TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I just became a member of this Forum, and just brought my new TW200 home tonight, I figured I would ask other members of this Forum what their recommendations are regarding the preferred hitch carrier. I would like to carry my bike behind my motorhome when camping, as well as behind my jeep. I would prefer something aluminum. I am looking forward to your advice. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Hi Chaz,

Congrats on your new bike and welcome to the forum! Carrying your bike on your motorhome shouldn't be a problem with just about any hitch carrier but it may be a problem on your Jeep. What model Jeep do you have?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
My wife has a new 2015 4door JK Wrangler and I have a 1986 CJ8 Scrambler. The Motorhome, as well as both Jeeps, has a 2 inch receiver so whatever I purchase should fit all three vehicles. There may be an exception with the Motorhome though, since I am planning on pulling her JK behind it. In that case though, I would probably mount the TDub to the back of her JK.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Chaz,

Welcome to the Forum.

You many want to find someone in your area that has a hitch carrier so you can "test fit" the carrier for your Jeeps. I have a hitch carrier and the Jeep Liberty will haul the TW just fine. The carrier does not work on our 2010 Jeep Wrangler (2) door. It sags to much and is very unstable. The 4 door model may work better in this regard. I don't have any experience with hauling a TW on a CJ.

Reactions: JerseyJeeper

·
Registered
187 Posts
VersaHaul works for me!

Since I just became a member of this Forum, and just brought my new TW200 home tonight, I figured I would ask other members of this Forum what their recommendations are regarding the preferred hitch carrier. I would like to carry my bike behind my motorhome when camping, as well as behind my jeep. I would prefer something aluminum. I am looking forward to your advice. Thank you in advance.
Welcome to the forum Chaz! I have the good fortune to have a VersaHaul receiver hitch mounted carrier. It is rated at 500lbs capacity so I can carry larger bikes too. I like its adjustable construction though it is heavier than most. It does not wobble like the lighter racks due to the anti tilt device included with the rack (barely visible in the photo), has a wider ramp and rail so the TW easily rolls up and on. It also fits on my wifes JK Wrangler 4 door easily and the carrier is adjustable enough, if needed, to clear the spare on the JK. I have not done it but it has the ability to tow another vehicle behind it as you can see the receiver in the photo. You will want to follow manufacturers instructions on towing behind it. Versahaul

Followedmehome! (1).jpg

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Welcome to the forum Chaz! I have the good fortune to have a VersaHaul receiver hitch mounted carrier. It is rated at 500lbs capacity so I can carry larger bikes too. I like its adjustable construction though it is heavier than most. It does not wobble like the lighter racks due to the anti tilt device included with the rack (barely visible in the photo), has a wider ramp and rail so the TW easily rolls up and on. It also fits on my wifes JK Wrangler 4 door easily and the carrier is adjustable enough, if needed, to clear the spare on the JK. I have not done it but it has the ability to tow another vehicle behind it as you can see the receiver in the photo. You will want to follow manufacturers instructions on towing behind it. Versahaul

View attachment 22404
That's a big plus that you can still tow behind that one.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
That Versahaul puts a huge load on your rear end with the 2' or longer leverage of the tongue weight of the trailer on the end of the hitch added to the 300lbs. of the bike, and the lifting up of the front end. You must check your shocks and rear springs to see if you can handle that, and with the front end lifted up, your steering and headlights will be wrong. You may need a load bearing hitch on the vehicle, not just a frame mounted hitch. On a motorhome it might be OK. Lastly, if you mount a bike back there, make sure you don't block the tail and brakelights or you will need to add extras back there to be visible. For a small vehicle like a Jeep, that hitch won't work, a small trailer is a much better idea.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Chaz, I am currently looking at the same idea for a Jeep YJ with 4" of lift. Did you settle on any sollutions yet and if so how are they working?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

View attachment 22404
I have this VersaHaul carrier too and it is very heavy-duty and fits the TW tires. But it was too heavy to use on my Landcruiser even with a TTR125. I used it a few times on the front of my Dodge 3500 truck and it was fine even with the Cummins engine. It would probably be great on your motorhome, but I'd get a trailer for the Jeep.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a new model hitch carrier from harbor Freight Tool. It's aluminum, not too heavy for my Toyota 4Runner; rides great! The new model has some extra "jaws" which the tighten down on the hitch receiver by tightening a bolt - this prevents wobble very nicely. You can get the carrier for a list price under $150 and they have frequent sales so I got mine for about $115. I also have a small trailer I got from Farm &Fleet for about $450; works great but trailers can be a hassle - much prefer the hitch carrier.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have this VersaHaul carrier too and it is very heavy-duty and fits the TW tires. But it was too heavy to use on my Landcruiser even with a TTR125. I used it a few times on the front of my Dodge 3500 truck and it was fine even with the Cummins engine. It would probably be great on your motorhome, but I'd get a trailer for the Jeep.
Can you explain what happened to your Landcruiser that made you feel "it was too heavy" statement?

My son and I are working on a special bumper/hitch that will carry my TW on the back of a Suzuki Samurai.... It does take some special engineering to distribute the weight forward on the frame with the bike sticking 16 inches out from the back of the Zuke. There is no aftermarket bumper/hitch for the Zuke that can accomplish this. By calculation the weight of the Tdub back there will remove about 200lbs from the front of the Zuke. An easy problem to solve later. My goal is to be able to flat tow the Zuke with the Tdub on the back.

Jim

·
Registered
821 Posts
Look up the specified values on your vehicle as per tongue weight. The TW + the multiplication due to lever arm of
hitch carrier will often exceed rated capacity on 1/2 ton units. An indeed my Landcruiser sags too much and it's rated
as a 3/4 ton truck. Adding a trailer to that? Sounds like trouble. For just hauling the bike, check out Fred's unit. Put's weight
further forward and no back strain loading! Careful with exceeding manufacturer's ratings. In the horrible event of a crash
or even a smart Cop you'll get dinged as you should be.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
139 Posts
I believe this is the one I have:
Aluminum Motorcycle Carrier AMC-400 | Discount Ramps
I bought it used...
It works great on the motorhome, and on the Ridgeline (now retired). I've not tried it on the Jeep (JK-2dr) or Tacoma yet. I recall when I bought the receiver for the Jeep, I found an 'extended' version which is a few inches longer, making it much easier to clear the spare tire.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Look for a used Trailer in a Bag. I have one and use it to haul bikes. They are fantastic, break down and can be stored in your trunk, have very little tongue weight, and don't hardly effect gas mileage. I pull mine with my Subaru and still get 30 mpg on the highway. We also pull it with our RV. You may be able to find one used around $500. They stopped making them a few years back.

Jeff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts