TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you may remember I had to put our beloved June to sleep in early march,
With a heavy heart I looked in shelters and other rescues and found nothing to bring home as I am kind or Beagle Bias, While we did see a couple, They needed a lot of sorting out to be able to live our life style,
Well, It dawned on me one day, I thought of an old friend who bread 1 litter of beagles a year as hes a farmer who raises 2 cows and one pig a year for food and hunts rabbits for the table, He's kinda out there, But a good hearted guy who's been breeding his own flavor of hunting beagle for 20+ years, They are all black and tan with no white,
I called him and he just had a litter and there was one which had white in her which went back 4 generations and he didn't want to keep her,
Well Eileen and I went out to see him when the pups were a month old, We thought OK, Lets see them when they are 7 to 8 weeks old,
Please remember that this is a typical hunter/farmer who raises doge in large rabbit hutch surroundings and the never see the inside of a car or a house.
Se we went back on May the 26th and decided to bring her home,
Well folks,
Heres the new addition to the pack,
She's "~~~~~", We can't think of a proper name yet,
But happy and lively and I think she is the smartest Beagle pup I've seen !
I never had a pup younger than 6 months, So this 8 week old pup will be interesting to raise,
Heres a couple pics,
pu3.jpg p3.jpg p4.jpg
You can see her Black and Tan siblings,
So far so good !
She's taken on to living in comfort well and reminds me of June in several ways already,
View attachment 105689
So it will be interesting how she will learn in the next 6 months !
P.S.
She's a real magnet at the dog park.
Peter B

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~
Update, June 4th,
She still has no name and were looking for suggestions,
Im stuck on Rabbit and Eileen likes Mable,
A million names out there and we can't seem to find one,
We've been running her all over,
Been to the park, Got her to play in a shallow creek,
She tags along with us thru the woods with no collar wonderfully and responds to calling her so we really need a name,
I picked up my side car rig yesterday and it needs a carb overhaul and a steering damper installed and possibly the fairing removed,
1972 BMW R65/5 swb.
Runs down the road fine except for the dang carbs,
As soon as carbs get done we will ride around with Pup on Wifes lap,
So far the pup has no fear of the rig,
I hope that the next 15 years with her will be a nice as the last were with Juniper.
Yesterdays pics.
pu6.jpg sc1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
17,658 Posts
Very cute!! My pup Katy is now a year and three months. What a firecracker she's been. I had forgotten how much work a new pup was, but she's turning out to be a great Chihuahua. I'm glad you got a new pup to love Pred!! Looks like she is doing your heart good. :D

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
She is cute as a button and has a very sharp and alert look about her. I love the breed but not fond of a dog that barks a lot unless they are hunting. Never owned one but friends always say they are great dogs, very lovable but you have to be on your toes because once they get on a trail they will run for ever, males especially. My uncle had to leave his hunting coat in the woods all the time and go back for the dog the next morning who would be curled up on it and worn right out.

Congrats and thanks for providing a good home.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Awwwww, she's gorgeous (also Beagle bias as you know).

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
She is a bright pup,
Listens to every word even if nothing means a thing yet,
Very acute to surroundings as well,
I am hoping that I can get her into a sidecar without too much fear,
She's already great in the car and will follow me thru the yard and small woods behind the house.
Ive never had a pup under 6 months old before,
And Yes they can be a lot of work,
But if I work with her well and consistently,
I believe I will be rewarded with a good pal.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The best time for a pup like that is if you happen to be retired and can take her with you all the time. Puppies can't stand being left alone but absolutely love following us around and even better if you do a lot of outdoor stuff.

I built this for my TW and the dog and it was the best thing I ever did. She loved riding and there was no way I could go without her behind me.

IMG_0467.JPG

GaryL

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I love that picture Gary. I think you sent it to me when I was interested and going up to buy my current TW from you last July. That was July 31st I believe, hard to believe it's been almost a year.

Your pup looks so happy to be along for the ride. I've had 2 dogs into riding. Peppermint the Beagle and my best friend & Co-pilot loves riding in the sidecar. Something they will either take to or hate which will make it dangerous for them.
And my long gone mutt dog of 14 years, O'Keefe. I didn't own a car when I got him and he was so small when found on the side of the road that I just stuck him in my leather jacket with his head sticking out. Apparently he somehow learned the agility of leaning into and out of turns (this is on a regular 2 wheeled cycle). Eventually he just sat partially on the seat in front of me with his front paws on the tank leaning back and forth. Never was able to wax that gas tank so he had a good grip. I have one picture of him riding with me on a '74 Honda CL450 someplace. I was 17 at the time.

Pred/Peter, Go to Hulu or Vimeo and rent or buy a movie called "Sit, Stay, Ride". All about sidecar riders and their dogs who ride. Some were successful, some were not. A great film in a documentary format. Was produced and directed by the same brothers team that did "The Best Bar In America", another sidecar based movie. Basically 'Easy Rider" on 3 wheels, folks looking for themselves and America... and a damn good drink.

I forgot to add... you should watch "Sit, Stay, Ride" with your new baby Pup as there is some good barking that perhaps she'll understand?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
You could put your Pup into your jacket now to get her at least used to the sound and movement of a bike. But very, very gently so not to scare her. Just sit on the bike and start and stop the engine and see her reaction. She's just a baby.

·
Registered
13,516 Posts
Well folks, Heres the new addition to the pack,

View attachment 105681
P.S.
She's a real magnet at the dog park.
Peter B

Very cute.

Now's the time to start training her to be a WWI Fighter Pilot. One can never start training too early you know!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Gotta love a dog thread! Beauties all!

We currently have 3 of our own and one "foster fail"

We took in this puppy, now named Paisley, that my daughter in FL is going to adopt. We're delivering it next week.

Shown here with Chowder, who has taken on a patient, maternal role for now.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
FastEddieB, that picture looks as if there are two gray dogs. lol I had to look a couple times to see that there are only two dogs total.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
There are beagles (and other breeds and mutts) in this trailer:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts