get it back up north in a small SUV with my family and luggage inside. The seller was happy to help be completely disassemble the bike in the parking lot of his apartment complex and proceed to stuff and strap down every part to the roof rack and anywhere we could fit parts.
It worked! Family, luggage and project tdub all fit and we made it back to the house in comfort.

I then spent the next 3 months of 30 min here an hour there putting the bike together using a cyclepidia. I put in new steering bearings and had new street tires put on the wheels. It was really looking great and my excitement grew. I had trouble with the electrical at first but the excellent diagrams in the manual got me through and I thought it would be a snap from there to having a running bike.

So far I have replaced every part on the carburetor that's available for purchase and the bike will not run. It will idle some times but as soon as you go near the throttle, it dies. I called procycle where I bought all my parts and they said it sounds like a vacuum leak. I replaced the boot connecting the carb to the head and the o-ring behind that with new parts. Nothing. Took the carb back off with my friend and had him look it over since he's actually owned several motorcycles and this is basically my first one. We cleaned and shot carb cleaner through here and there, compressed air through everything making sure nothing is plugged and even resealed the plastic cap on the top just to be sure. Nothing. I put new rubber caps over the unused ports from the deleted evap system hoping that was it. Nothing.

As it sits now, it will not run...like at all. You get thumps like it wants to start but nothing. Choke in, choke out. Idle jet to 1.5, 2, 2.5,3 turns...nothing. Pulled plug out and it's BLACK. Cleaned the copper pulg and tried again. Nothing. New NGK iridium plug makes no difference. I definitely have hot spark. New coil is working fine. Bike had good compression. Starter and battery are fine.

So I'm open to suggestions. Anyone in NorCal have a good shop I can take it to that won't charge what the bike is worth to get it running? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Welcome to The Forum! You're in good hands with TW Brian... :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum!

Congrats (maybe?) on your TW. So sorry to hear about the problems that you are having getting it running.

Have you ever seen/heard this engine run? 1987's are known to have CDI problems that may present as carb problems. I am neither a carb expert nor a CDI/electrical expert, but I can offer you a few things. I have a known good '87 CDI and several new replacement carbs that others have successfully used on TW's, that you would be welcome to try out on your bike.

Since it sounds like you are local, maybe we should try to get another "Wrench & Ride" together and see if we can get your bike going?

Is yours a red one or a blue?

Let me know if you are interested,

Brian
That sounds cool. Weekends are best but watch out for cyclists! They think they own the roads up here

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
1.jpg
brian is humble about his tw skills. his wrench n rides have repaired many a sad tdub.

·
Registered
535 Posts
You mentioned when you replaced all the parts in the carb that it would idle for a short bit, but touch the throttle and it dies... even if it won’t start now... I would just double check the petcock (disconnect hose from carb and open the valve) and make sure fuel pours out, if it doesn’t on the run setting, try the reserve setting. Sometimes the older petcocks need cleaning or replaced.

Just another two-cents

·
Registered
626 Posts
This sounds EXACTLY like the experience I had with my '87, which I've documented in this thread.
If you don't want to read the whole thing, I'd start reading at about post #51.

It's time to start looking at the CDI. I don't think you're having a carb nightmare, at all.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Lovin the love!

Let us know if CDI ends up being the issue.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
A few of options for a bad CDI. I had Tom Bauer fix one of mine for < $100 if I recall correctly. I bought a new Yamaha one for $250 or so. And I bought one from some guys in Poland that make a CDI with the ability to change the timing for about $200. But before spending any money it might be prudent to try a known CDI to make sure yours is bad.

Solo mid week ride to the top of Mt. Hamilton. That is my '87 in the distance:
P2160022.JPG

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A few of options for a bad CDI. I had Tom Bauer fix one of mine for < $100 if I recall correctly. I bought a new Yamaha one for $250 or so. And I bought one from some guys in Poland that make a CDI with the ability to change the timing for about $200. But before spending any money it might be prudent to try a known CDI to make sure yours is bad.

View attachment 196692
I will pull the unit off now and see if it's something I can service. The bike will not stay running at all now. I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Thanks all

·
Registered
626 Posts

View attachment 196692
I will pull the unit off now and see if it's something I can service. The bike will not stay running at all now. I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Thanks all
You can't service the CDI. It's a sealed unit. The electrical components are imbedded in silicone.

I recommend you try the freezer test. It will take you only seconds to unplug it from the harness.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok I just pulled the tank and drained it. It has plenty of flow in both "on" and "res" positions. I bought a kit from procycle so I went ahead and rebuilt it.

I just pulled the cdi unit and put it in the freezer. Thanks for the tips all.

Any tips on pilot jet setting?

·
Registered
626 Posts
When you pull the CDI out of the freezer, install it right away (while it's still frozen). When I did this, the bike ran great for a few minutes, and then slowly started to run shitty again as the CDI warmed up. Obviously, you'll want to do this after you feel you have the carb dialed.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Going to "Space Mountain" probably put the hex on you!

Welcome to you from NY and hope you resolve your issue. These are pretty simple machines where you may or could have a "Duh" moment of "why didn't I think of that".
Worst case pretty much any Yammy dealer will be able to resolve. TW's are as far from exotic as you can be, pretty low-tech. Good Luck.

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
535 Posts
Ok I just pulled the tank and drained it. It has plenty of flow in both "on" and "res" positions. I bought a kit from procycle so I went ahead and rebuilt it.

I just pulled the cdi unit and put it in the freezer. Thanks for the tips all.

Any tips on pilot jet setting?
I rolled a 130 Main Jet 34 Pilot, popped the Welch plug and my screw was bottomed out from the factory, gave it the magical 2.5 turns out. Runs like a top.

Picked up my jets from amazon (Yamaha brand):

Yamaha 288-14343-65-00 JET,MAIN #130; 288143436500 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005C57QEQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HiexDbFTVJV8M

Yamaha 5LB-14342-17-00 Jet, Pilot (#34); 5LB143421700 Made by Yamaha https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AJR1PIU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wkexDb83BB0AX

1 - 20 of 60 Posts