TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a '96 TW with 3200 miles on it.
First thing I did was adjust the valves, oil change with Mobil-1 10w-40 MC Synthetic, spark plug, and then air filter.
When I removed the filer cover, I'd say at least a half quart poured out of it, is this normal?
I cleaned it all out and washed the air box, installed a new filter and proceeded to take it out and get muddy, so much fun!
It sat overnight, and I removed the cover to see if any oil was in there, and sure enough, oil dripped out and the bottom 1/2" of the filter was saturated, is there something that I should look for? Or is this normal?

This thing is a blast, it'll do 65mph.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Are you checking the oil when it's on the side stand or are you holding it vertical when you check it? It should be held vertical. I usually keep my level in the middle of the window to avoid oil in the air box. A lot of wheelies will cause this also.

·
Registered
109 Posts
nope..! that much oil in the air box is not normal..!
Too much oil in the crankcase??
Check the oil level when bike is vertical as " scotti158" suggested..!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much oil did you put in when you changed it?
I put exactly one quart and a few splashes to get it up to level. I failed to check the level that the PO had it at, but I'm suspecting and hoping that he just put too much in it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I put exactly one quart and a few splashes to get it up to level. I failed to check the level that the PO had it at, but I'm suspecting and hoping that he just put too much in it.
You drained all the oil before adding your one quart, i presume?
So there should be no oil when you check again right? (or less oil)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You drained all the oil before adding your one quart, i presume?
So there should be no oil when you check again right? (or less oil)
Yes, of course. And that's the thing, even though I did not overfill it, there was about 1/4" of oil in the air box after I cleaned it.. I'm thinking it could have been residual.. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it, thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
This seems to be a somewhat of a problem from time to time. A fellow I ride with occasionally ride with had the "oil in the airbox" issue. Unfortunately, after he cleaned out the oil, I don't know if the problem surfaced again or I'd tell yet what the answer was/is.

In addition to the help/suggestions others above have been giving you, here is how to google search the TW forum better: site:tw200forum.com tire size. Replace the words "tire size" with something like "oil in airbox". It should give you a few forum posts in the past in which to search similar problems you have.

I wish I could give you an exact cause to your problem, but if you read some of the posts from the search, it may lead you in the right direction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts