TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Firstly I just wanted to introduce myself. I got my first motorcycle yesterday and went with the TW200 partly due to this forum. Have been reading it for weeks and really enjoy the community feel and how knowledgeable and friendly everyone is.

Today was my first day taking the bike out on the streets. I spend some hours practising on my brother's bike leading up to today. Unfortunately right when I was taking the bike home after riding for 30-45mins the back of the bike started fishtailing. Unfortunately I had a flat in the rear tire, but fortunately I was able to keep the bike and myself vertical and safely pull over to the side of the road.

Once home I was able to get a good look at the tire and I ran over a bolt.

photo.JPG

It is firmly embedded in my rear tire.

Now I'm not very mechanically inclined yet, so what is my best way of permanently repairing this? Should I just replace the inner tube? Should I patch it? The tires are original from 2000, so should I replace the entire tire?

Thanks and sorry if these questions are very basic.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
"Now I'm not very mechanically inclined yet, so what is my best way of permanently repairing this? Should I just replace the inner tube? Should I patch it? The tires are original from 2000, so should I replace the entire tire?"

The tire is now 14 years old and if money was no issue I would replace it but it can also be easily repaired and the patch should last for years. The tube will need to be replaced regardless. Welcome to the forum.

Tom

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Hi Zachary,

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, sorry about your bad luck having a flat tire on your first day riding your bike.

Yes, you could repair this by removing the bolt, patching or replacing the tube and possibly plugging or patching the tire if there is a significant hole remaining after you remove the bolt.

Since your tire is 14 years old, you may want to seriously consider replacing it.

It is hard to prevent this type of road hazard puncture, but you may want to consider using Slime or Ride-On in your new tube which may either help to seal the leak or at least slow down the air loss for certain types of punctures.

Brian

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
It looks like your puncture came from a socket head cap screw. That is somewhat uncommon.

I can't add much to the good advise already given above. I just wanted to say Welcome To The Forum!

And we would sure like to see some pictures of the rest of your bike. We like looking at purty pictures.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I agree with everything said here, but if $$ is an issue, replace at minimum the tube. 14 years is borrowed time for one anyways, IMHO.

I actually always try to have a spare front and rear tube at the house, just in case, for any tubed motorcycle i own.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi Zachary! Welcome to the forum!
I agree with the above, you can replace the tube and patch that one for a spare if it doesn't have sealer inside it.
I'm glad you were able to safely get her stopped without a "Wake Up Bubba " situation. Congratulations! and Ride Well!

What is a (Wake Up Bubba) situation? : Any situation that might provoke you to wake up Bubba because he ain't never seen a crash like this one before!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New tire installed on Tuesday and have been having a lot of fun riding ever since. Took her off road for the first time and had a really good experience.

However, I'm extremely upset with the place I bought the bike. I bought it safetied and ready to go since it's my first motorcycle and I'm a complete beginner. The rear sprocket has horrible shark teeth and the chain won't even sit flush! I didn't know better at the time.

shark teeth.jpg chain and sprocket.jpg

I also don't like the look of the front tire, but they assured me it was fine. I can see it isn't.

front tire.jpg

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
When you change that sprocket, replace the front one too. And get a new chain. O-ring chain is preferred.
Your front looks like mine. My dealer over the phone said tires were good on it. When I got there to look at it, not so good.
I have my new tires and tubes and rim stripes. Just need help to change them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts