TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I’m a new member here and just bought my first TW200. It’s a 2000 model with only 2300 miles! It’s practically new still. I bought it for my wife to trail ride with us on but I’m really liking the bike myself!

I’m gonna change the oil and filter first before any serious riding though. Any recommendations on what oil I should use? I use Amsoil in everything else I own. Not sure what I should use in the TW.

Any other things for me to check out or change? Anything special I need to be on the lookout for?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Hi welcome. Please check out the oil change othreads. Recommend just cleaning the oil filterand using the old one. There have been cases of the wrong filter in the correct box causing engine damage. If yo have the stock front tire replace it with a Shinto 241 your wife will thank you for the improved traction. Are you sure you bought it for her Lol.

Ok Use 4 T m otorcycle rated oI l you can put a full synerhic like Mobil 1 4 T or Castro’s power one 4T. It will shift better and have higher heat protection.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Welcome and congrats! Amsoil is good stuff. Just make sure it’s wet clutch stuff. I use Mobile1 Racing 4T because I can get it at most parts store chains. Just inspect everything closely. These bikes are so simple it’s usually obvious when something needs attention. The engines are noisy by nature, so a valve inspection/adjustment is always a good idea. Not that hard to do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I keep a healthy stock of Amsoil 0w-40 Formula 4 Stroke oil that I use in my Polaris Ranger and my Polaris Sportsman 500. I was wondering if I would also be able to use that in the TW200. The Formula 4 Stroke does say that it is JASO MA/MA2 certified, so I'm guessing it should be fine, but I wanted to check first. I ordered a filter from Amazon so I will compare the old one with the new one before I install the new one.

Also, I think a set of tires will be on the menu soon. Obviously not from wear, but more from age. They are starting to show some dry cracking. Any recommendations on tires would be helpful too!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Sorry I can’t see too well so I edited my post above.

The Amsoil should work well. The stock rear tires are great the stock front is nick named the “ Deathwing”. Shinko 241 is a popular front tire replacement.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Welcome to the Dark Side. The TW Galactic Empire. If you bought it for the wife you might as well just buy another for yourself. I bought one last year and guess what? Yep. Buying one for her this year.

·
Super Moderator
1,908 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts