TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I’m Justin

A few weeks my grandfather called me and offered up his 2008 TW200 with 272 miles on it, I couldn’t turn down the offer for a free bike!

The bike would only run on choke so I pulled the carb off and cleaned out the jets and carb quick and dirty with some hobby drill bits and brake clean. Bike popped right off afterwards. I also gave the bike a good cleaning the other day. Looks like new minus some peeling paint on the swing arm near the lower shock mount.

Some background about me. I grew up riding and working on dirt bikes, I currently have several other bikes and I also went to tech school to wrench on bikes for a living but didn’t stay in that field being that NE Ohio makes it hard to work year round on bikes and make a living. So I’m still a mechanic/ truck driver but my focus is farm equipment and big trucks/ heavy machinery.

Here are a few pictures of the bike cleaned up.

·
Super Moderator
17,630 Posts
Welcome!! :D

·
Registered
287 Posts
What a Grandmedown! Good for you and welcome to the fold. Only been here a very short time myself but this forum is full of great people with lots of knowledge and patience.

Marty

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Whats funny is I have a tendency to heavily modify all of my toys but as I was pulling away with my grandpas bike, he said “hey Justin, keep it stock” he knows me too well lol.

I really want to do some useful mods like grip and seat heating elements, maybe a rear rack. But my first mod would probably be the larger foot pegs, I can’t believe the PW uses the same ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also forgot to mention I was with him the day he bought the bike because he was looking for my advice on a bike to get for his needs. I used this bike to get my license when I was 18 because all of my bikes weren’t exactly “street legal” but they were plated.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Welcome aboard Justin...sounds like you'll fit right in!

Tell good ol' Grampaw I love him...

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
In the world of TWs the term "keep it stock" does not in any way mean you should not add farkles that work for your needs. If you want wide pegs or a rack or brush guards then just go for them but always keep the stock parts you removed. Modifications that can't be easily reversed is what I think would be a shame on such a nice and useful bike but then the bike is yours and you are free to do whatever you want with it. The closer to full stock the bike remains the more it will retain its actual value. Just keep in mind it is a TW200 and will never be a hot rod either on the road or off but it will be a great mule that can take you many miles through rough terrain. Do as your generous grandfather asked and just enjoy the bike for what it is and go have fun on it.

GaryL

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ll ride these tires for a bit but it will also be a short commute to work is about all I’ll be doing, about 6 miles a day. I do want to find something better suited for street and still decent on dirt, I’m getting shinkos for my wr426 first and I’ll test it on that.

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
I’ll ride these tires for a bit but it will also be a short commute to work is about all I’ll be doing, about 6 miles a day. I do want to find something better suited for street and still decent on dirt, I’m getting shinkos for my wr426 first and I’ll test it on that.

Actually the stock Bridgestone Trail Wing or (Death Wing) as we call it is not too bad on the pavement. Where you will want a different front tire is off road so if you do venture onto a trail or two just be aware that tire will dump you the first chance it gets.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I’ll ride these tires for a bit but it will also be a short commute to work is about all I’ll be doing, about 6 miles a day.....
Also be aware that an 11 year old tire is getting a little long in the tooth and does not have the suppleness or grip in turns or braking that a new tire does. You will only notice this when you do a panic stop or have to turn sharp suddenly :eek:.....don't wait too long.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also be aware that an 11 year old tire is getting a little long in the tooth and does not have the suppleness or grip in turns or braking that a new tire does. You will only notice this when you do a panic stop or have to turn sharp suddenly :eek:.....don't wait too long.
Oh I know all about that, I rescue bikes all the time from sheds and back 40’s to get them running again, some I keep , some I flip, some I rode for a year or two then sell them after I’ve had my fun. I think the worst was my cb360 with an original tire that was not dry rotted and had full tread, the tire left a black trail everywhere you went. That bike only saw driveways and parking lots.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got the bike titled and plated today, took it for a ride at 48*f, I have ridden in much colder but it was a quick test to run it through the gears at speed and see how she’s running after the carb clean.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the club!!! Hope you love yours as much as i love mine!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rode it into work this morning 38* was a nice reminder of how I use to ride my KTM until the roads got icy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts