TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

New rear tire

7K views 38 replies 19 participants last post by  Andre 
#1 ·
I put on a 26x8x14 duro rear tire. A very small area won't bead up. If I ride it will it bead on its own?

#2 ·
Hi jhc, and welcome to the forum!

Not sure, but it might work depending upon the length of the area that still needs to seat. If it were me, here is what I would be tempted to try. First, drop the tire pressure down to 0 psi and well lubricate the area of the tire/rim that still needs to be seated. Next, air the Duro up to about 4-5 psi and ride it around town for a few miles and see if that does the trick. The thinking here is that at this low pressure, the sidewall of the Duro may flex enough for the bead to seat. However, if you are using the original Duro, the sidewall is very stiff, so this may not work. If it doesn't work, inflate the Duro to the maximum pressure indicated on the sidewall - probably about 33-36 psi and leave the tire either out in the direct sun (weather permitting) or in well heated space indoors. Repeat this entire process until the bead seats. Be patient and do not the exceed the maximum recommended tire pressure.

Good luck!

Brian

#6 ·
Couple thoughts.

I used an air hose extension with a lock-on air chuck so I could air up my Ceros ATV from a safe distance just in case. During the beading procedure, I strategically placed my tire on some 1x1's inside a stepladder, 1x1's straddled through the steps over top of space heater and covered the whole contraption with plastic to hold in the heat.

The bead on my tire didn't pop on until I started repeatedly cycling airing it up and letting the air back out with a tire lube of my choice. Initially, just one side popped on but I was able to get the other side to pop on within a few try's after the first side popped on so it was quick once the first side slide on.

I used Astroglide lube but next time I'll try the tire lube Mel mentioned many moons ago (of which I can't remember the name off hand). Ha, I said off hand and astroglide in the same post.

#9 ·
There's also some called "Bull Snot". Quite a name huh? I've not tried it but, ever since I was looking up tire lube on Amazon, I clicked on that brand and, no matter what I'm looking at, from that point on, RV forums, TW forums, Gold Wing forums, no matter, an ad pops up for "Bull Snot" somewhere on that page.

As for using the *FIRE* method for seating the beads, well, yeah, that's been done for decades and decades. The very first time I saw it was in mid '80 when I was having some 33x12.50's installed on my 16.5 wheels on my '79 Ford F-350 One ton. The tire tech had just finished mounting all four of those 12.50's but, didn't inflate them. Instead, one at a time, he's walk over to the un-inflated tire/wheel combo and, spray in some tire buffing liquid, VERY FLAMBIBLE STUFF with a very low vapor point. Then, after squirting a basic amount in the bead/inside the tire area, he sprayed a trail from the tire, to a few feet away, much like was done in that video in the later part. At that point, I'm really wondering what the heck is going on here, as I watched.

Well, since MANY people smoked at that time and era, he took out a cigarette and, lit it. With the same match, he lit the trail of the tire buffing liquid. That fire found its way to the tire/wheel combo and, BAM, it was seated and, it had an immediate 15 psi pressure in it. He checked it and said: "Yep, 15 psi, just like I figured. He then did the other three, the same way. Each time, it was a one-shot deal. He did not have to do multiple attempts like the video showed. Since then, I've done that same method several times.

Is it safe, hell no it's not safe. Has anyone died from it? Not a clue. I spoke with the manager of the tire store about his procedure when I went into pay for my new tires. The manager chuckled a bit and stated: "Yeah, he's been doing that method for years and, not one tire or wheel has ever been damaged". I suspect "OSHA" might have had something to say about that method, but, I don't think they were around then. Anyway, I used dawn dish soap for my last tire job on the TW and, it worked flawlessly. But, I was advised by another member here later that, dish soap will or can, eventually almost turn into a glue and make removal of the tire, at a later date, be somewhat hard to do. Only time will tell as, I'm not planning on tearing those two tires down any time soon, THEY'RE BRAND NEW. I'll worry about that at a later date.
Scott

#20 ·
Hey Scootrbrained,
What movie is the term "Big Brother" from?
Scott

Reactions: Scooterbrained
#21 ·
I used to keep tropical fish. Silicon lube was essential to keep the rubber gaskets on the external filters fluid, and in place. Since that time, I have learned it works on the rubber gaskets of our motorcycles as well

As to any other use, I have no idea whatsoever as to what you are eluding too, other than seating tire beading

Having said this, there is a time and a place for Bull Snot ….

#24 ·
You have got my attention. May have to search that one out.

Talk about '84 coming to be. If you watched the original Back To The Future check this out if you haven't watched it already.
Wont be near as good if you didn't see the movie but still a fun watch.

Marty

Reactions: grewen
#27 ·
"1984" released in 1984. After a global atomic war, an omnipresent government, headed by the party leader Big Brother, persecutes individualism and uses public mind control to sustain their totalitarian rule. Kind of like watching CNN these days.

#29 ·
Dawn dish soap and KY jelly for bead seating...can't believe anything on TV, radio or facebook. The truth is out there...just ain't found it yet....cow methane can be burned in a TW if you can figure out how to catch it but I suspect it's a smelly job.

Reactions: Fred
#30 ·
Good advice there Molochnik.
Most modern tubes do seem fairly weak and prone to failure. I have numerous small wheeled carts, wheelbarrows, hand trucks, chippers, and a wood splitter all prone to developing cracks & leaks in both tubes & tires short order. Cause is unknown other than possibly nation of manufacture.
Anyways for my TWs I have little concern about the rear tire slipping on the rim irregardless of bead seating lube. Seems neither 13 horsepower nor panic braking are strong enough to shift the tight fitting bead on the 14" rim.

Reactions: molochnik
#33 ·
My TerraCrossI is on a JoeMama 2" extended swing arm but others have proven it fits on stock swing arm.

I have had similar experience as Sthrntomr with the TerraCross other than going tubeless with sealed spokes.
Based on experience with a Duro ATV tire I knew I never ever wanted to patch a tube on a stock wheel/ATV tire combo so went tubeless. I spent $10 to have local tire shop hydraulically spoon on the Terracross , money well spent since new tire laughed at me and my tire machine's futile efforts to mechanically spoon the stiff tire on in sub-freezing weather with just arm power and a 3 foot lever.
Adding RideOn sealant sealed the deal as the TerraCross's greater void ratio means a greater probability of a nail finding & puncturing the open gaps between the V tread blocks compared to a stock TrailWing tire.
Rounded profile makes this tire very versatile in my opinion. Lays over at speed in the twisties with confidence yet churns through respectable depths of snow. Bold V-blocks grab roots and wrap around rocks and ledges like no stock TrailWing ever could.
Would I recommend anything different? Well, I rode TW-Brian's bike with the new lighter rounder Duro II and thought it better than the rather square profile original Duro and it's legions of clones. Off road in shattered loose rock slopes I thing the Duro's wide cross-tire tread blocks grabs the loose stuff slightly better than the TerraCross.

Reactions: Sthrnromr
#34 ·
My TerraCrossI is on a JoeMama 2" extended swing arm but others have proven it fits on stock swing arm.

I have had similar experience as Sthrntomr with the TerraCross other than going tubeless with sealed spokes.
Based on experience with a Duro ATV tire I knew I never ever wanted to patch a tube on a stock wheel/ATV tire combo so went tubeless. I spent $10 to have local tire shop hydraulically spoon on the Terracross , money well spent since new tire laughed at me and my tire machine's futile efforts to mechanically spoon the stiff tire on in sub-freezing weather with just arm power and a 3 foot lever.
Adding RideOn sealant sealed the deal as the TerraCross's greater void ratio means a greater probability of a nail finding & puncturing the open gaps between the V tread blocks compared to a stock TrailWing tire.
Rounded profile makes this tire very versatile in my opinion. Lays over at speed in the twisties with confidence yet churns through respectable depths of snow. Bold V-blocks grab roots and wrap around rocks and ledges like no stock TrailWing ever could.
Would I recommend anything different? Well, I rode TW-Brian's bike with the new lighter rounder Duro II and thought it better than the rather square profile original Duro and it's legions of clones. Off road in shattered loose rock slopes I thing the Duro's wide cross-tire tread blocks grabs the loose stuff slightly better than the TerraCross. Opinion based on my past Duro experience as well as riding recent rides alongside Admiral with his Duro and my TerraCross. Both air down nicely and seem safe on highway @ 10 psi.

Reactions: Sthrnromr
#36 ·
I'm sorry but the extended swing arm was not a commercial item but rather a gift made years ago by a respected and impressive Forum member Joemama. He was the first Forum member I met when he had me as a guest in his home on eve of my first Group Ride. Great guy, but he no longer makes these extended swing arms.
However the fabrication is not difficult and if you use the Advanced Search feature here you might be able to find numerous old threads elaborating various methods used over the years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.