TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: in this thread I will post mostly about my oil cooler adapter and making the yamaha DT tach with temp gauge work. I plan to measure temps and pressures at different point of the oil circuit. And maybe about fitting a bigger yfm350 oil pump.

I am designing my own adapter for me and my friend. I know about lizrd brths adapter, but honestly, I don't like the looks of it. Here in EU I know only about imported lizrds adapters by sebastian - TWparts.
Here is a 3d printed model, I'd say it's final design.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

It has holes for m10 metric banjo bolts and I plan on making the lines from hardline. I also plan to stop the original oil flow to the head ( that tiny 1,5mm hole behind the oil filter) and bring it by hardline to the "oil check bolt" on the head. That will need another adapter from M6 in the head to M10 banjo bolt. Internally. It will have the same 1,5mm hole to feed the head. I am doing this because I want to cool the head too, since the oil cooler may cause worse cooling effect of the fins on the head and cylinder. Hence why there is double banjo bolt on one outlet of the adapter.
I also plan to mesure temp of cooled oil by DT dashboard
Telephony Communication Device Telephone Gadget Audio equipment

Mounting holes don't exactly match, but I'll figure something out, even if it should be new mounting bracket. The oil light will be wired to oil pressure switch. Service manual says the oil system should operate at 0.8-1.2bar. I just need to find the right pressure switch that'll fit.
And yeah, the tach will be used too, but that will require some custom electronics and mini servo motor. Back to the adapter.
I plan to seal it by gasket, not o-ring like OE. Two reasons: 1. I don't want the oil to shortcut the oil cooler - there is no seal between the pre-filter area and the hole by which the oil flows to crank.
2. Less machining. I stretched the hole to make up room between the two banjos. See here:
Wood Electric blue Fashion accessory Plastic Auto part

Oh and rare earth magnet is there too. Partly to catch tiny metallic debree that made its way tgrough the filter and partly to replicate the OE fin - the thing that lifts the filter to the right spot when putting on the cover. As a side effect the filter comes out with the adapter/cover when disassembling. I see that as no problem, but time will tell. Easy enough to pull it out, I plan to have it lightly pressed in.
The oil Cooler is from Dr650. I made it to fit m10 banjo bolts too.
Hand Gesture Finger Wood Wrist

In the future when I get to upgrading to 225 6spd I want to fit yfm350 oil pump. For more oil flow. At least try it and measure what it does with pressures. It requires maching off 3mm in the crankcases. I found about this on FB.

Any ideas and/or opinions?
Oh. And if there is interest, I can make more adapters.

·
Super Moderator
20,142 Posts
I am designing my own adapter for me and my friend. I know about lizrd brths adapter, but honestly, I don't like the looks of it. Here in EU I know only about imported lizrds adapters by sebastian - TWparts.
Here is a 3d printed model, I'd say it's final design.
View attachment 220178
It has holes for m10 metric banjo bolts and I plan on making the lines from hardline. I also plan to stop the original oil flow to the head ( that tiny 1,5mm hole behind the oil filter) and bring it by hardline to the "oil check bolt" on the head. That will need another adapter from M6 in the head to M10 banjo bolt. Internally. It will have the same 1,5mm hole to feed the head. I am doing this because I want to cool the head too, since the oil cooler may cause worse cooling effect of the fins on the head and cylinder. Hence why there is double banjo bolt on one outlet of the adapter.
I also plan to mesure temp of cooled oil by DT dashboard View attachment 220179
Mounting holes don't exactly match, but I'll figure something out, even if it should be new mounting bracket. The oil light will be wired to oil pressure switch. Service manual says the oil system should operate at 0.8-1.2bar. I just need to find the right pressure switch that'll fit.
And yeah, the tach will be used too, but that will require some custom electronics and mini servo motor. Back to the adapter.
I plan to seal it by gasket, not o-ring like OE. Two reasons: 1. I don't want the oil to shortcut the oil cooler - there is no seal between the pre-filter area and the hole by which the oil flows to crank.
2. Less machining. I stretched the hole to make up room between the two banjos. See here: View attachment 220180
Oh and rare earth magnet is there too. Partly to catch tiny metallic debree that made its way tgrough the filter and partly to replicate the OE fin - the thing that lifts the filter to the right spot when putting on the cover. As a side effect the filter comes out with the adapter/cover when disassembling. I see that as no problem, but time will tell. Easy enough to pull it out, I plan to have it lightly pressed in.
The oil Cooler is from Dr650. I made it to fit m10 banjo bolts too. View attachment 220181

In the future when I get to upgrading to 225 6spd I want to fit yfm350 oil pump. For more oil flow. At least try it and measure what it does with pressures. It requires maching off 3mm in the crankcases. I found about this on FB.

Any ideas and/or opinions?
Oh. And if there is interest, I can make more adapters.
Nice work bro!!

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I am designing my own adapter for me and my friend. I know about lizrd brths adapter, but honestly, I don't like the looks of it.
dem's can be seen as fightn words round these parts, lirzdbrth basically rode on water, and that oil cooler was his baby...

i think he'd laugh and say something about more than one way to ride a mule... then chat away for hours on pros and cons of different designs.

some cool feature you have, be curious to hear about your results. what's that gauge cluster from? similar to an XT350, but those didn't have oil temp.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dem's can be seen as fightn words round these parts, lirzdbrth basically rode on water, and that oil cooler was his baby...

i think he'd laugh and say something about more than one way to ride a mule... then chat away for hours on pros and cons of different designs.

some cool feature you have, be curious to hear about your results. what's that gauge cluster from? similar to an XT350, but those didn't have oil temp.
Yes, from what I've read, he must have been a really good guy.
The gauge cluster is from yamah DT. Watercooled two stroke. I initally wanted dashboard from xt350/500/600, but then my friend pointed out the DT one. The XT ones I believe are all almost the same. And those would fit right away. I wrote to a guy selling xt600 dash and he measured the holes- same as TW. So maybe, once I have the tach electronics sorted out, it could be transplanted into XT gauges ?
Automotive exterior Auto part Car Bumper Vehicle

Here you can see the difference in mounting points.

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wood Electronic instrument Musical instrument accessory Musical instrument Circuit component

The tach is mostly disassembled, only the magnetic rotor needs to come out, I think it's riveted in it's bearing( is that the right word?) - housing!
now to get the servo and make it fit, then make up the servo controlling circuit. Rpm reading circuit will have to wait, its backbone - the lm2917 chip has a long way china. ETA is almost at the end of February. I hope I can get this dash sorted out over the winter.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
This looks to be a very interesting thread! About the chip, is it available anywhere else but China? For example are they available in stock in USA? I'd be willing to ship one to you if they are local to USA in stock. Just let me know.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This looks to be a very interesting thread! About the chip, is it available anywhere else but China? For example are they available in stock in USA? I'd be willing to ship one to you if they are local to USA in stock. Just let me know.
Thanks very much for such an offer! But it's not that big of a problem to wait. I think they are available pretty much anywhere. Here in Czech rep I could buy one through legit supplier but I would pay around 100czk and another 500czk for shipping. No thanks :D this way I paid 90 czk for TWO chips with free shipping, but I have to wait. I bet it will arrive sooner than I would have the servo mounted and functioning. I'd say my time and me myself are the limitting factors of this build :D

Reactions: Ski Pro 3

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle part

So...
it doesn't fit with DT bracket. I hoped I could mount it directly to one hole and then make some kind of extesion to bolt the other side - that won't work either side, because that way the cluster is off center that much, that it would protrude through the mask. If center it, it still doesn't fit, because the DT bracket has a lower angle than TW, so the mask is unable to hook on.
now to design and make myslelf a new bracket.
and yes, that surrounding is kitchen.. :D
Tire Wheel Vehicle Bicycle Fuel tank

nice and warm winter storage

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
waiting on the servo to arrive, I decided to try to design the mounting bracket. it is essentialy little bit shrunk down DT bracket with TW mounting dimensions.
Gadget Handwriting Space Wood Cameras & optics
Rectangle Slope Line Font Parallel

Making progress.I need to sligtly move the mounting holes, but so far, everything is almost spot on.
Mouth Graphics software Human body Organism Font

It is coming together faster and easier than I thought.
Mouth Light Product Graphics software Screenshot
Peripheral Input device Wood Air gun Trigger

That's good for now. It's wayyy past bedtime (1AM), so GN for me :)

Reactions: vwbobby
1 - 10 of 10 Posts