TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm 52, haven't ridden since high school and Santa brought me a 2013 TW200 a few weeks ago. I'm very safety minded and plan on taking it slow as I become a more experience rider I'm looking forward to digesting all the good info on this forum. The bike will be 50/50 on/off road with the off road on a family farm in NC where I also target shoot. I'm an avid target shooter with rifles and handguns, I reload all my own ammo, Advanced Class Ham Radio operator, homebrewer of beer and wine and a mid level prepper. I do an on the air Emergency Preparedness Net meeting on the 147.27 ham radio repeater near Raleigh on Tuesday nights at 9pm. During the day I'm part owner/VP/Technician of Guardian Financial Systems, an independent banking equipment company for ATMs, Alarm, Camera and Vault systems for the financial industry in the Carolinas and Virginia. This really sounds like a friendly forum, I'll try not to ask any blatantly stupid questions. Thanks in advance for any help I may be asking for.
Doug

·
Registered
312 Posts
Lucky dog you wish santa would bring me a new tdub, stupid questions are ok, welcome to the forum. I am a target shooter also ,motorcycls and guns my to favorite things.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Welcome to the forum Doug!

Please post some pictures when you get a chance and let us know what mods you have planned. We've all been where you are with your TW and have already made all the mistakes. We are happy to help you avoid making the same mistakes we did, so just ask your questions and someone will step up to help you.

Brian

·
Registered
309 Posts
Nice congrats!! Santa for me a 2014 tdubya via a trade in for my ex ninja 300abs.. will be picking it up in Spring when its a little warmer..

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Welcome Doug and thanks for filling in your profile and the detailed intro. You would get along famously with a buddy I have in Louisanna who is big in the Ham community. They run around shooting antennas over trees for their portables and lose me when ever they talk tech stuff.

I think you have the perfect Bug Out bike and should have a blast here getting it all decked out with racks and side bags/boxes to carry all your gear and batteries. I am with you on the target shooting and was a WTO for my department. You will find a lot of us here who are in the "over the hill gang". I will hit 62 in a few months and I'm young! You landed in the right place so sit back, read, learn and then start adding to our discussions where you think you can help with all the stuff we get involved in.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
No such thing as blatantly stupid questions. Welcome!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Hi All,
I'm 52, haven't ridden since high school and Santa brought me a 2013 TW200 a few weeks ago. I'm very safety minded and plan on taking it slow as I become a more experience rider I'm looking forward to digesting all the good info on this forum. The bike will be 50/50 on/off road with the off road on a family farm in NC where I also target shoot. I'm an avid target shooter with rifles and handguns, I reload all my own ammo, Advanced Class Ham Radio operator, homebrewer of beer and wine and a mid level prepper. I do an on the air Emergency Preparedness Net meeting on the 147.27 ham radio repeater near Raleigh on Tuesday nights at 9pm. During the day I'm part owner/VP/Technician of Guardian Financial Systems, an independent banking equipment company for ATMs, Alarm, Camera and Vault systems for the financial industry in the Carolinas and Virginia. This really sounds like a friendly forum, I'll try not to ask any blatantly stupid questions. Thanks in advance for any help I may be asking for.
Doug
Welcome!..... questions are not stupid,NOT asking them is the mistake. The bearded fellow must believe you "were" good this year!.....now your doomed for next year (hahaha....hence you have a TW now). Most on this forum are older folks....good group you've hooked-up with!.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Welcome - your questions are anything but foolish - keep them coming as often as you can = it always helps everyone to review questions about our TW''s

·
Registered
814 Posts
Prepper/ham/farm: Look at a CycleRacks.com rear rack to start with. Then a Kick starter kit.

Reactions: GaryL

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Absolutely ask stupid questions. We learn from them all. Welcome to the forum and yes it is a forum that has a lot of old timers. I am 65 and have a couple of them. Like a bit of warmer weather to play though.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Yup! A TW without a kick start is like a Model T with a crank. With a kicker if it is running good they start so easy it's pathetic. With a dead battery and no kicker you better be going down hill.

GaryL

·
Registered
603 Posts
People who ask questions about stuff I know the answer to make me feel sooooo smart! : 0 )

·
Registered
287 Posts
Welcome aboard sir! This is a great community with a bunch of fun people to learn from.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Welcome aboard! I am not quite in the "over the hill gang" yet, but I am working towards getting there every day;). While I am not a HAM, my chosen profession is the repair of VHF, UHF, and microwave radio systems for the Union Pacific Railroad. As said above:
1) This forum is populated with so many great people.
2) 99% of the time, any question you have, already has an answer somewhere in the forum. Usually, the reply to a question is a link to the thread the answer is located in.
3) PICTURES!!!

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
814 Posts
I stopped riding for a few years. One of the first things I did was to take a motorcycle safety course. I couldn't believe all the stuff I had forgotten. In Illinois it is a practically free three day course. It was a fun time with a couple of young people asking why I was taking the course if I already had my license. They had Harleys and needed to take this course to get their licenses. The passing of the course would let them bypass the rider test at the DMV. Silly.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts