TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excited to pick up my 1999 TW200 project tomorrow and thought I would saw hello and show off my new prize. Haven't seen it in person but hopefully with the low mileage it shouldn't be that hard to get going...hopefully.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
IF,,,,,,,if it's not fried somehow, you stole it. You will find most, if not everything you will need in the classifieds here to be back on the road in no time. Welcome to Misfit paradise. We're all here livin' the dream.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was running when it was parke a few years ago she told me. She just doesnt have time or the knowhow to fix it...not sure I do either but going to try. Any suggestions on where to start? I was thinking of putting some lube down into the cylinder and let it sit in case rings are stuck, change oil and spark plug, air filter then just go from there. Anything else i should do before trying to run it?

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
It was running when it was parke a few years ago she told me. She just doesnt have time or the knowhow to fix it...not sure I do either but going to try. Any suggestions on where to start? I was thinking of putting some lube down into the cylinder and let it sit in case rings are stuck, change oil and spark plug, air filter then just go from there. Anything else i should do before trying to run it?
Here's a good thread to get you started:

http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/10798-how-bring-sitting-bike-back-life.html

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Brian for that link and again for the warm welcomes. I will take lots of pics and i am sure i will have loads of questions for you guys

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Hopefully for $300CAD I can make my money back if I can't get it to go and thanks for the warm welcomes. I am keeping my fingers crossed that she is a runner.
I will give you $400 US for it right now!:cool:

In the middle picture just don't try adding oil or coolant under that cap.:eek:

It appears to have been laid down with some damage to the front headlight and control center. All those parts are readily available from a number of sources but make sure the forks are not bent. Please do read my write up Bringing a sitting bike back to life and follow a plan before you even try to get that nice bike running again. Chances are the engine is fine but you can be sure the fuel delivery system is in need of immediate attention from the tank and right through the carb/ air box so don't rush it. Done right and with some additional cash outlay you will have a fine machine that could provide years of fun or even make you some nice profit.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
Judging from the pics, the entire plastics on the front end have been scraped off - the clue is the marks on what is left of the speedo casing. The ignition barrel is also missing, the yellow wires below are to “jump” the ignition – which tells me she’s ridden it since it got mauled.

It’s worth more than you paid for it in parts, and “may” be recoverable” – and it’s a ‘98

That’s the good news …….

The bad news is that you have to tread carefully at this point – both with the bike itself, and the paperwork. As far as the paperwork goes, make sure you have the title in your hands, and that the numbers match the ones on the bikes headstock. There’s a slim chance that since the bike was so mashed up, it changed hands without any “attention to detail”.

As for the bike – follow Gary’s advice carefully – you can chuck some oil down the plug hole first, but don’t even think about turning that engine over yet. Concentrate on the fuel tank and the carb first, then take a look at the air filter. Leave the wiring as it is for now, if it worked for the PO it will probably work for you to test fire it. Once you know the bike will run, then you can play with the wiring – not before (or you’ll never find the fault).

I’d be very surprised if that front end wasn’t twisted, as it looks like it kissed a combine harvester. Most of it’s common sense – loosen off the bolts before you try to straighten it up. If it is bent, then you have a decision to make – scrap or recover.

Meanwhile – this may present an opportunity to do a round headlight conversion, speedo / indicator clusters tend to be pricey, but I’ve got a set here you can have if you’ll cover the postage from the UK (the speedo is in Kms).

Be gentle with her – and don’t fight what you don’t understand – just ask on here and we’ll walk you through it …….

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
DrT, I have turnsignals for you if you need them. Let me know, and I'll send them to you. They will be free for you to get your new prize on the road. I guess that is, if you're wanting to ride on the street???

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
DrT, I have turnsignals for you if you need them. Let me know, and I'll send them to you. They will be free for you to get your new prize on the road. I guess that is, if you're wanting to ride on the street???
Another example of great folks here helping others!! Good for you Tom!! +1 :D

1 - 20 of 68 Posts