TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, TW's, and motorcycling. I've got two TW projects in the works right now named Quanky and Scrump.

I noticed that the part called "Support, Chain" in many online stores was broken on both bikes (even though it seems more like a guard than support). I cannot imagine that this is a rare problem, but replacements cost more than 20 dollars for a little piece of plastic. I mess around with 3D printers and CAD in my spare time, so I whipped up a 3D model that uses all the same hardware as the OEM version. I printed it in black PETG with very high infill for strength and was pleased with the result. We'll see how it holds up.

If anybody is interested, you can download the part at the bottom of this page on my website: Recipe for Disaster - Support, Chain. I can't seem to attach an STL.

My next project is to design a replacement "chain guide" which was also damaged or missing on both bikes. This is, though, a higher-stress part, so I'd like to devote some serious thought to it. I've also considered making a modified version like I have seen on this forum that can be installed without removing the swingarm. I'll be looking for feedback soon.

Here's hoping I've made this post correctly. Did I use tags right?

·
Registered
602 Posts
That looks great! I can download it but I don't think my paper printer will work. Lol.

About how much $$$ to get the printer and software to print the guide?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Dumb question maybe, but what exactly is the original piece there for..?
Is it supposed to stop debris from getting pulled in between the chain and rear sprocket?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks great! I can download it but I don't think my paper printer will work. Lol.

About how much $$$ to get the printer and software to print the guide?
You can get a decent machine for ~$250, probably a little less if you look around. I use a Creality Ender 3, which might be a little outdated but works fine as long as it's maintained. All the software I use is free and open source. Lower-end machines, while getting more user friendly, are still very much a hobby in and of themselves. Higher-end machines (I've heard the Prusa ones are decent) might be a more direct path but cost more like $800.

I wouldn't think it makes sense to buy a machine just for this one part, but they are super useful, versatile, and fun to mess with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dumb question maybe, but what exactly is the original piece there for..?
Is it supposed to stop debris from getting pulled in between the chain and rear sprocket?
I'm not 100% sure. That'd be my guess? My reasoning wasn't too complicated: it looks broke, so I'll fix it.

·
Registered
20,487 Posts
While not as elegant as a CAD designed and printed I made mine out of a surplus DHPE cutting board. It is a bit bigger than stock to hang down lower than my 55 tooth sprocket.
A little electricity for the power tools and a little surplus matching body paint and I had something to get between Mother Nature's obstacles and my chain covered sprocket.

·
Registered
602 Posts
You can get a decent machine for ~$250, probably a little less if you look around. I use a Creality Ender 3, which might be a little outdated but works fine as long as it's maintained. All the software I use is free and open source. Lower-end machines, while getting more user friendly, are still very much a hobby in and of themselves. Higher-end machines (I've heard the Prusa ones are decent) might be a more direct path but cost more like $800.

I wouldn't think it makes sense to buy a machine just for this one part, but they are super useful, versatile, and fun to mess with.
I've been thinking about getting one. I can think of 100 things right now I could make. I think I can design stuff way better than an engineer could. I've seen their work. LOL

·
Registered
20,487 Posts
Engineer's efforts are constrained by the budgets imposed on them by the bean counters. Given a blank check amazing ideas can be brought to fruition like these GP racers.
bikes .jpg

The R&D needed to stay in the hunt burns through mass quantities of cash... like the cash generated from the sale of simple profitable to make bikes like our TWs .
When the bike is your own pet project though why not pour a much design expertise and personalization into it as possible? Nice work jsparadox(y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts