TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new here. First post. In the next few days I'm going to buy a TW200 but I am facing a big time dilemma. There are 2 bikes locally that would be perfect. One is a "used" 2012 that only has 44 miles on it. Talking with the seller now and really leaning towards getting this bike. The other is a "new" 2016 leftover model at the dealer with 150 miles on it, but still new and deeply discounted. I am torn. There is about a Thousand dollar difference between the 2 and I'm really trying to figure out what the smart move is. I’m concerned that the 2012 might have sat with fluids for a while but I’m not sure how big of a deal that really is. So, any advice? Great forum by the way. I’m enjoying learning about these bikes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know is not an easy decision but if it was me considering that the only difference between both is the color, I would get the '12 and use the diffence to install some up grades. You won't go wrong either way. Maybe you can push for a better discount on the '16??
Good luck and enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
"over 100 fewer miles" ?? these bikes are good for tens of thousands of miles... 100 here or there is nothing.

does the 2012 start up and run smoothly? if it does, grab it at $1000 less and invest that in basic mods to dial it in to your specs.
enjoy the exciting world of t-dubs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know is not an easy decision but if it was me considering that the only difference between both is the color, I would get the '12 and use the diffence to install some up grades. You won't go wrong either way. Maybe you can push for a better discount on the '16??
Good luck and enjoy it.
I've pushed hard for discounts on the 16. I've walked away twice now but it's about time to make a decision. I appreciate the advice!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"over 100 fewer miles" ?? these bikes are good for tens of thousands of miles... 100 here or there is nothing.

does the 2012 start up and run smoothly? if it does, grab it at $1000 less and invest that in basic mods to dial it in to your specs.
enjoy the exciting world of t-dubs.
I haven't had a chance to actually see the 12 in person yet. But the pics look very clean. I'm leaning towards agreeing with you if it does run well.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
if it runs well, the carb should be clean. you can run seafoam to be sure. change the oil and you should be good to go. at 5 years old the tires should still be good, though depends on whether it was parked inside or out. they run $200+

check procycle's tw200 page for rough ideas on prices, though other sites abound.

·
Super Moderator
17,938 Posts
I'd get the older one. Now days they can come off the showroom floor all clogged up. And like everyone says, it will leave you $$$ for upgrades. If there are any problems, we'll help you with them. :D

·
Registered
928 Posts
Buy the older one. Save the money. And if you absolutely must take it to a shop to get it fixed, know you still got a great deal in the end. Plus, it's easier to learn stuff on an older bike and not get the 'new bike jitters' when trying to do something yourself. :)

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
How is they can call a 2016 at the dealer with over 150 miles on it NEW? Sounds more like a DEMO to me and just because it has never been titled to an individual does not make it a new bike. I would first go get an eyes on look and listen to the 2012 and bring enough cash to buy it. Green one hundred dollar bills have a tendency to sway a seller to take a couple less of them.

GaryL

·
Registered
238 Posts
Got both mine slightly used. A 13 with 300 miles and a 16 with 190. Pleased as punch. Not much to go wrong as they are dead simple.
Cash and carry the used bike or I might be tempted to make it 3!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
apparently these carbs clog fast. I bought a new 2016 TW from the dealer, and it wouldn't start when I went to pick it up! they had probably prepped the bike awhile ago and didn't run it (only had 1 mile on the clock) Being experts, they had the carb clean in less than an hour and I was off. Another time I bought a 17 year old bike with FIVE miles on it. That one was a problem. the seller replaced engine oil and the carb(unfortunately with a Chinese knock off that stunk, and I ended up buying an OEM one, big $$), but nothing else. I of course had every other fluids replaced and all the rubber too (belts, tires etc) check the date on the tires of 2012 and factor that in any offer.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts