TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! this is my first post on here but i have been browsing this forum for a few weeks now. I have to say this is one of the friendliest forums I have been on!
I have decided on a TW for a bunch of reason that you guys already know, mostly for my commute to work (5km) and also hunting and exploring on Vancouver Island.

I have been weighing the options on new vs used and was hoping to get some opinions. First off these bikes rarely come available used here and i am not in a position to drive off island to pick one up. I have found a 2009 recently that is in really good condition with on 3800km (2300M) on it. They are asking $3500can (2800usd).

On the other hand I can get a brand new 2018 for $5200can ($4156usd) ( plus tax =$5760can ($4600usd).

So is brand new worth twice the price? The warranty is nice but these things seem pretty solid and parts are relatively inexpensive.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Go with your gut and what you feel comfortable with, but I'd go used.

Oh, and welcome fellow pacific north-westerner. Good luck with your search and decision.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

Sometimes with used, you get accessories that you'd end up buying later... ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was looking for used when I bought my 2018(also 1st time TW owner). Of note, after tax and title mine cost me $5300USD...so good deal either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
My Tdub is used but it's also a 4th motorcycle for me so more of a kick-around bike. I bought used.

Just based on the two prices you presented the difference is so close I'd buy the new one. And I'm saying that as a used bike and car guy.
However there are great deals on older bikes less than half+ than a new one and these things have not changed that much over the years.
Seem pretty dependable over the entire spectrum of production.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys! I am going take a look at the used one today and if its in as good shape as he claims I will offer $3000can. I think Half price of new for something with low Km and in excellent shape makes more sense to me. It gives me more money for goodies to add on! I will post pics if I get it! wish me luck!

·
Registered
457 Posts
I think service is important and if you can feel assured the seller give it it’s oil changes, then it is the bargain deal of the two options unless you just want new !!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Welcome a board.

Having bought a new 2015...I would have preferred to wait and buy used but the chance of finding one in poor little Nova Scotia is very low. There are only 3 other members here IIRC. I would have preferred to save the money and be able to afford more mods. I also could have bought two used bikes for the price of a new TW. Otherwise it is nice to not have to be super critical and haggle and have the security to know it's new. My first warnings are replace the front tire for offroad asap and do not trust anyone to sell you the right oil filter. And prepare to have some fun at controllable speeds.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I'd kinda go with the philosophy that if you are looking used around $3500ish you are almost to the Red Zone of buying new. You are going to be buying accessories no matter what to make it better anyway.
I love the hunt for the $2500 and less deals that do come up but not very often. willing to wait and see, you'll find one.
I'm talking about US $ BTW.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks for the info guys! I am going take a look at the used one today and if its in as good shape as he claims I will offer $3000can. I think Half price of new for something with low Km and in excellent shape makes more sense to me. It gives me more money for goodies to add on! I will post pics if I get it! wish me luck!
Good luck today! Buying used also saves you the freight and PDI charges which can bring the out-the-door price on a new one up to about CDN$6300.

Welcome to the ride :)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Good luck. Let us know how it goes. Whether new or used, there are not many stories on here of buyers remorse. I do feel a little envy when I see some of the fantastic deals found on here, but that quickly goes away as soon as I fire mine up. You have a relatively unique geographical situation of limited supply. Cheers

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good luck. Let us know how it goes. Whether new or used, there are not many stories on here of buyers remorse. I do feel a little envy when I see some of the fantastic deals found on here, but that quickly goes away as soon as I fire mine up. You have a relatively unique geographical situation of limited supply. Cheers
Done Deal!!! I am so excited! The bike is in basically new condition and runs perfectly. I ended up paying $3200can ($2540USD) and i also got a brand new Joe Rocket jacket for $100. I am stoked to join the TW club!
I will post pictures tomorrow!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Done Deal!!! I am so excited! The bike is in basically new condition and runs perfectly. I ended up paying $3200can ($2540USD) and i also got a brand new Joe Rocket jacket for $100. I am stoked to join the TW club!
Cool deal, Welcome and congrats !!!

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Congratulations!!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Congratulations! That's great news :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Very nice - it looks great! Nice field for ripping around in too :) Thanks for posting the pics.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts