TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone. Name is Chris but go by my nickname Cubby. I just bought a 16 tw200 and am getting to know the bike.
A little history of myself. Been riding since I was 8 and am now 38 years young and love every thing to do with the outdoors. I ride Atv's, snowmobiles, and motorcycles. I live in the Big Sky state of MT and was born and raised here.

Been lurking on the forum for a week or 2 and already ordered and installed a few mods on the TW. Rear rack, foot pegs and just ordered a windseild from jimbo.

Anything you guys would recommend doing to my bike besides just gas and ride? Looked at the oil cooler but really don't see it being worth it for where I live and what I do with my bike.

Anyways glad to be here and look forward to learning a few new things.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,061 Posts
Welcome!! :D

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I depends a bit on what kind of riding you do. If it's mostly pavement, the OEM tire is fine. IF you ride a lot of dirt, sand, rocky terrain (kinda like most of Montana) you may have nasty surprises when you brake hard on a downhill, try to turn sharp a the bottom of a hill, turn too sharp on gravel.....and on and on. The Death Wing is just crap in any of those. Most of us who don't do really aggressive dirt riding and like a tire that still performs well on pavement have changed to the Shinko 241.....and we don't crash much anymore.:p

And welcome to the nuthouse. ;)

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
When I first got my TW and joined this forum, everyone was complaining about the stock front tire. I thought it was just a "forum fad" at first, but I did notice that anytime I was on anything but pavement or hard packed dirt, I would inevitably have a "crash". I thought my off road riding skills were either really lousy, or they were right about that tire. They were right. My off road riding skills aren't the greatest, but with a better front tire, my "wipe outs" happen far less frequently and there are few places I won't go now. I went with the Shinko 244 but the popular vote now is for the 241. The 244 works great off road, but leaves a little to be desired on road. I do have a Dunlop 606 waiting to be mounted when my 244 gets worn out.:D

·
Super Moderator
5,259 Posts
Search the forum for threads with "death wing" in the title - and while you're there, search for "correct oil filter" - both searches will save you a lot of grief in the long run.

(The rest of it is a case of getting to know your bike first, but the two above are "critical" reading)

As Rocky says - welcome to the nuthouse ....... ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Cubby, What part of Montana are you in? I'm in Helena. We are either close neighbors or up to a 10 hour drive apart. Congrats on the bike. It does really well in the mountains and exploring. Hate it on the highways since it is slow, but gets through ALOT off road. I firmly second not needing the oil cooler here. I thought the tire was hype, but I admit I had a washout in loose dirt at the bottom of a hill that should not have washed out. Made the switch since it was not overly expensive. Carrying extra gas may be needed, but avoidable with planning, at least in the west part of the state. Enjoy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in Miles City so yea about a 6 hour drive from you lol. Just picked this thing up and thinking that will be my next upgrade is doing the front tire.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I thought it was just a "forum fad" at first, but I did notice that anytime I was on anything but pavement or hard packed dirt, I would inevitably have a "crash". I thought my off road riding skills were either really lousy, or they were right about that tire. They were right. ........ I went with the Shinko 244.....
Absolutely that exact thing, right there. If you poke around you'll find lots of the folks with tons of experience saying the same thing. I could have left it on and run it out....but being a new rider I could spend the $80 and not find myself on my face out on the trail somewhere. Just like the footpegs that are 'adequate' to keep your feet from dragging on the ground, but bigger ones are a nice (and safer upgrade)...
There are lots that say it's fine, but they may be much better riders, maybe ride a lot more pave....I don't know.....but I do know that I've spent $80 in way worse ways. For myself, it's much more secure and planted so I'm quite happy to have upgraded. I went with the 241.

I bought into the 90-degree fuel filter craze.....the filters are cheap, and a tiny piece of dirt could ruin your day, so..... And I keep an extra one and a length of fuel line in my toolkit in case the one on there cracks open or something crazy.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Cubby Welcome here, I have two Tw's. before I replaced the front tires, I found for me it was usually coming down hill on roads that had loose rocks and or gravel that would trow me.
I sometimes would just be in first gear crawling and touch the front brakes and the front end would just wash out from under me, I would usually go over the handle bars.
If I new what I new now, I would replace that front tire before it even left the dealer. Im really surprised that they don't suggest it.
I have the Shrinko 244 5.10 on both of mine and could not be happier. :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I depends a bit on what kind of riding you do. If it's mostly pavement, the OEM tire is fine. IF you ride a lot of dirt, sand, rocky terrain (kinda like most of Montana) you may have nasty surprises when you brake hard on a downhill, try to turn sharp a the bottom of a hill, turn too sharp on gravel.....and on and on. The Death Wing is just crap in any of those. Most of us who don't do really aggressive dirt riding and like a tire that still performs well on pavement have changed to the Shinko 241.....and we don't crash much anymore.:p

And welcome to the nuthouse. ;)
I can attest to the original tire's performance when I braked carefully coming downhill on loose, wet gravel. Almost stopped the front tire slid to the right as if hitting an ice patch! I went down like I was shot. Fortunately neither I nor the bike was hurt. I was about a mile and a half in on a forest service road, alone. I resolved I had better not venture off-road alone. Unfortunately, I have no one to ride with.

Oh, and I promptly ordered the Shinko 241 that evening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
779 Posts
Welcome from MI and ditto front tire and handgaurds, then farkle as you spend time on the bike. For me it was bar risers, cell phone mount, gun rack and o - ring chain. Your farkling will vary!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Oops, carb mods, at minimjm adjusting the mixture screw if it is lean popping or cold blooded. A search will reveal several well documented threads on the symptoms and cure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hate to say it, but I have searched a few things on this forum and the search feature sucks. It's easier to go to google and search it there then come back here. I have tried searching the correct oil filter on here and you have to sort through 20 threads that mention filter before you come close to what your looking for.

·
Super Moderator
5,259 Posts
Yeah — the forum search is weak in that respect — so try this …….

If searching for “tw200 front tire” — enter “tw200 front tire site:tw200forum.com” into Google — this will return links on this site only, but you’ll get everything ever written on the subject

You can alter the search by putting “searching for site:twforum.com” to your hearts content — if we haven’t covered it before, it ‘aint worth talking about

Have fun — and remember to ask questions (before making mistakes) — we’re always here to help ….. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts