TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

New Member w new TW200

4K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Getsum 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of buying a stock 2009 TW200 with 1200 miles in EXCELLENT condition from a friend. It is at a shop because he went to start it after not running it for 2-3 years and it wont stay running without the choke on. He said he put a new battery in it and it starts right up but wouldn't stay running. I have a few questions about that I believe this forum would be very helpful with. First off I live in SETX but I plan on bringing it to my small ranch in Junction(TX Hill Country) as a back up hunting vehicle and to run to the river to soak after a hard days work and run into town(8 miles down a winding highway)when I didn't need the truck to haul stuff. I have 2 pretty steep mainly smallish gravel roads on my property. You need a 4x4 four wheeler, 4x4 side by side or 4x4 truck to get up the roads. Will the TW be good for that and what tires are best for that scenario? Also, he is asking $3,000 for it, I initially thought that was too much given where we live and the current CV situation but I just don't know enough about these bikes and what they go for. I want to make a fair deal with my friend. Lastly, is there anything I should check because it has been sitting for so long? Or maybe have him ask the mechanic to check certain items while it is there?

#2 ·
Carb idle circuit is just plugged. Classic problem when parked for awhile. The idle jet is so small you'll think you have it cleared out visually when there is still some debris. My opinion, $3000 is WAY too much for an 11 year old TW. About what the MSRP was in 2009. Mileage on them really doesn't matter, except this one has been sitting around, with old oil and bad gas. You've described a bike that has been NEGLECTED, not preserved!

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RickyB
#3 ·
Even if stored indoors, 2-3 years without running is about the worst thing that anyone could do to a TW with the exception of giving it to a teenager. :eek: You will have to clean the entire fuel system, change the oil twice within 5 hours, replace the tires which have become brittle after 11 years (nothing to do with storage and a good time to replace the front Death Wing with a real tire like the Shinko 241).
It's entirely possible there is internal rust in this machine if it was stored in a humid environment. Oil drains off surfaces after about a year unless the machine was properly mothballed, something that is extremely rare. The idea that this bike is in excellent condition is a bad joke unless it really was mothballed. I would not give more than $2,000 for it and expect a lot of work.

#4 ·
Bet the OP thought I was being "unreasonable"!

Reactions: admiral
#5 ·
Hate to concur, but unless he foots the entire bill to get it running right (total carb rebuild) fresh oil, etc., 2000.00 is the max you should pay. I bought a brand new 2012 for 3600 out the door. As for how it can handle the roads you mention, the TW is the WWII Jeep of motorcycles, low geared, even with stock front tire can crawl its way up or down amazing terrain. Spring for a new front tire for sure (see posts here). H0pe you get to enjoy!

#6 ·
Price is high for an eleven year old bike that doesn't run perfect. The pilot jet is plugged and the carb will have to be pulled. I would not worry much about anything else except for an oil change, fresh fuel and tire pressures.

#7 ·
Definitely have to include the costs of replacing those old tires. We don't even know if there a good title or if there are penalties for not keeping the TW registered and insured. In 12 I bought a 09 with 128 miles. Never titled, but the MSO had been completed to the Original Purchaser, who was no where to be found. Clearing that mess up was 90 days and $300 worth of fun. Buyer beware, and find out what you don't know, BEFORE you buy.

#8 ·
I recently purchased a similar TW. I paid 2600 for a 2010 with 1360 miles. After agreeing to sell to me he said he had countless offers, even people willing to pay more than what he was asking. He stuck with our agreed on price as I offered a cash deposit and we shook on it. Glad I was first. He held it for the weekend so I could get the rest of the cash and do the transfer. Needless to say these are pretty desirable bikes that hold value well.

The bike did sit a lot in the ranchers barn, but he got it running (battery, gas, oil change) and cleaned up well before posting for sale. We also live in a low humidity area. I have had 0 issues so far in 200ish miles I've put on in the last 2 weeks. It's got the original tires, and they are in surprisingly good shape for being 10 years old. Aside from some easy routine maintenance (valve adjustment, clean/lube chain, tire pressure) I haven't had to put a dollar into it. Also didn't have to pull the carb yet, not sure if the rancher already did that. I plan on doing much, much more with this bike over the years, but so far it's been an absolute champ. Maybe I got lucky.

In Wyoming we have some "roads" that would be ridiculous to bring anything other than a rock crawler or high clearance ATV on. So far I haven't met an obstacle the TW couldn't get past. Last weekend I went down one of those roads. Steep, extremely rocky, and wet. It was there that I realized I made the right choice in my purchase! I even rode to the trail on a 55mph highway. This bike does it all.

All that said. I don't think 3000 is a fair deal. Even if it was running well like mine, 3000 is steep. These bikes hold value, but it's all about condition. If I were you I'd show interest in it, but make it clear to your friend that 3000 in it's current condition is out of range. Even in running condition that's too much unless there are some add ons that suit your needs. 2000ish current condition, 2500ish reliably running, more if tires are replaced. IMO

#9 ·
I recently purchased a similar TW. I paid 2600 for a 2010 with 1360 miles. After agreeing to sell to me he said he had countless offers, even people willing to pay more than what he was asking. He stuck with our agreed on price as I offered a cash deposit and we shook on it. Glad I was first. He held it for the weekend so I could get the rest of the cash and do the transfer. Needless to say these are pretty desirable bikes that hold value well.

The bike did sit a lot in the ranchers barn, but he got it running (battery, gas, oil change) and cleaned up well before posting for sale. We also live in a low humidity area. I have had 0 issues so far in 200ish miles I've put on in the last 2 weeks. It's got the original tires, and they are in surprisingly good shape for being 10 years old. Aside from some easy routine maintenance (valve adjustment, clean/lube chain, tire pressure) I haven't had to put a dollar into it. Also didn't have to pull the carb yet, not sure if the rancher already did that. I plan on doing much, much more with this bike over the years, but so far it's been an absolute champ. Maybe I got lucky.

In Wyoming we have some "roads" that would be ridiculous to bring anything other than a rock crawler or high clearance ATV on. So far I haven't met an obstacle the TW couldn't get past. Last weekend I went down one of those roads. Steep, extremely rocky, and wet. It was there that I realized I made the right choice in my purchase! I even rode to the trail on a 55mph highway. This bike does it all.

All that said. I don't think 3000 is a fair deal. Even if it was running well like mine, 3000 is steep. These bikes hold value, but it's all about condition. If I were you I'd show interest in it, but make it clear to your friend that 3000 in it's current condition is out of range. Even in running condition that's too much unless there are some add ons that suit your needs. 2000ish current condition, 2500ish reliably running, more if tires are replaced. IMO
"It's got the original tires, and they are in surprisingly good shape for being 10 years old."
Are you planning on putting new tires on? We hear this all the time around here and usually folks think they are just fine, but a tire that old, has hardened, is no longer sticky and flexible and should be replaced. 55 mph on these could kill you....

#14 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. He has brought it to a local shop to have the carb cleaned and fluids changed on his dime. Told the mechanic to go through it and make sure its running correctly. I will show him this post and negotiate a fair deal. It does have a rear rack on it. If I end up with it, Ill post pics.

#18 ·
Ricky – first up – welcome to the board

“Friend” or not, that bike is worth around 2500 tops, and that’s “fully sorted”. If he’s getting the fluids and the carb done on his dime, fair enough, but that just brings it up to my definition of “fully sorted”

After which, you will need to do the following:. New boots and panties. This means a new stock rear, and a Shinko 241 up front, the panties are the air filter, which although as cheap as chips, will have turned to dust from sitting

Steering head bearings: These traditionally “notch” after a while (say 10 years or so), at which point the “All Balls” brand is recommended as a replacement

Add an “X” ring chain, and you can see the final costs are starting to approach the 3k he’s asking for it now

If he argues, pat him on the head – and walk away ……

#20 ·
When I sold tires, we called it MichelinMotorhomeitis. Early summer, just as it gets good and hot, in comes a motorhome with California plates. Usual story is a 12 year old rig with stock Michelin tires that have near new tread depth with 20,000 miles.

By the time these folks had traveled up I-5 from LA to sunny southern Oregon, they had experienced their third failure and usually had body damage to the coach. And they we're ready to sue those rascals at Michelin and anyone else in the loop.

Fortunately for me, they had already heard my speech from that tire guy in Sacramento and that tire guy in Redding. Those tires are dying of old age just like Gramaw did and the tread depth has nothing to do with it.

Almost always, they we're ready for all new tires and almost always they had already purchased two.

It happened about twice each year exactly like that. New tires are cheap if you do it in your home town on a weekend.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

#22 ·
No, you certainly won't! Everything said here about old rubber is true, and on a TW where you are going to find out that truth is during a panic stop, or maximum effort stop as motorcycle instructors like to call it, when the old rubber will skid significantly sooner than new pliable rubber, or in a turn that you suddenly have to tighten up to the limit of traction, when the same thing will happen.

Don't believe for a minute that you can do what Anthony Hopkins did in The World's Fastest Indian and use shoe polish to freshen up the rubber!! :eek: (But he couldn't turn that thing, nor could he stop it in less than half a mile!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.