TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2003 BMW 1200LT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I do not currently own a TW or any small bike, and haven't for decades. I've been a BMW rider since about Y2K and before that I spread it around between Suzukis and Hondas, always big bikes if possible, back to college days. Before that I got a brain cloud for awhile and rode a hardtail Sportster, lol. OK, so back to the present, my wingman/best friend and I have been doing long rides since early 80s when we decided if it was worth going and seeing it was worth riding the whole way so we did. After lo, these many years, his neck and my left knee no longer appreciate the gross tonnage of our bikes and the physics involved at low/no speeds so we are making existential decisions, lol. I did some off-road when young so would like to see some of the sites we missed all these years when we didn't voluntarily do gravel/dirt and I am no longer feeling the thrill of it all anyway so I am at peace with walking away from the luxobarge and into something fun, capable of adventure and light enough to put on a little trailer or hitch carrier and drive to places we have never been to-date. Blah blah, sorry for the word-count...

My main interest in TWs concerns my other hobby which has been 4X4 Jeeps in NM and CO all these years with the wife, and we have done the most popular up in SW CO (Ouray), etc. I really need to know if these little guys with their carbs and meager torque can get over mtn passes such as Engineer, Imogene, other places similar because I still want some challenges and riding these in places where I have been in Jeeps the past 30 years kind of combines old/new and freshens up the old competitive juices, etc. I swore off carbs many years ago and am not interested in spending hours rejetting and such. I DO know many people ride these at higher altitudes (TDUBsKid and others) but has anyone put them over similar locations as I've mentioned? I'm 5'10" and 215 so not a whopper but not exactly Twiggy, lol. I've read a lot and followed a lot of people with these bikes and I am really tempted as soon as I can move my bike.

Apparently in a fit of insanity which I don't recall, I promised my wife long ago I would always have just one bike after my wingman's wife told tales of the four or five in HER husband's garage...I am suspicious about her memory but nothing I can do about it so I am currently figuring out how to say goodbye to my old friend in the garage and then look for a likely new friend here or somewhere else. I suspect my friend will eventually do the same thing. I confess I have never sold a bike to a stranger, always a fellow rider or dealer trade-in so I find myself uncertain how to navigate this milestone, lol. Anyway, apologies again for the mega blarney, if I can get some underpin that these bikes can get me over some 12k' passes and not quit on me then I am pretty much sold on them, thanks! I am pretty mechanically-inclined so upgrades and mods are no issue if something like Lectrons or pilot jet mods actually do help in the scenarios I have presented. Plus, I live at about 1200' so likely a lot of my seat time will be in places where jetting is no issue, anyway.

I am also currently searching for specific examples mentioned so doing my best to find results! I swear I will never type so many words again. :sneaky:

·
Super Moderator
18,385 Posts
I hate typing too. But once having learned what jets work from the masters here, no I'm not one of of them, you can re-jet these in 15 minutes and less right along the trail side for the tall hills/hugemountains there in Colorado, (been there/done that) and this is a great forum here, best online motorcycle forum in the world today, with many, more than willing to help, you will be helped guaranteed. So jump right in and ask any question. And these TW's cheaply and easily turn into Tractor/Jeeps and they will go anywhere you dare take them or die on you right then and there trying. haha In winter, just use a health dose of Sta-Bil maybe even some SeaFoam with it. I have never once not been able to start my bike and never had to open one either doing this.

Reactions: Rickster

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Hey Rickster, welcome to the forum!

I suggest that you introduce yourself to Fred, one of our higher altitude riders.

·
Registered
2003 BMW 1200LT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hate typing too. But once having learned what jets work from the masters here, no I'm not one of of them, you can re-jet these in 15 minutes right along the trail side and less for the tall hills/hugemountains there in Colorado, (been there/done that) and this is a great forum here, best online motorcycle forum in the world today, with many, more than willing to help, you will be helped guaranteed. So jump right in and ask any question. And these TW's cheaply and easily turn into Tractor/Jeeps and they will go anywhere you dare take them or die on you right then and there trying. haha In winter, just use a health dose of Sta-Bil maybe even some SeaFoam with it. I have never once not been able to start my bike and never had to open one either doing this.
View attachment 209634
View attachment 209635
Thanks, Tommy. I have spent the better part of this afternoon looking around here and it reminds me of a couple of my favorite forums that have been my mainstay for my other toys, lol. So when you say "been there done that" do you mean you have done some trails similar to those in Ouray and it was able to pull you up similar passes? That is good news, if so. I once had a 73 Blazer that I had modded and had an Edelbrock carb with tunable jet kit and yet at 10800 feet the leanest jet still let black smoke come out and the poor thing died in the middle of a place called Poughkeepsie Gulch, lol...not that I would take a TW up that...unless it would do it, hmmm :unsure:.

