TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

Over the years, since about 1966 I've owned dirt bikes of various sizes: Yamaha DT1 250, Honda XL350, Yamaha XT500, BMW R100GS, Suzuki DRZ400S and culminating in a 2005 KTM 950 Adventure. But recently, at 67 the KTM just started to feel a bit intimidating in its weight and size. I think I'm at that phase in life where smaller might be better, where just puttering around in the dirt is starting to sound good. As such, out with the KTM and in with a Yamaha TW200! I spent a few weeks looking for a choice used one not too far away, barely missing one nearby. Decided with the proceeds from the KTM sale I could really afford a new one. So, picking it up Monday at Blue Ridge Yamaha if all goes well.

KTM finding a new home (guess which one is me!):

Getting properly downsized:

Oh, and on a whim we picked up a little something for Karen, my wife, to play with as well:

Anyway, you guys already have me thinking about mods, and I don't even have the bike yet - more fuel, front tire swap, seat mod, etc etc. But a good cardinal rule is to ride a new bike as is until one sees what really needs changing, so that's what I plan on doing.

As an aside, I'm also a member over on ADVRider.com.

We live in a gorgeous part of the world, just a few miles from an extensive trail system of logging trails all along the Ocoee in E TN. We also recently bought a few acres on an airstrip in Lenoir City, TN, and that's where the bike may eventually end up based.

Hope to touch base with some of you rogues in the near future and getting dirty. Also have tools and a HandyLift at the N GA house if anyone wants to put together an impromptu tech session one day.

Ride Safe!

·
Super Moderator
5,134 Posts
Welcome to the asylum Eddie …..

Good looking KTM you (had) there – but you’re right – perhaps time for a change

You’ll find the TW a load of fun, and a great choice for just “exploring” on without the adrenalin rush from going at speed – (mind you, given some of Fred’s videos, there are plenty of opportunities for those “heart in mouth” moments)

You’ll have more opportunities for shared experiences if you fill in your profile a bit more (location), but there’s time for that

Any questions, we’re here to help …….

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Awesome, you'll love it! What a great repotuah of bikes you've had. You'll still love the t-dub. If I would have to have only one, it would be a dub. Welcome aboard.

Hi guys!

Over the years, since about 1966 I've owned dirt bikes of various sizes: Yamaha DT1 250, Honda XL350, Yamaha XT500, BMW R100GS, Suzuki DRZ400S and culminating in a 2005 KTM 950 Adventure. But recently, at 67 the KTM just started to feel a bit intimidating in its weight and size. I think I'm at that phase in life where smaller might be better, where just puttering around in the dirt is starting to sound good. As such, out with the KTM and in with a Yamaha TW200! I spent a few weeks looking for a choice used one not too far away, barely missing one nearby. Decided with the proceeds from the KTM sale I could really afford a new one. So, picking it up Monday at Blue Ridge Yamaha if all goes well.

KTM finding a new home (guess which one is me!):

Getting properly downsized:

Oh, and on a whim we picked up a little something for Karen, my wife, to play with as well:

Anyway, you guys already have me thinking about mods, and I don't even have the bike yet - more fuel, front tire swap, seat mod, etc etc. But a good cardinal rule is to ride a new bike as is until one sees what really needs changing, so that's what I plan on doing.

As an aside, I'm also a member over on ADVRider.com.

We live in a gorgeous part of the world, just a few miles from an extensive trail system of logging trails all along the Ocoee in E TN. We also recently bought a few acres on an airstrip in Lenoir City, TN, and that's where the bike may eventually end up based.

Hope to touch base with some of you rogues in the near future and getting dirty. Also have tools and a HandyLift at the N GA house if anyone wants to put together an impromptu tech session one day.

Ride Safe!

·
Super Moderator
5,134 Posts
Welcome. The TW are fun bikes. If your wife rides it once she'll want one.
Yeah, that's true

Pretend somethings wrong with it ....... ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Congrats! I'm downsizing too, looking forward to a slower pace and taking time to smell the roses.

You really do live in an absolutely beautiful area for riding. I try to make it out that way 1-2 times per year. I'd love to touch base after you find some roads and trails fitting for tw200 exploration.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Gorgeous KTM.
Good Luck/Fun and Safe riding the TW.
... and to your wife as well.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Sequatchie Valley Days June 2-4 and the Blue Ridge Run June 23-25 are coming up. Both of them are not far away from you. Also look up Dual Sport Touring in Friendsville Tennessee. The owner can give you lots of Dub tips.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hey Eddie, welcome and we are neighbors man. I live up in Murphy. Well just outside Murphy in Brasstown.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sequatchie Valley Days June 2-4 and the Blue Ridge Run June 23-25 are coming up. Both of them are not far away from you. Also look up Dual Sport Touring in Friendsville Tennessee. The owner can give you lots of Dub tips.
Thanks!

We have friends in Friendsville and I've driven by Dual Sport Touring many times and been curious about it. Will have to check it out next time I'm up that way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Alright! I'm also 67, and bought a TW last summer—first bike since 1979! Friends and family think I have a death wish to start riding a bike again at my age! Screw them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I mentioned before I think its a good idea to ride a bike "as is" for a while before major farkling begins.

Have not done much this first week, nor put many miles on the bike.

I did have a "Mag's Bags" bag I stuck on the luggage rack, if somewhat inelegantly:

Today I stuck on a RAM ball that I had, just using a longer screw on the left mirror mount:

I use RAM mounts for all sorts of things, GPS, iPhone, GoPro, whatever. GPS here:

I like to have 2-conductor trailer plugs somewhere on all my vehicles, for charging and tapping power for various devices.

Tapped into the battery so:

And ran the wire under the tank to the bars:

I know, pretty basic stuff.

Will be looking at tank bags soon - I've already got some ideas from searching this forum. There's a CycleGear in Knoxville and we're back and forth all the time. Beyond that, I'm going to pace myself with the mods.

For now!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts