TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Hinckley, OH.

This past weekend we drove 2 hours to buy an '03 T-dub with 900 miles on it for my wife to learn on (she picked it out for the low mileage/hours). I am pretty sure the bike has not had any maintenance done, including the break-in service, but it looks OK.

Peeking through the sparkplug hole, the cylinder wall appears to have scratches around the cylinder bore (not up and down), but I'm not sure what I was seeing. They seemed very rough compared to what I remember a honed cylinder looks like. I saw no bad smoke when I test rode it, though, and it seems to have plenty of torque so we bought it.

A buddy of mine can check/adjust the valve clearance for me. The plug looks new (maybe running a tad lean). I've got some fuel system cleaner in it. Will be changing the oil and filter. Brakes are new. Battery is good (no kick starter on this bike). Clutch is solid. Side panels are missing (any source for those? nothing on ebay, otherwise $49 ea.), but the tool kit is complete. Tires look like new. Lights all work. Chain just has a little surface rust. Sprockets look OK.

I keep wondering why it only has 900 miles - like, it wasn't rideable for a long time - but I rode it at 50mph and it seemed just fine.
Anyone have any pointers on items to check in a case like this?

Much appreciated,
-J

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Hinckley....Home of the Buzzards:D

Welcome Fellow Buckeye! Wait for a few minutes, and I am sure all the Gear Headz will be checking in....;)

·
Super Moderator
17,926 Posts
Greetings from Hinckley, OH.

This past weekend we drove 2 hours to buy an '03 T-dub with 900 miles on it for my wife to learn on (she picked it out for the low mileage/hours). I am pretty sure the bike has not had any maintenance done, including the break-in service, but it looks OK.

Peeking through the sparkplug hole, the cylinder wall appears to have scratches around the cylinder bore (not up and down), but I'm not sure what I was seeing. They seemed very rough compared to what I remember a honed cylinder looks like. I saw no bad smoke when I test rode it, though, and it seems to have plenty of torque so we bought it.

A buddy of mine can check/adjust the valve clearance for me. The plug looks new (maybe running a tad lean). I've got some fuel system cleaner in it. Will be changing the oil and filter. Brakes are new. Battery is good (no kick starter on this bike). Clutch is solid. Side panels are missing (any source for those? nothing on ebay, otherwise $49 ea.), but the tool kit is complete. Tires look like new. Lights all work. Chain just has a little surface rust. Sprockets look OK.

I keep wondering why it only has 900 miles - like, it wasn't rideable for a long time - but I rode it at 50mph and it seemed just fine.
Anyone have any pointers on items to check in a case like this?

Much appreciated,
-J
Welcome to the forum!! :D

I wouldn't worry about the cylinder marks at this mileage. They are cross hatch marks from honing. Your bike still has a way to go to be broken in. You may want to replace the tires however. They harden and lose the stickiness they should have. The older they get, the worse the problem, it can be dangerous to use them on the street or at speed. Also, the front stock tire isn't that great. A Shinko 241 or 244 works very well. Why not a lot of miles? People buy them for camping or as a bike to put on their motorhome and lots of them don't ever get much use. Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
welcome, when you change the oil filter, make SURE they give you the right filter, it will have 4 holes in the end. also after the oil change, it is a really good idea to open the (proof of oil flow to the head) screw. this will prove the oil is flowing through the filter ok

·
Super Moderator
5,129 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congrats on the bike fellow Ohioian, I just bought one myself last month (State 8 Media), it was a 2015 that was returned to the dealer with only 78 miles on it. In less than a months time I've put 900 miles on the Dub, there greats bikes and I'm sure you/the wife will enjoy it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I think the steering head is a tad tight as well, but just the fuel system cleaner has woke this thing up a bit. I am resisting the urge to abuse it like it were my own.
-J

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't worry about it, as a former BSA/Triumph mechanic, nothing will happen unless the bike starts puking oil from the carb or exhaust--you'll have plenty of warning.
Enjoy
Mike

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Welcome J! I wouldn't worry about the low mileage. There are a lot of low mileage t'dubs out there. It's not that they're not capable, it's what they were used for. Many started out as motorcycle safety school training bikes, like mine. Others were purchased for hunting, and they only got ridden during those couple of weeks/months of the year. Others still were picked up as 'camp bikes' and rode more miles on the back of rvs than were ridden to the store and back. You name it. It's up to you guys to break the cycle and get some miles on that thing. :D

·
Registered
746 Posts
I am resisting the urge to abuse it like it were my own.
-J
Actually that's exactly what you need to do. Give it a good workout to shake out any potential problems, and get all the parts used to working together.:icon_thumright:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Hope your wife gets to ride her new toy. She will enjoy it/her. I think you need one too, as another member said. You can ride together while she learns, and do some trails.....if that TW really is for her. lol:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
... Others still were picked up as 'camp bikes' and rode more miles on the back of rvs than were ridden to the store and back. ...
You are spot on.

Welcome! Is the Buzzards Roost still open? I missed grabbing a t-shirt while I was working in the area...drank a whole lot of the beer, though :D
It's for sale right now. I seldom see a big crowd there due to all the "newer" places that have opened near by, but it has been open a long time.

.....if that TW really is for her. lol:eek:
I'm hoping she takes to it and loves it. But just in case she doesn't....

-J

1 - 16 of 16 Posts