·
Registered
2003 BMW 1200LT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Rickster, welcome to the forum!

I suggest that you introduce yourself to Fred, one of our higher altitude riders.

Thanks! I saw a couple of urban legends about Fred, sounds like my kind of biker trash, lol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've heard two rules for the correct number of bikes:
Amount = n + 1, where n = current # of bikes, and
Amount = s - 1, where s = # of bikes that will cause Significant Other to leave you.

I too hope to take my TW over some of the high scenery in the San Juans. Hopefully someone has, and can advise on the need to rejet or not.

·
Registered
2003 BMW 1200LT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've heard two rules for the correct number of bikes:
Amount = n + 1, where n = current # of bikes, and
Amount = s - 1, where s = # of bikes that will cause Significant Other to leave you.

I too hope to take my TW over some of the high scenery in the San Juans. Hopefully someone has, and can advise on the need to rejet or not.
:D your calculus voodoo sounds good in theory but will not affect the mojo of someone who doesn't concern herself with facts or science, merely what she believes she recalls :ROFLMAO:but thanks for trying to help! I have heard a few say they made it over some high passes on the TAT without jetting although it was not easy to restart...and I have heard a few report they popped in some leaner needles and it ran ok but reduced HP, so no surprise there. I have even briefly entertained the idea of looking at VanVans with their FI but the overall TW world sounds much more fun.

·
Super Moderator
18,385 Posts
Thanks, Tommy. I have spent the better part of this afternoon looking around here and it reminds me of a couple of my favorite forums that have been my mainstay for my other toys, lol. So when you say "been there done that" do you mean you have done some trails similar to those in Ouray and it was able to pull you up similar passes? That is good news, if so. I once had a 73 Blazer that I had modded and had an Edelbrock carb with tunable jet kit and yet at 10800 feet the leanest jet still let black smoke come out and the poor thing died in the middle of a place called Poughkeepsie Gulch, lol...not that I would take a TW up that...unless it would do it, hmmm :unsure:.
I'm mostly a street bike or superbike one liter or more cruise along guy for the last 56-57 years. I have been out there a little bit though, But I'm not young anymore, if fact I almost or could have died a week ago and I'm a fat dude, and even a super turbo powered TW with all the gadgets and trimming's available will gasp gasp and gasp for air horribly trying to haul my fat A** around even on the flat, let alone up a hill. One guy we heard about here weighted 540 or 560 lbs. and the mighty TW hauled him around, I'm not all that, but they are pretty capable bikes, surprisingly so. I lived in Junction 25 years ago and hope to get back someday, even though it will be for just a short visit. Yeah talk to Fred, or Admiral and a couple others I can't think of at the moment. Welcome to the forum!

·
Super Moderator
18,385 Posts
I will say though that I once had the fastest 87 TW on the forum here. Even with a fat boy riding it. 👍 and I didn't realize it but as I started to lose a bit of weight, I had to be real real careful too, one tiny tiny twist to much on the throttle and that front tire lifted right off the ground, quick too, even had to be careful with second gear. Had to lay over the tank to help prevent flipping the bike right over with a instant wheelie. One second touch the throttle, next sec laying on the ground behind the bike moaning in pain, watching the now racing away bike without me on it disappearing in the distance.

·
Registered
2003 BMW 1200LT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm mostly a street bike or superbike one liter or more cruise along guy for the last 56-57 years. I have been out there a little bit though, But I'm not young anymore, if fact I almost or could have died a week ago and I'm a fat dude, and even a super turbo powered TW with all the gadgets and trimming's available will gasp gasp and gasp for air horribly trying to haul my fat A** around even on the flat, let alone up a hill. One guy we heard about here weighted 540 or 560 lbs. and the mighty TW hauled him around, I'm not all that, but they are pretty capable bikes, surprisingly so. I lived in Junction 25 years ago and hope to get back someday, even though it will be for just a short visit. Yeah talk to Fred, or Admiral and a couple others I can't think of at the moment. Welcome to the forum!
Well you have me by a few years apparently and a few pounds, but I have heard the TW can tractor around pretty well. I am still trying to reroute my brain to start thinking a carb would be anything other than a pain in the tucus, lol, especially at altitude but it is getting there. My searches on FB Marketplace have been mostly for TWs (a few), XT250s (some) and XT225s with the 6 speed (none). One guy saw my bike avatar and wanted to do a trade for his 2017 KLX250 but I sat on one not long ago and did not like the idea of standing on one leg on the side of a hill, lol. I have been through Grand Junction, if that is where you meant, many time when young, we had rancher friends out that way, impressive vistas.

·
Registered
2003 BMW 1200LT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will say though that I once had the fastest 87 TW on the forum here. Even with a fat boy riding it. 👍 and I didn't realize it but as I started to lose a bit of weight, I had to be real real careful too, one tiny tiny twist to much on the throttle and that front tire lifted right off the ground, quick too, even had to be careful with second gear. Had to lay over the tank to help prevent flipping the bike right over with a instant wheelie. One second touch the throttle, next sec laying on the ground behind the bike moaning in pain, watching the now racing away bike without me on it disappearing in the distance.
ouch! I once almost came completely over when I rode a CBX when it first came out. I was young and impetuous and when the wheel came up I was not prepared, not sure which angel was involved in convincing me to let go of the throttle but it came back down and I was a changed puppy, lol. Scratched "wheelies" off the list. I saw a Brit fellow I think, put a turbo and FI on his TW...also he blew it up, lol, but still...

·
Super Moderator
18,385 Posts
Ask these guys, hopefully they will chime in, perfect in every way and all you could wish for, no, it isn't that, fast on the highway, no, it isn't that either. But cheap and easy to work on, yea, pretty much that. It can do a lot of things pretty good, all of them no. I want another one, I need that low to the ground bike again. They are so good that I even offered up a 2000 mile now, 2016 Honda CRF 250L very clean except dust and a little mud on it with mods, a garage queen beautiful bike and no one will even consider letting me have theirs. That must say something about TW's. I don't like carbs either especially if their are 4 or even 6 of them on it, and am now spoiled with fuel injection too, but I never had a problem once with it if I winterized it right. Yeah Grand Junction.

·
Super Moderator
18,385 Posts
Now I may or may not be just teasing and having fun with you a tiny tiny bit, but 99.9 percent not and true fact on the TW stuff. I did have a V-Strom 1000 awhile back that was so sketchy, I worried about riding it in the rain or wet roads and I'm an experienced rider, and I still am a bit crazy and will still do a wheelie if the bike will do it and God's had to have had his angels around me since almost before being born. True Fact But with that V-strom, if I only gave it the least little bit to much throttle and I don't mean much, it did come right up. Out with a biker friend on his trike one day, flew past him on one wheel smiling over at him before he knew what was happening, he couldn't believe his eyes. I did think it might be wise to change the throttle tube to something quite not so rapidly and instantly acting. I did feel safer after that, and I'm not usually afraid of much at all. An adrenalin junkie perhaps? Maybe. Good thing they didn't have bat suits way back when...or big enough ones for fat guys.... Still want to skydive and leap out of a plane, but better not. I will break something for sure or I would. I have suffered enough pain for now.

·
Super Moderator
18,385 Posts
ouch! I once almost came completely over when I rode a CBX when it first came out. I was young and impetuous and when the wheel came up I was not prepared, not sure which angel was involved in convincing me to let go of the throttle but it came back down and I was a changed puppy, lol. Scratched "wheelies" off the list. I saw a Brit fellow I think, put a turbo and FI on his TW...also he blew it up, lol, but still...
Never actually dumped or flipped over any bike I owned, I did though at 13 or 14 convince a kid with a brand new 125 Suz or Yammy that he wasn't supposed to have taken out or ridden without his dad there, but had sneaked it out to show us because he was so proud of it, once to let me try his, lying through my teeth of my vast motorcycling experience. We were in high school grounds out near the track and baseball diamond. Once on his brand new bike, headed towards the pitchers mound, flew off it perfectly landed and then realized I was headed fast, probably 35 mph towards the solid wooden backstop behind the batter, realized oh ohh, I would not be able to even begin to stop or slow down, had to dump it or kill myself. I can still see that bike hit, bounce around like a golf ball, then rolling it back to him with crankcase pouring oil out everywhere, shifter sheared right off, mirror hanging by a thread swinging, I told the kid that I thought it was ok, probably didn't really hurt it much or at all, bla bla bla, boy was there hell to pay for that one. I hoped and prayed the whole thing was over and no one would remember that one. I went home hoping and praying somehow nothing would happen, sure enough after that kids dad got home, they came knocking on the door. Boy was I in trouble.... I got the crap beat out of me for that one. No wonder when later on less than 2 years later when I could almost get my bike license and had found a 57 hardtail Triumph 500 in show room condition, with two full roll around tool boxes, leather for two, and helmets plus... and I was willing to accept a little 500 if I had too, but had wanted and dreamed for a few years of a bonnie 650 twin carb'ed beauty, I can even hear one now thinking about it. But I would take a 500 if I had too. This guy was going out to sea in the navy in a couple weeks and I was his paperboy. Said 85 bucks for the works. I ran home and begged and begged my dad, he said no, that was final and the issue was over, don't even bring it up again, ever. And I wonder why he hated me so much, and there are two other things I recently remembered. Yeah, I know why he hated me now, I do.

·
Registered
2003 BMW 1200LT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ask these guys, hopefully they will chime in, perfect in every way and all you could wish for, no, it isn't that, fast on the highway, no, it isn't that either. But cheap and easy to work on, yea, pretty much that. It can do a lot of things pretty good, all of them no. I want another one, I need that low to the ground bike again. They are so good that I even offered up a 2000 mile now, 2016 Honda CRF 250L very clean except dust and a little mud on it with mods, a garage queen beautiful bike and no one will even consider letting me have theirs. That must say something about TW's. I don't like carbs either especially if their are 4 or even 6 of them on it, and am now spoiled with fuel injection too, but I never had a problem once with it if I winterized it right. Yeah Grand Junction.
Haha, garage queen! If those 250Ls were a couple inches shorter I might trade you my bike which I know would carry you around nobly :).

·
Registered
2003 BMW 1200LT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now I may or may not be just teasing and having fun with you a tiny tiny bit, but 99.9 percent not and true fact on the TW stuff. I did have a V-Strom 1000 awhile back that was so sketchy, I worried about riding it in the rain or wet roads and I'm an experienced rider, and I still am a bit crazy and will still do a wheelie if the bike will do it and God's had to have had his angels around me since almost before being born. True Fact But with that V-strom, if I only gave it the least little bit to much throttle and I don't mean much, it did come right up. Out with a biker friend on his trike one day, flew past him on one wheel smiling over at him before he knew what was happening, he couldn't believe his eyes. I did think it might be wise to change the throttle tube to something quite not so rapidly and instantly acting. I did feel safer after that, and I'm not usually afraid of much at all. An adrenalin junkie perhaps? Maybe. Good thing they didn't have bat suits way back when...or big enough ones for fat guys.... Still want to skydive and leap out of a plane, but better not. I will break something for sure or I would. I have suffered enough pain for now.
Keto, Tom! I was down below 200 last year before I got arrogant and decided to let pizza and bread back into the house. trying to get back again, especially if I get a TW, let me carry more fuel and less me, lol.

·
Super Moderator
18,385 Posts
Haha, garage queen! If those 250Ls were a couple inches shorter I might trade you my bike which I know would carry you around nobly :).
I lowered it already.

·
Registered
2003 BMW 1200LT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am looking at an ad for a 2020 TW200, 1500 miles, brown, looks good although only 3 pics...$3000? Seem a little low??

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
I am looking at an ad for a 2020 TW200, 1500 miles, brown, looks good although only 3 pics...$3000? Seem a little low??
Yes, but if you offered him more he would probably take it ;)!

Just kidding you. That would be a great price for a 2020, but of course it all depends on the condition of the bike and the seller's reason(s) for selling it. I'd say it's worth a quick look because it won't last long at that price.

·
Registered
2003 BMW 1200LT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, but if you offered him more he would probably take it ;)!

Just kidding you. That would be a great price for a 2020, but of course it all depends on the condition of the bike and the seller's reason(s) for selling it. I'd say it's worth a quick look because it won't last long at that price.
He is saying trade only, asked a couple of questions. From his profile he does have a lot of toys so I've know lots of guys who wheel and deal. All I have to trade is my bike and that is a little too low for an even swap, lol. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts