TW200 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
That front suspension is wild. That's similar to how how a ural or old European bikes are set up right? Why would someone replace regular forks with this unusual system?

·
Registered
387 Posts
One reason is when front brake is applied on a normal telescoping front end such as a stock TW200, the front end of the bike dives. Earles type forks such as on this side car rig do not do this and the bike stays level when the front brake is applied. Especially useful when braking in a right hand curve. Helps lessen the affect of the tipping tricycle effect.

On edit, enter man in rain coat on tricycle on the old comedy hour Laugh In. Perhaps FRED can find a video clip.

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Rocky nailed it!
No clips of Artie Johnson's original TV tip over.
However here is another trike from the show, back when Hollywood's heroes were often outspoken Republicans like The Duke.
Matin-Wayne-smaller.jpg

Ever wonder where E.T. got his pedal powered flyer?

·
Registered
387 Posts
That's one helluva trike ya got there, pilgrim!

Thanks Rocky! Thanks Fred!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Leading-Link front ends and Earles front end are similar but not exactly the same. "Earles", his patent specified a line pivot behind the wheel. They were found on Greeves and other British off-road Trails bikes that were not trikes or sidecar rigs.Leading-Link is a generic description of all.

Here's a couple picture of the Leading-Link on my Ural Parol. One picture is with the Hack off as it was out for stripping and painting:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thanks for the history lesson Stagewex. Nice looking rig you have there!

And a driveway full of fun!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wife a solid NO, puppy a maybe but it would be great to haul camping gear on the hardtop...not much for single track. I guess the "pull behind" with 2 wheels makes more sense to me. 3' wide and 4' long with a tent cot and rigging for an appropriate size tarp for shade and weather protection. I can see it behind my DRZ 400...TW not too good for highway travel. I have pulled a similar trailer when I had an ST 1300 before my son destroyed it and never knew it was there up to 90 or so. Food for thought.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts