TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from NC. My son and I just picked up an 87. He had been been wanting to learn how to ride. I always thought these bikes were cool but I had never owned or even ridden one. From what I read lurking around here, a TW seemed like the perfect bike for him to learn and for an old, out of practice dirtbiker like myself to enjoy as well.

We found this one a couple of hours away. Original owner had moved and left for his nephew. Only showing about 3500 miles if we can trust the odometer. Bike is complete, even got the original owners manual and the original title from whe he first bought it. It hadn' t been run (or washed) in at least a year. Drained the tank and added fresh gas with Seafoam. New spark plug, fuel line and a inline filter. Trickle charged the battery overnight. Did my best to clean the carb ( I know nothing about carbs) and Surprise! It started right up! Not running very well but good enough for us to feel like we did something and to ride around the block. Brakes seem decent, lights all work, and with a cleaning it should look pretty good too. We are excited and looking forward to learning about our new toy together.

Short list of what I think we need to start:
- New screen on petcock in tank. Old one fell apart when I touched it.
- Air filter
- Oil & filter change
- New battery ( old one wouln't take a charge and doesn't seem to fit batt box)
- New tires. Think these are original and rear is cracked on the sidewall.
- Clutch lever. End is broken off.
- another carb cleaning/rebuild to get it running smooth. May need someone more knowledgeable for this. I might try myself again first and just ask a lot of questions here. That is how you learn, right?

I am sure there is a lot more. Any info/comments/suggestions are appreciated. I haven't done anything with bikes in years so other than the dealership I don't know where to begin looking for a lot of this stuff. I'm sure I will be posting up questions soon. In the meantime here is a pic.

Tom

Attachments

Registered
welcome.
i'm surprised tommy didn't go off on how wonderful the '87 is... fastest Tdub don'cha know. ;)

search on here, there's lots of info on maintenance, and lots of people willing to help.

Super Moderator
welcome.
i'm surprised tommy didn't go off on how wonderful the '87 is... fastest Tdub don'cha know. ;)

search on here, there's lots of info on maintenance, and lots of people willing to help.
In order not to be so proud-full, I decided to refrain myself, once. ;)

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the TW!

It continues to amaze me how many 1987's are out there and seem to re-surface in such good shape.

Hey Littletommy, is yours a red one or a blue one?
It was a blue one with 1800 miles on it, paid 1600 for it; a dollar more than what they sold for in 87...:rolleyes: Its black now.

Registered
Welcome!

Absolutely replace those vintage tires before you ride it again - that's dangerous! When you go through the bike with a fine tooth comb, take a look at all the elastomers (lines, boots, grommets, etc) - rubber is the enemy of time, regardless of how well the bike was maintained.

Pro tip: the forum doesn't have a great search feature, but if you google your keywords plus "site:tw200forum.com" you will find everything under the sun. First stop: search for threads on tires.

There are a lot of smart and helpful folks on here who can help you out wherever needed.

Registered
Welcome -- I have two '87's and everything littletommy says about them is true!

You said "change the oil filter". If you do make sure you have the right one as in when you look at the end of the filter you see four (4) little holes. If those holes aren't there the camshaft doesn't get any oil.

The oil filter is a screen and can be cleaned and reused. You might want to go that route and save a couple of bucks.

Oil Filter 2.jpg

Registered
Nice! Looks clean.
Try finding the new carb they changed to and if you can adapt to a disk brake up front.

The drum brake on the back of my 2013 is so non-existant that I tend to over-brake on front and it about put me on the road on gravel on concrete last fall.
Don't trust a drum brake up front but tell your son to learn on this bike slowly and do not ride it hard or fast, it cannot brake as a regular modern street bike
can and never will even with a good disk up front.
If he is never over 45mph on the street and will practice slowing down using the back brake while on gravel and non-concrete type streets he should be fine
but he is riding an old school bike that is not going to give him maximum safety in stopping.

Other than that, ride safe, ride hard, have fun and enjoy this new creature as it is a wonder and should be well cared for.

If you change out that carb or anything else save all the old parts for future so it can go back pure stock. It will be worth more.

But, don't ever sell it!

Cheers and welcome.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the welcome and replies. Keep the suggestions coming. I have used the search feature some and try to do that before I post questions. The next thing I want to do is get the old oil out of there. Thought I saw on here where many use a quality 10w40. Is that correct? If that is a screen and not a filter than I will probably just clean it if it is good shape. I imagine I will need a gasket. I will also try to find a service manual before I get much further so I can look a lot of this up.

Is the local dealer the best source for gaskets/ air filterl/ petcock filter or is there anaftermarket source you guys prefer?

Registered
Hello from NC. My son and I just picked up an 87. He had been been wanting to learn how to ride. I always thought these bikes were cool but I had never owned or even ridden one. From what I read lurking around here, a TW seemed like the perfect bike for him to learn and for an old, out of practice dirtbiker like myself to enjoy as well.

We found this one a couple of hours away. Original owner had moved and left for his nephew. Only showing about 3500 miles if we can trust the odometer. Bike is complete, even got the original owners manual and the original title from whe he first bought it. It hadn' t been run (or washed) in at least a year. Drained the tank and added fresh gas with Seafoam. New spark plug, fuel line and a inline filter. Trickle charged the battery overnight. Did my best to clean the carb ( I know nothing about carbs) and Surprise! It started right up! Not running very well but good enough for us to feel like we did something and to ride around the block. Brakes seem decent, lights all work, and with a cleaning it should look pretty good too. We are excited and looking forward to learning about our new toy together.

Short list of what I think we need to start:
- New screen on petcock in tank. Old one fell apart when I touched it.
- Air filter
- Oil & filter change
- New battery ( old one wouln't take a charge and doesn't seem to fit batt box)
- New tires. Think these are original and rear is cracked on the sidewall.
- Clutch lever. End is broken off.
- another carb cleaning/rebuild to get it running smooth. May need someone more knowledgeable for this. I might try myself again first and just ask a lot of questions here. That is how you learn, right?

I am sure there is a lot more. Any info/comments/suggestions are appreciated. I haven't done anything with bikes in years so other than the dealership I don't know where to begin looking for a lot of this stuff. I'm sure I will be posting up questions soon. In the meantime here is a pic.

Tom
Welcome to the madhouse. Before you spend too much time repeatedly going through that carb check the rubber boots that connect the carb to the intake and head. They tend to shrink and crack with age and will give you similar symptoms as a gummed up carb. More than anything enjoy the time you spend with your son and the new bike.

Tom

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Dryden-Tdub- thanks for the tip. Hadn't thought about that and I had the carb off. It was pretty nasty and I was surprised I got it back together and it started. I may be able to get it running smooth myself after all. Especially with all the help from here.

VYSION - thanks for the compliment. It was around $1000. Don't know if that is good or not. By the time I replace tires and battery and do some other needed maintenance it will be getting up there in cost. At the end of the day though I just wanted one of these. I think they are cool and I thought it would be great for my son to learn( and wife too if she will ride it) I watch craigslist around here pretty often and they just don't come up for sale much. When they do they are usually more than I paid so I am Ok with it.

Fred - thanks for the link and info. Already downloaded the manual. Probably won't have time to work on it until the later in the week but that will really help. I like being able to look things up.

I'm going to try to pick up a battery soon as well. It is nice to have the kick start, that was the only way back when I used to ride dirt bikes. I wasn't in too much of a rush for a battery because I wanted to make sure my son used the kickstarter a little. He got it going no problem so I can check that lesson off the list.

Registered
Dryden-Tdub- thanks for the tip. Hadn't thought about that and I had the carb off. It was pretty nasty and I was surprised I got it back together and it started. I may be able to get it running smooth myself after all. Especially with all the help from here.

VYSION - thanks for the compliment. It was around $1000. Don't know if that is good or not. By the time I replace tires and battery and do some other needed maintenance it will be getting up there in cost. At the end of the day though I just wanted one of these. I think they are cool and I thought it would be great for my son to learn( and wife too if she will ride it) I watch craigslist around here pretty often and they just don't come up for sale much. When they do they are usually more than I paid so I am Ok with it.

Fred - thanks for the link and info. Already downloaded the manual. Probably won't have time to work on it until the later in the week but that will really help. I like being able to look things up.

I'm going to try to pick up a battery soon as well. It is nice to have the kick start, that was the only way back when I used to ride dirt bikes. I wasn't in too much of a rush for a battery because I wanted to make sure my son used the kickstarter a little. He got it going no problem so I can check that lesson off the list.
Your statement is actually kind of telling;) If you didn't struggle at all getting that carb back in position then the rubber has in fact shrank with age and is probably dried and cracked as well. A simple test I have read about but not tried myself is to spray WD-40 around those boots while the bike is running. If the engine races then you know air is getting past the boots. Or something like that;)

Tom

Registered
Awesome find. You have lucked onto the fastest of the TW's. You will love it, as will your son, at least till he gets beat by a faster bike, then he'll want a faster bike.lol You'll love the forum even more. Check out the classifieds on here as there are lots of people who have things you will need at a reasonable price. It's also nice to help out a fellow TW'er.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So the weekend is here and I should get to work on the bike some. I have no local dealer. Did check a dealer yesterday about 60 miles away. They had no carb kit, levers, or air filter that would work for me so I guess I will try to find online. I am going to pick up a new battery today, batteries plus has them in stock. Also can compare my broken lever to a friends pile of spares. Might get lucky and find one. After getting it running last weekend, I tried to start it yesterday but no go. Noticed 2 things about carb:

1) choke feels different. Like it is disconnected or not doing anything when I try to engage it. Not sure what is going on there.

2) although it did run the other day, the mixture screw ( one in front of bowl ?) was 6 turns out. I know nothing about carbs except what i read on here recently but that seemed like a lot. If I read correctly it should be about 2 1/2? Before I disassembled to clean I counted the turns in to gently seat it all the way and it was 6. So when I took it out and cleaned I put it back that way. Should I re-adjust this to 2 1/2 out or leave it as it was since it ran?

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Pulled the carb again and recleaned it. Think I found the passage for the choke and made sure it was clear. Did a better job on my sticky float but still a bit sticky. Adjusted the mixture screw to 2 1/2 turns. New battery in. Started right up!

I will order a rebuild kit as soon as I find one. It needs it. I am more confident with the carb now after a couple disassemblies and reading through a lot of carb posts here.

My son went around the yard slowly with it for a while getting the feel for it and then we went around the block a few times. He did great and enjoyed it. Good times.

Looking forward to doing some more maintenence since it appears it will run. Have to get that oil changed and adjust the chain. Finding an air filter is high on the list as well. I'm sure I will have more questions as I go. Thanks again for all the suggestions so far.

Registered
Happy to hear you are rocking your '87. If you can post pics, we love to see how you're getting along, and your beautiful TW.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts