TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings TW enthusiasts, I have just joined this forum after many years of casually looking up past discussions for helpful hints and stories. I have a 2003 TW with 33,000 miles. I live in Northern California and have taken the bike on many adventures including places in Oregon, Arizona and Utah. Most of the miles have been from commuting 7 miles to work each way. I have been faithful on the oil changes and valve adjustments but that is about it. I am currently in the rebuilding process of a complete tear down. Compression was down to 90 lbs. and it needed a new clutch, had some leaks and all around needed some love. I let my teenage daughter take it on a couple of trips and it didn't come back the same bike. Multiple end overs and biffs. I have had the cylinder bored out .50 ml and have ordered some new suspension parts and lots of new seals and gaskets. I hope I can get it all back together! I may be requesting some advice from you all. Thanks for being out there!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Welcome and best of luck with the freshening up!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome! You might be new to this site but you definitely know your TW well!
Good to see another one being used as intended.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Welcome. My compression at 42,000 miles was only a bad valve so I did a valve job, checked the cylinder for wear (the cylinder was still in spec) and I put it back together with only a valve job. Do check your timing chain guides (plastic) they do tend to wear out. Mine were shot and another member had hit right at 50,000 miles and threw his timing, I suspect the plastic timing chain guides being worn could have caused it. He replaced his engine at that point. I remember the post but not their id.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome Ragweed!

Where are you at in Northern California? Just let us know what you need and we'll do what we can to help you out. That's a lot of 7 mile commutes to reach 33K miles!

Brian
Hey Brian, Thanks! I am in Santa Rosa Ca. about an hour north of San Fran. Today I got started on putting things back together. I got the head set on and the forks all filled, sealed and installed. I mounted the lower portion of the engine and put the rear shock and swing arm in place. I changed out the rear spring to a little stiffer one from pro cycle. Also got new stiffer fork springs from procycle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome. My compression at 42,000 miles was only a bad valve so I did a valve job, checked the cylinder for wear (the cylinder was still in spec) and I put it back together with only a valve job. Do check your timing chain guides (plastic) they do tend to wear out. Mine were shot and another member had hit right at 50,000 miles and threw his timing, I suspect the plastic timing chain guides being worn could have caused it. He replaced his engine at that point. I remember the post but not their id.
Hey Ken, thanks for the info and history on your bike. I was originally told the same thing about the likely bad valve scenario being the cause for low compression, however the machine shop told me my valves were in good shape. The other indicator that it wasn't the valves was I did a wet compression test as well as a dry one. The dry one showed 90lbs (that was after running it and having the normal lube on the piston) The wet test is when I poured some oil down the cylinder from the top and then cranked it over. That gave me 165 lbs. My chain guides seem fine but I do wonder how long that timing chain should last. Have you ever heard of a chain breaking?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Hey Ken, thanks for the info and history on your bike. I was originally told the same thing about the likely bad valve scenario being the cause for low compression, however the machine shop told me my valves were in good shape. The other indicator that it wasn't the valves was I did a wet compression test as well as a dry one. The dry one showed 90lbs (that was after running it and having the normal lube on the piston) The wet test is when I poured some oil down the cylinder from the top and then cranked it over. That gave me 165 lbs. My chain guides seem fine but I do wonder how long that timing chain should last. Have you ever heard of a chain breaking?
I have never heard of the actual chain going bad or failing. It looks like you have cylinder work and new rings going on. I figure if or whenever my cylinder wears that I will probably go ahead and change the chain just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Great to see these high milers and daily riders getting the love they deserve. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Welcome Ragweed, yep get her refreshed and dressed and she will keep on providing miles of smiles. Does the 2003 have kick and electric start? Sure lots of great riding on and off road in your neck of the woods. My Grand Daughter and Great Grand Daughter live in Chico, so my yearly visits to see them always includes me taking my TW or ZX-10 along. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome Ragweed, yep get her refreshed and dressed and she will keep on providing miles of smiles. Does the 2003 have kick and electric start? Sure lots of great riding on and off road in your neck of the woods. My Grand Daughter and Great Grand Daughter live in Chico, so my yearly visits to see them always includes me taking my TW or ZX-10 along. Keep us posted on your progress.
Thanks ZXtasy, there are some great places in the area you're talking about. Whenever I go camping around there or in the Sierras I bring my bike and explore. That's what the TW is good for! My 2003 only has the electric start. I shall be out in the garage again today working on the puzzle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have never heard of the actual chain going bad or failing. It looks like you have cylinder work and new rings going on. I figure if or whenever my cylinder wears that I will probably go ahead and change the chain just for peace of mind.
Hmm, does the timing chain come slip off from the lower sprocket or do you have to break it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts