TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New here and just had a few questions before purchase. Dealer salesperson said the TW should be used 80% Road and 20% Trail. My intentions were just the opposite in regards to my riding being 80% Trail and 20% Road. Just wanted to hear from you guys with experience on what your thoughts are?

·
Registered
928 Posts
It really depends on your intentions. If you intend to use it like a regular dirt bike - fast and hard - you'll be disappointed because that's not what it's intended to do. But if you intend to use it as an exploration vehicle that can carry you (plus your lunch, luggage, tools, and probably a pal) around all day like a sure-footed mule, then this bike will crawl over rough trails all day long.

·
Registered
13,352 Posts
Go to the Trails, Off-Road, and Adventure Riding thread and view some of the posts, pictures, and video's and see for yourself if the TW is the right machine for you. Also, there are some members with some awesome off-site Blogs which have great pictures and videos. Look for those links in members signature areas at the end of one of their posts.

Good luck.

Trails, Off-road, and Adventure Riding

·
Super Moderator
1,908 Posts
Welcome Will, :joyous:

Now I will be the first to ask. Where you from??????

Ride how you want, sales guy has no idea what he's talking about, if he hasn't tried to sell you on a bigger bike I'm sure he will try and talk you out of the TW to go to a bigger bike.

80% dirt, try and get them to change out the front tire to make the deal. Shinko 244 and the 241 are good choices. 4.60

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
THIS... I even call mine "the mule"...:)

It really depends on your intentions. If you intend to use it like a regular dirt bike - fast and hard - you'll be disappointed because that's not what it's intended to do. But if you intend to use it as an exploration vehicle that can carry you (plus your lunch, luggage, tools, and probably a pal) around all day like a sure-footed mule, then this bike will crawl over rough trails all day long.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Use it on trails all you want.

It's fully compatible on streets as well.

Where it's NOT so good, unless you up your final-drive gearing, is highways. A 200cc enduro just cannot happily do 60 mph...oh, it'll do it in short bursts, but it's spinning far too fast for its design. Your fuel mileage will drop; your mirrors will blur; your hands will go numb and you'll never, ever feel so happy to ride slow again.

If you get into this in a big way, there are posters here who've built 225 or 250cc versions of the same engine; sometimes with six-speed transmissions. With those you can reasonably expect to hit 65 - except, remember, that chassis is not a BMW GS. It's fine for what it's designed to do - but design does factor in. You wouldn't take a Gold Wing on a fire trail; and you cannot expect to take a TW on a hundred-mile Interstate run.

·
Super Moderator
1,908 Posts
Hi All,

New here and just had a few questions before purchase. Dealer salesperson said the TW should be used 80% Road and 20% Trail. My intentions were just the opposite in regards to my riding being 80% Trail and 20% Road. Just wanted to hear from you guys with experience on what your thoughts are?
Here show this to the salesman. I never get tired of this video. :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Some of us....Fred...WA. Larry.....Idaho Larry...Wandering Larry...Admiral.....myself, and several others are willing to take these bikes to places where no KTM rider would dare go, but we do it at a slightly slower pace (only slightly), and with a much bigger grin on our faces.
That, I can believe.

I don't see KTM riders smiling much. I see them looking unhappy, waiting at the very-pricey dealer's (the local one is also a BMW dealer; and that's expensive real estate) or else broke by the side of the trail.

There doesn't seem much to smile about, in ownership of one of those P'sOS.

It's German-versus-Austrian culture. The Germans are precise and perfectionists. The Austrians...are the Germans who didn't want to be Germans - they wanted to drink too much beer, paint bad pictures, lounge about in loud clothes. When Austrians try to engineer a German machine, you get a disaster like a KTM.

I wouldn't own one if it were given to me free.

·
Registered
13,352 Posts
That, I can believe.

I don't see KTM riders smiling much. I see them looking unhappy, waiting at the very-pricey dealer's (the local one is also a BMW dealer; and that's expensive real estate) or else broke by the side of the trail.

There doesn't seem much to smile about, in ownership of one of those P'sOS.

It's German-versus-Austrian culture. The Germans are precise and perfectionists. The Austrians...are the Germans who didn't want to be Germans - they wanted to drink too much beer, paint bad pictures, lounge about in loud clothes. When Austrians try to engineer a German machine, you get a disaster like a KTM.

I wouldn't own one if it were given to me free.

I can only add my son joined us in Moab with a borrowed 250 Kawasaki because his KTM 450 EXC was down...again. He had to ride the spare ATV on a ride last year with me for the same KTM reason! Huh!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm from Massachusetts......will ask them to make that deal, The tires you mentioned are 4.60 wide? Prefer the wider tires to be honest... Very appreciated.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Here show this to the salesman. I never get tired of this video. :)
Hey GoldenBoy, thanks for that cool vid!
Question...can someone tell the name of that song?
Love it but can't place it...
Thx!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Don't listen to a dealer nor to a salesperson. Heck, many of them don't even ride.

This bike can handle it.

If you want fast, go with KTM but prepare to work on it night and day.

If you want dirt riding then you may want a dedicated bike that is for off road only.
If you want light, powerful and crazy fast perhaps the KTM as mentioned above is best but get out your wallet.

How many miles, hours, days, a year will you ride this bike?

It all depends.

What I would do is buy used, buy as new as you can get and flog the heck out of it for 6 months to a year.
Then you decide.

How much do you weigh?

Will you be camping off of this or only day trips into the wilderness?

It all depends.

I use mine 100% on the road. I've had my 2010 on tall hill climb trails and through crazy streams and over rocks 3 foot in diameter.
Did it make it? Yes, just fine.
Am I glad I've had a TW over another brand or model? Yes.

But, it all depends.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts