TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this site two weeks after I bought my 2019 TW200. I am totally amazed by information and knowledge given on this site. I have used this information to make a few changes to my tdub already. I have a Jimbo windshield, IMS footpegs, seat concepts seat and Lizrdcooler oil cooler. I have six hundred miles so far. I did an oil change after 300 miles and another after 600 miles. There were a few specs of aluminum on the filters during the first oil change and about three times as much the second time. Checked it with a magnet and all the specs were aluminum. Is it normal to have a slight increase in debris on the strainers the second time around? Thank you all for an awesome website. Four hundred more break in miles then its up to the mountains of West Virginia for a couple weeks of fun.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome :)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Welcome aboard, Tcs.

Have fun...!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also cleaned and oiled the chain at 300 and 600 miles. I adjusted the valves at 600 miles. Intake was .004 and exhaust was .006. I adjusted them to .003 and .005 respectively. The information I have gotten from this website has made riding and maintaining my bike a lot easier. Now if I could just convince my wife that what I have done and still want to do to my bike is necessary........

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Welcome to you.
You'll find after the initial maintenance that you have done there is very little more you'll have/need to do going forward other than periodically checking.
These are kinda bullet-proof little buggers that love to be ridden more than wrenched.

Reactions: Darth

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Sounds like you are doing things right! Milling debris in the filter are common and no worry. Concentrate more now on convincing your wife and let us know how that goes:)
When I retired we moved from NY to Inverness but the deal we made on the home purchase fell through because of owner neglect and an internal flood condition that about destroyed the home with black mold. We returned to NY and will likely remain here to the end. Your area is pretty hard on a northern guy who is not fond of heat, wicked thunder storms and enjoys winter sports.
The TW is a perfect bike for where you live and good move on installing the oil cooler. Now is the time to consider a few great options. Buy a good DID VX chain, swap the front tire and make the switch to full synthetic oil at the next change. I don't believe in these BS break in periods and synthetic oil is much less sensitive to heat contamination. Just be careful when changing to new oil filters that you always get the correct one with 4 tiny holes on the engine side. The original filter is a good one and it is perfectly acceptable to clean and reuse it for many oil changes. Humidity in the atmosphere is your enemy and Inverness is famous for it. Your fuel system is a vented system which means Open to the outside. Keep your fuel fresh at all times by running the tank to the reserve and refilling it to the top at all times. This lessens the internal area for moisture to form inside the tank. When not in use you should always turn to petcock to the off position. At this point in your TWs life don't be afraid to run it through the gears like a raped ape once in a while, 65 MPH won't hurt it if you can get there for short periods.
I lived off Apopka on Gurley when we were there.

GaryL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GaryL, you are a mind reader. The DID VX chain and Shinko 241 tire are being ordered this week and Mobil 1 will be going in on the next oil change. I plan to carefully clean the original filter and hopefully use it for a very long time. With care, it should last forever. I have gained a lot of knowledge from this website!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
GaryL, you are a mind reader. The DID VX chain and Shinko 241 tire are being ordered this week and Mobil 1 will be going in on the next oil change. I plan to carefully clean the original filter and hopefully use it for a very long time. With care, it should last forever. I have gained a lot of knowledge from this website!
You will need a DID VX size 428 with 122 links unless you do the sprocket swaps. Stock sprockets are 14/50 and in flat FL I can't think of any great reason to mess with them unless you do a lot of high speed highways. In the sand around your area a bigger rear sprocket might be nice but when you gain in one place you lose in another. Most of us have found that front Death Wing tire to be terrible in sand, gravel and any loose terrain. Shinko is better but softer and will not last as long if driving pavement.

GaryL

·
Registered
270 Posts
Welcome aboard the TW train!

I was able to get my wife to understand that I "needed" to do a lot, but now I have to convince her on the rest :)

I got myself the DID chain as well. I am adjusted my front sprocket from 14 to 15, so had to get a few more links. I got 26, and I'll likely have to remove two for perfect fit. I am trying to get a little more life out of my old chain prior to the change. I really don't have that many miles on it, but it's been drowned in mud and water a few times already, and was spitting out some rusty gunk. Though I did a real thorough cleaning again yesterday, and so far I'm not seeing the rest any longer. We'll see!

Good luck with the rest of your work, and have a blank on the TWs. Tdubs Kid. on Youtube also has some excellent videos for maintenance. Worth checking out for sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually changed the rear sprocket to a 45 tooth. Had to take out one link. Still had my chain break from 40 years ago so no problem there. The back roads I have been riding have gentle rolling terrain so the 45 tooth works well. I will see what happens when I start going through the woods, if the rain will ever stop for a day or two.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I’m new here I want to customise my tw 125. Ya know give it that hollow look & im wondering if the drag pipes I’ve seen for sale on Japan webikes will fit on the 125 version. I’ve seen them for sale on a German site called tw-parts & it says they are that site but not on Japan webikes any advice would be gratefully appreciated thanks guys ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts