TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I've been following this forum for years and finally decided to obtain a TW. Yay!

I am 60 years young and like some of you guys started on a Honda Trail 70 at 14. I've owned a few dirt bikes and street bikes, largest being a Kaw 900. I haven't ridden in 25 years and figure this little bike will be a perfect bike to reacquaint me to two wheels. I'll use it for trips around town and for exploring nearby areas off road, prob 60/40 street/trails. I'm 6'3", 240 lbs and figure pro taper with risers and larger pegs.

I must say the very existence of this forum helped me decide what to buy. I figure I can find all I need to keep it running here.

I narrowed down my choice to TW and Wr250r. I expect the TW will keep my riding humble whereas the WR would lure me to ride more aggressively. I'm ready to take the slow road so there it is. I am searching for a used bike because dropping a new bike hurts too much. :) I haven't ruled out a new one, will wait and see how my search for a used one goes. I don't have a garage or place to work on it, and my tools are at my ex house / garage with my ex wife. So it will be a challenge to find a place to wrench on it. Anyway that's my story. I can't wait to get back on two wheels!!

Howsbentley

Edit- I live in Memphis TN, considering a move to middle TN but Memphis is home now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
We want a pic when you get it!! Good luck with your search brother!! :D

·
Registered
928 Posts
WELCOME and congratulations on getting back in the saddle!
Don't feel bad about not having a garage or place to wrench. I do most of my work on the patio beside the house - or borrow someone else's garage LOL :D. The TW doesn't seem to mind.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Sound like Hoot about 3 years ago, except I had just turned 65....:p

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
WELCOME and congratulations on getting back in the saddle!
Don't feel bad about not having a garage or place to wrench. I do most of my work on the patio beside the house - or borrow someone else's garage LOL :D. The TW doesn't seem to mind.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Welcome aboard. I turned 68 last March and, also, enjoy the TW culture. It has gotten me into the old 60's bikes again. I am working on an "old school" patina Ace 100 Hodaka (rebuilt engine, trans, and forks but no new paint.) And, just this week a friend dropped off a 1966 Honda Trail 90 that needed awakening.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome.
Good luck on your search. They're out there but make sure you have cash on hand because they sell fast.
True that!! Saw one was posted for sale at 12:48 pm, I contacted seller at 1:04 pm it's sold!! Boo
Now the good. I found a 2013 with under 700 miles for sale. The seller had one offer and I told him I would pay his asking price 2850 if bike was as he stayed. Yay! Im not quite sure how or when I'll get it home though. It's near Nashville tn and I'm driving from Memphis on Sunday. I'm going there to scope out housing and business feasibility as I am moving from Memphis later this summer and Hendersonville is a potential candidate. So, I don't really want to pay the guy and leave the bike with him but it won't fit in my VW Golf. I'm thinking perhaps the local dealer will keep it for me if I give them a work order to install did x ring chain and Shinko front tire. I don't have any friends with a pickup so I could just rent one in a week or so to pick it up after they are done.

If I really like the area and make a decision on moving there end of June, I would just store it there somewhere like a mini storage place. Anyway I look forward to becoming a TW owner. As we know it may or may not be there. Guy might sell it before I arrive. Fingers Crossed!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update!! Checked out and purchased 2013 with dead battery 638 miles on od. Now my challenge is getting it home. I'm in Memphis and bike is still with previous owner in Franklin TN.
Can rent a pickup for a couple days for $200, add gas and hotel 1 night, meals and cost is getting close to having it shipped. I'm sure I'll figure out something. Ordered shorei battery and charger, helmet gloves etc and getting quite excited about become a tdub owner/member of this site. Peace love
A.T.
Will
Post pic upon taking possession.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Congrats!
Welcome from southern Nevada.
That is 207 miles between Franklin and Memphis.
Are there alternates to I40?
Most I've done in one day is 160 miles and my tailbone was sore.

BTW, I got mine two months before 70th birthday.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For what it's worth, U-Haul's website says you can rent a trailer that'll fit the bike and potentially be towable by a VW golf for $64. Pick up in Franklin, Drop off in Memphis, and can have it for up to 2 days. Maybe add in the cost for a few ratchet straps, (many u-haul places will sell you a trailer hitch if your vehicle is capable, too) and you might be able to save a few dollars that way.

Just some food for thought.

Best of luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For what it's worth, U-Haul's website says you can rent a trailer that'll fit the bike and potentially be towable by a VW golf for $64. Pick up in Franklin, Drop off in Memphis, and can have it for up to 2 days. Maybe add in the cost for a few ratchet straps, (many u-haul places will sell you a trailer hitch if your vehicle is capable, too) and you might be able to save a few dollars that way.

Just some food for thought.

Best of luck with your purchase!
Thanks Nerdrock, I'm nervous about pulling a trailer with a 1.8 liter -more specifically concerned about automatic transmission over heating. I suspect UHaul will tell me it's fine to pull a small trailer. I'll talk to my car guy and see what he thinks. Thanks for the suggestion.
Peace love
AT

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks Nerdrock, I'm nervous about pulling a trailer with a 1.8 liter -more specifically concerned about automatic transmission over heating. I suspect UHaul will tell me it's fine to pull a small trailer. I'll talk to my car guy and see what he thinks. Thanks for the suggestion.
Peace love
AT

Good luck! consider this : The TW and a trailer will weigh EASILY less than 1,000 lbs (630 for the utility trailer, and 270 for the TW = 900). That's not much different than hauling a few fat people up a slight incline. A few search results showed people claiming to haul a small trailer with a couple dirt bikes with 1.8L Chevy Cobalts with no problems at all.

That said : Talking to a car guy you trust is the smartest move. Use internet strangers such as us for guidance and inspiration, but let the feasibility call fall on the shoulders of a man you can slap in the face if something goes sour :D

Can't wait for pictures!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts