·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an '87
00a0a_2Z4AiMQCXer_1200x900.jpg
Cleaned it up and did the maintenance.
20160526_152512.jpg
Loved it so much I sold so it so I could buy a '16!
Bought it with 1 mile on it and I'm up to 85.
Without this forum and its great members I wouldn't have been able to farkle the F out of it...so Thanks!
20160609_152948.jpg
Jimbo Sport Shield
Borrego Cargo Rack
Stash Box
ProTaper Bars
IMS Footpegs
LED Taillight bulb
GregM LED/Tie Downs
and waiting for my mekdad oil cooler

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Welcome aboard Bob!
Love your bike and good farkles...

·
Registered
20,192 Posts
From the number of TrailWays pictured I think Bob has been bitten by the TW bug. Should we tell him there seems to be no cure?

With a little black paint that '87 kick starter lever would have looked mighty fine on the new '16.
(As you can see I have learned to pay attention to TW-Brian's observations....he too has been bitten by the bug.):rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Hey Bob, have you noticed that the new one isn't as fast as the '87? I love my '87. It's a bit beat up, and dirty, but it's very fast. Welcome to the finest bunch of misfits on the planet,,,,,,,hell, finest in the galaxy!

·
Super Moderator
17,968 Posts
Welcome!! Nice bike!! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Bob, welcome to the forum!

You should have pulled the kicker out your '87 before you sold it ;)!
Yes! I thought about it. I'll find one eventually.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Bob, have you noticed that the new one isn't as fast as the '87? I love my '87. It's a bit beat up, and dirty, but it's very fast. Welcome to the finest bunch of misfits on the planet,,,,,,,hell, finest in the galaxy!
It did seem faster, granted it had 4k miles on it so I could drive it like I stole it. I've been real easy with the new one, only pounded it a couple of times. When I was fixing up the 87 I noticed the rear sprocket was stamped 55, and I believe the new one is a 50, so that might account for the perceived speed difference.

·
Registered
545 Posts
It did seem faster, granted it had 4k miles on it so I could drive it like I stole it. I've been real easy with the new one, only pounded it a couple of times. When I was fixing up the 87 I noticed the rear sprocket was stamped 55, and I believe the new one is a 50, so that might account for the perceived speed difference.
The 55 rear most likely did have something to do with it,
But the 87 is the swiftest,
I love my 03,
But the 87 is peppier,
Keep the pictures coming !

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
fwiw.. It looks from the parts list that the 87's came with a 49 tooth rear sprocket. In case you ever wanted to go back to stock.

The 55 rear most likely did have something to do with it,
But the 87 is the swiftest,
I love my 03,
But the 87 is peppier,
Keep the pictures coming !

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bitten buy the TW bug.......... I'd say the whole swarm got him. Bob has almost as many TWs as he does posts. LOL! Impressive. Wonder if that "I love it so much" schpeel will fly with the boss lady here? My 2003 is a littler older now, ya know. Welcome Bob! I really like the colors and stuff on the new ones. Good looking bike. I also like the '03 colors as a favorite and just lucked into that when I was looking. I would have bought a pink and brown one and been happy though. Would have probably not washed it much.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
The '16 TW are beautiful and for me that is their downfall. The first scratch, the first dent, the first fleck of mud to hit it would be more pain than I could stand.

My two '87's on the other hand, when they hit the ground sideways, I pick them up and go. I don't even look for a dent or scratch and they are already so dirty a little more doesn't matter.

Congratulations on your new toy. I am sure you are going to enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts