TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

new Oregon member

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  timk 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Been looking for a starter dirt and street bike for the miss's... Plus a timber road adventure bike for myself... The TW fits all but is locally highly priced for used models...

I placed a local C.L. wanted ad, and got offered a near new model that only had 30 miles off road use and not street titled yet. Original owner has a growing issue with his arthritis and decided to sell.
So he and I were happy that the growing kids, miss's, and I would get lots of learning experience and upcoming use! Just got it and I and oldest boy are excited, miss's were working on...

it's a 2018, already has a battery tender and the rear cycle rack. :) Might get the rotax pax fuel setup, handguards, footpegs, and headlight upgraded..

Issues is mostly the Carb, probably poor gas. It didn't really warm up on the short late night test ride.
But I heard the newer models are also super lean... needing rejecting and or shimming... I'm basically near sea level here in the valley.
It would be a plus if I could fix that so it would warn and operate quickly so I could commute the less than 4 miles to wor

anyhoot, I'm also a long time member on the cx500 forum with project bikes I haven't had time to tinker with yet...

cheers!

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome from NY.
It shouldn't need anything as far as re-jetting or anything like that. Those are personal mods folks do for performance (an oxymoron with this bike) or to feel better.
Clean your carb and fuel lines, add a new in-line filter, get it running good stock, then go play with mods.

A stock 2018 unless not used for a substantial about of time should run perfect though bad/old fuel will bring down the newest to oldest bike no matter what.
Have fun & ride safe.

Reactions: Peterb
#4 ·
Hi, Welcome. I like the term Timber roads, better than Fire roads. It just is what it is. Here its fire roads. Hand guards and foot pegs are a good start. I'm at around sea level and I was good to go out of the box. I need the choke when I start cold, full out then half, then after about 5min choke off. Take off and go for a ride. Think of the TW as a cold blooded lizard, a tractor something like that. I agree with stagewex. Tell us how you got it running good.:)

#6 ·
Welcome, neighbor.

I have two 2013's, and both of them are cold blooded. Mine was the same scenario - I bought them from a guy who bought them on a whim - His wife decided it wasn't for her, and they sat for a while with old gas. The symptom: It would start right away and would idle, but I could not give it any throttle without it killing the engine.

Before taking off the carb, I'd try draining the tank and replacing the gas with non-ethanol gas. I'd then add some Berryman B12 Chemtool or Seafoam to the tank and run that through. This worked fairly well for me.

One of my bikes is a little more cold-blooded than the other. I've just learned how to deal with it. After they warm up, they run great. If they are not ridden regularly, I also have to quickly rap the throttle, and after a minute of this, they'll run well. I've decided to deal with it for now, rather than disassemble the carbs.

#7 ·
Good Morning, and thanks!

When younger, my dad, brother and I would drive out and hunt the coastal mountain roads the log trucks and skidders used.
aka timber roads

It'll be a few days before I get to DMV for plates, but I did pick up the not ethanol fuel and have the Sea Foam ready.
I'm still searching CL for a 110cc and a 125 or 140cc bikes for the kids themselves, CRF / TTR / KLX
They are a bit excited. We're in the suburbs, so have to drag everyone out to a couple acre field so they can learn.

Called my brother about this purchase, and found out his son, who graduated last year, just bought a 350 Big Wheel.
it'll take just a little to get that going good too :)

I was wondering, is TW for Trans World or Trailways?

Reactions: Fred
#8 ·
I never rejet my bikes but I do remove the limiter cap from the idle mixture screw and adjust that a bit richer (adjust to a good idle when warmed up). If your changing jets to make it run richer when its cold then its probably running way to rich when its warmed up.

#16 ·
I never rejet my bikes but I do remove the limiter cap from the idle mixture screw and adjust that a bit richer (adjust to a good idle when warmed up). If your changing jets to make it run richer when its cold then its probably running way to rich when its warmed up.

Do this to help the cold blooded nature of the beast and add skid plate to your list of "must haves".

#9 ·
Welcome to the madness. I As well now am hoping the miracle of Sea Foam will get me going again. I really should be monkeying with it today but feel the need to get some break in miles done on my new vstrom. Love my TW but after reading the Epic ride report on ADV Rider TAT 2018 Honda Grom edition. KIND OF gets me thinking. This ethanol crap is just not good on carbs. Ya I know your right, I do need to ride it more.

#10 ·
Welcome to the best place for advice on the TW so many good people hear to help with anything may not always like what they say but most only are trying to help ... I'm no expert but TW is for TRAIL WAY....an yes mine is cold blooded too but after a short warm up time ...more fun than most can handle...GOD IS GREAT BEER IS GOOD PEOPLE ARE CRAZY

#12 ·
WELCOME!
TrailWay huh? OK. And I thought it stood for Totally Weird since these bikes are so different from mainstream motorcycles.:rolleyes:

#13 ·
Some few years back I resurrected an old street Yamaha 250 and did find the carb lil idle passage clogged. I'll definitely follow your advice on letting thing be if just seafoam, and if needed a simple carb clean, solve everything.

Upnover, which vstrom? the new little 300, 650, or big brother...? I'd also been looking for a fuel injected larger bike, but my short legs and washed out pivot knee don't really like the bigger Versys / Tiger and such..

Elvesus, I had a few trips fixing logging helicopters up there on Victoria Island out of Campbell River an a few remote locations,... lucky you! lots of beautiful places to ride...

#14 · (Edited)
Hey timk, I added the 2017 V650 to the barn. I’ve got 2 sets of lowering links in the wind now and should be here to install this weekend. Oh I can’t wait to get this thing dialed in. But still Spring is a coming and that Mt. Snow will be a melting. So just to plant a seed put the Cascade Discovery Route in the back of your head. A little adventure for the Mighty TW. One way or another some time this summer. The CDR and I will beat the hell out of each other. It may not be until September, but my Little Mule says take me on that trail or set me free. It’s just hard to beat. THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST. YA we got it. Come taste it.

#15 ·
upnover, Sounds great, I'll have to set up a calendar... I'll also have to complete my current silverwing & CX650 to give a bit of faster onroad options

#17 ·
That is a great idea! Hoping to get on road plates with new title at DMV if I can get there before they close...

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.