TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Christian and I have been lurking for a couple of weeks. I am hoping to join the ranks of TW ownership as soon as I find the right one. I am very particular about the machines I purchase, and have been known to take several months to find the "right" one. Hopefully it happens sooner than later as I can't get the TW-200 out of my head!

I have been around motorcycles my entire life, started out riding on my mothers Honda Trail 70. Took a hiatus from riding for about 10 years and recently decided to get back into it. Last year I picked up a really nice 1975 CT-90, and I have had some fun cruising around town with that. A few weeks ago I discovered the TW-200 and really like the styling of the bike, along with the fact that it hasn't changed much since its 1987 introduction. I think the TW will address the shortcomings of my Trail 90. As much as I love it, it seems a bit too anemic and kind of unsafe riding in traffic around where I live. Since I live in a pretty urbanized location (SF Bay Area) the TW will probably spend 90% of its time on the pavement.

I have been on the fence between getting a new TW or a used one. Quickly realized a new one was out of the picture when I visited a dealer and a $4599 MSRP bike quickly approached $6K out the door with their markup, setup fees, and taxes.

I really love the thought of something like a '94 or a '96 with the interesting colors and graphics. But they are tough to find locally, and then living in CA I realized a nice '94 I found is not CA legal and is a 49 state bike so that is a problem. Also would prefer to have something that wont need things like new tires, carb work, etc- so I am leaning now towards a newer used low miles bike. It seems like retrofitting a kick starter shouldn't be too difficult either.

Yesterday I discovered a 2018 for sale about 3 hours away that only has 385 miles, and the guy wants $3500 for it. I plan on contacting him this week and if he still has it checking it out this weekend.

Anyways, heres a photo of my current stable. Hopefully I can make a new thread soon about my first TW!

(guess I cant post pics till I have more posts. I will post once I can!)

-Christian

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Welcome!

Reactions: Purple

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Welcome from WI. Good deals can take some time to find so its good you are patient.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Hi Christian, welcome to the forum!

Where in the Bay area are you located? Let me know if you have any questions or need additional information regarding TW's. I will probably be scheduling another Wrench & Ride if it ever cools off around here, so you'll have a chance to meet up with some fellow NorCal Nutjobs.

Brian

·
Registered
127 Posts
I hope you find the bike you're looking for! There isn't much of a used market where I'm at. Is the dealer markup an industry wide thing or more of a southern California thing?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi Christian, welcome to the forum!

Where in the Bay area are you located? Let me know if you have any questions or need additional information regarding TW's. I will probably be scheduling another Wrench & Ride if it ever cools off around here, so you'll have a chance to meet up with some fellow NorCal Nutjobs.

Brian
Thank you for all the warm welcomes everyone!

I am located in Alameda, CA. Would definitely be interested in meeting up some other enthusiasts and getting involved in some group trail rides once I pick one up! (or in the interim I can play with my Trail 90 if thats allowed lol)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope you find the bike you're looking for! There isn't much of a used market where I'm at. Is the dealer markup an industry wide thing or more of a southern California thing?
From the dealers I have researched here in Northern California it seems common for the dealer markup to be in the range of 400-600. It seems to be a CA thing, as I recall reading a thread that CA is one of the more expensive states to pickup a new TW in.

No problems with me, as along with my vehicles I prefer to buy slightly used and let someone else eat the depreciation off the lot!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
That's a really beautiful 90. You'll fit in perfect with a TW.
Welcome from NY.

mike wex/stagewex

Reactions: Dryden-Tdub

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the Trail 90 love!

I'll share some pics of my other toy that is currently across the country at a friends shop. He did a full frame off restoration, stripped it down and repainted it the factory color. Also went through the mechanicals, and rewired it with a new harness. Just need to work out the details to have it shipped back to me. Obviously still missing the decals, which are fortunately still being reproduced.

Street legal, plated 1970 Trail 70:

·
Registered
606 Posts
I picked mine up a couple weeks ago brand new. After a little Nogales negotiating I told them I was only paying the 5499 and no more or else I will take my business elsewhere. (RENO 289mi. away) As the only dealership around for 200 miles they either fell for my charm, (BS), or decided to eat the add-ons and take what I would give them. Im guessing theres a dealer every other block in the Bay area so what I got away with probably wont fly there. I went with the new over used only because I plan on having it till I kick rocks. And I get a clean slate to work with as I Mod to my liking, not a previous owners.
Welcome aboard. Resized_20180729_092541.jpeg

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
311 Posts
Welcome from Vancouver Island BC!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts