TW200 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
WOW - Just took the TW for a quick ride with the "new" 1998 VTR1000 shock fully installed. What a difference, no more squishy rear end or bottoming out.

Very firm ride. It will be great loaded up with gear for deer hunting

I am currently using the 3rd preload setting from the bottom and I will be backing it all the way down to the 0 preload setting for unloaded driving. (I'll report when I drive it with no preload)

The rebound adjustment screw 1/2 turn out from fully seated (that what the VTR1000 forums recommended for street use :).

I am 230 lbs and when I hop on the seat, it hardly squats - maybe 1/2".

For $30 and a little elbow grease, this is a very noticeable improvement - $ well spent.

Good luck!

·
Registered
340 Posts
This looks like a nice alternative to the stock shock, but has anyone measured the stroke of the shock or mounted the shock body (w/o spring) on the bike and checked the travel???? This is the missing data here!

I shimmed the preload on my stock shock about 3/8" and it feels about right for my weight...215lbs so I think the stock (TW) spring on the VTR shock might be the way to go, especially with the adjustable preload collar...

·
Registered
715 Posts
Just got back from a 10 mile run or gravel roads. With the preload backed all the way off, the VTR1000 shock / spring set is perfect for unloaded cruising.

I realized that the preload was on #4, which is 1/2 the available preload - too much for my 230lbs with no cargo.

The stroke of the two shocks sitting side x side looks similar - I did not check swing arm travel with the springs off.

Good luck!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just got back from a 10 mile run or gravel roads. With the preload backed all the way off, the VTR1000 shock / spring set is perfect for unloaded cruising.

I realized that the preload was on #4, which is 1/2 the available preload - too much for my 230lbs with no cargo.

The stroke of the two shocks sitting side x side looks similar - I did not check swing arm travel with the spr

Good luck!
ok thanks, i think i will try the vtr shock with the tw spring

·
Registered
98 FLHTC...04TW...04TW
290 Posts
Just want to thank TWBrian for swapping my stock yellow springs for some new red ones I got for my birthday. It was a quick 15 minute visit but I was able to see the new ATV tire -trailer rim combo. Looks way cooler in person. Thanks again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Must admit that this mod got me to surmising, so $26 for a good Vtr unit on ebay, $6 for the 10 to 12mm lower frame bushings and the fun commenced. My '15 shock measurements didn't quite jive out with the Vtr shock & the ride was way too stiff with the Vtr spring so everything had to come apart. Had a 1/2" spacer made to go between the spring and adjuster collar up top along with swapping in the TW spring. A few washers of the correct size to shim things up where the ends bolt on, a bit of rebound adjustment and the difference is worth the effort......and compared to some of the reads here, mine took a bit more Effort. Ride height is about 1-1/2" taller in the seat. Overall, this was a good mod at a affordable price, just took a bit of time to get all the minor particulars worked out.
My thanks to the trailblazers here for
taking the plunge first.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Hey LittleTen,

Congrats on your successful shock mod!

Do you have any pics that show how this shock looks and fits on the TW? What are the benefits of the VTR shock over the stock TW one?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey LittleTen,

Congrats on your successful shock mod!

Do you have any pics that show how this shock looks and fits on the TW? What are the benefits of the VTR shock over the stock TW one?
Thank ya, sir
No pics as of yet. This operation took more then one fitting and by the time it was all ready for final, I just wanted to get the exercise over with! I will see about getting a few pics asap. The main benefit is the adjustable rebound setting. A secondary one would be slightly increased ride height, if your tall or average size. Shorter folks might not care for that part. The ride, with the original TW spring is noticeably improved with the rebound adjuster.

·
Registered
93 Posts
20160501_130348.jpg 20160501_130510.jpg

There ya go.
I got the flasher out of the way temporarily
for a better view of the showas new home.
Apologies for the 'slant' on things there. This editor
does things I don't want it to.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Has anybody measured actual travel yet? As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, increase seat height with no corresponding increase in travel would be less desirable, even if you had rebound dampening. If you look closely at the picture that mra32 has in post 12 of this thread it doesn't appear there is more travel, maybe less.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just finished the VTR shock mod on my T-Dub last night. Wow, What a difference! I can now sit on the seat with my feet comfortably flat on the ground. The bike squats maybe a half inch. Before the bike would squat about 1 1/2 to 2 inches with my 6' 250 lbs on it. I took it for a quick ride last night and it felt like a completely different bike. Between that and the heavier spring upgrade with emulators in the front forks, I think I've got it just how I want it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I just finished the VTR shock mod on my T-Dub last night. Wow, What a difference! I can now sit on the seat with my feet comfortably flat on the ground. The bike squats maybe a half inch. Before the bike would squat about 1 1/2 to 2 inches with my 6' 250 lbs on it. I took it for a quick ride last night and it felt like a completely different bike. Between that and the heavier spring upgrade with emulators in the front forks, I think I've got it just how I want it.
That sounds very interesting! Any pictures or info? Did you need to modify anything?

Edit: Doh! Just read the rest of the thread, all the info is already there

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Great job. Which spring did you use? I bought a blaster shock but decided not to use that one after reading more about the blaster shock mod. I may try the VTR mod, that one does sound good.

·
Registered
463 Posts
This mod seems very interesting, I will have to keep it in mind for a winter project. Thanks to all who have contributed to it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great job. Which spring did you use? I bought a blaster shock but decided not to use that one after reading more about the blaster shock mod. I may try the VTR mod, that one does sound good.
I used the Honda VTR shock with the Honda VTR Spring just as I bought it off ebay. I did adjust the preload to the lowest preload setting. I haven't tried to change the rebound screw setting yet. It just seems to be so much better than stock for a fat kid riding it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I used this shock (Honda VTR 1000) on my TW. It is easily adjustable. It was too stiff for me on the lightest setting, but after doing my 2 inch swingarm extension it is perfect on the stiffer setting.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts