TW200 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,849 Posts
I used to keep tropical fish. Silicon lube was essential to keep the rubber gaskets on the external filters fluid, and in place. Since that time, I have learned it works on the rubber gaskets of our motorcycles as well

As to any other use, I have no idea whatsoever as to what you are eluding too, other than seating tire beading

Having said this, there is a time and a place for Bull Snot ….

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey Scootrbrained,
What movie is the term "Big Brother" from?
Scott
1. Either I can't remember, or
B. I may have never known

Sorry I can't give a better answer than that. For some reason, I suspect you may know and it was a quiz??

Marty

·
Registered
334 Posts
1. Either I can't remember, or
B. I may have never known

Sorry I can't give a better answer than that. For some reason, I suspect you may know and it was a quiz??

Marty
Georg Orwell's novel and, movie, "1984". "Big brother" is watching you. When we (as in the kids on the block) were growing up in the late '60s and into the '70s, that movie came out and we thought: Man, this is the future? We were kind-a concerned. But, 1984 came and went, there was no scenarios in life, that came about, as representation of the ideals of that movie theme. Pretty easy to influence kids.
Scott

·
Registered
321 Posts
You have got my attention. May have to search that one out.

Talk about '84 coming to be. If you watched the original Back To The Future check this out if you haven't watched it already.
Wont be near as good if you didn't see the movie but still a fun watch.

Marty

·
Registered
33 Posts
Georg Orwell's novel and, movie, "1984". "Big brother" is watching you. When we (as in the kids on the block) were growing up in the late '60s and into the '70s, that movie came out and we thought: Man, this is the future? We were kind-a concerned. But, 1984 came and went, there was no scenarios in life, that came about, as representation of the ideals of that movie theme. Pretty easy to influence kids.
Scott
Nothing's sacred anymore. Big brother's tracking every move.
Back in the mid-2000s I worked for a bunch of very savvy computer nerds as their "mechanical guy" to design, build, and install flight-hardened enclosures for data collection and communication boxes.
Our boss began noticing that anything he may have looked up began showing up as ads on the sidebar of a browser window. I noticed it too but didn't give it much thought until I was looking up non-bike related things; figured it was some buffered content from past searches.
Make no mistake, somewhere your searches are becoming archived and used to harangue you into buying whatever you looked at...no matter what you're told, although folks like me are looking less crazy/paranoid than we were back before the whole Wikileaks/NSA/et al thing became a thing. Be careful out there.
Not to sound even crazier, I hadn't read 1984 until I was 40 and it changed my life with what I knew about data collection and archiving - it was the business I found myself in after the aircraft maintenance.

I'm looking forward to see what the shape of the Tdubs bead area on the wheel looks like with all the mention of bead-seating woes. If the fire methods make one squirrely, I'm a fan of repeated inflation and deflation with generous amounts of lube added between cycles.

A standard molochnik anecdote: When I worked on buses it was common to use a light amount of soap and water sprayed on all of the air cylinders on and around the engine to find leak/s. Leaks became more common where they once were absent (tracked this by bus number) and began to realize that the rubbers inside were becoming dry and cracked...needing attention themselves.
I switched to Ru-Glide and water, I got from the tire man, but eventually just went to plain water and it would indicate just fine.
I said all of that to say that one ought to be careful using soap around tubes. They generally aren't made with same flinty goodness as a tire and are prone to drying and cracking (YMMV). If it'll dry and crack your skin, it'll do it to a tube...bicycle tubes are the worst and fall apart on their own.
I've whored for No-Mar's lube elsewhere on here (and other forums) but if you want something home-brewed, perhaps Crisco or Wesson oil may not be a bad way to go. No-Mar is vegetable based, and Mrs. Brady whored for Wesson oil too so it's gotta be good. I'd use anything slick, light, and water soluble to avoid things remaining greasy, inviting tire slippage on the wheel.

For cleaning rubber items, I keep a jug of K&N filter cleaner on hand. It doesn't hurt rubber and breaks down dirt very well...and won't damage engine finishes. It's not necessarily cheap but if it is handy it may do the trick, although I have not tried it for tire mounting.
Just a few handfuls of my $.02

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
"1984" released in 1984. After a global atomic war, an omnipresent government, headed by the party leader Big Brother, persecutes individualism and uses public mind control to sustain their totalitarian rule. Kind of like watching CNN these days.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dawn dish soap and KY jelly for bead seating...can't believe anything on TV, radio or facebook. The truth is out there...just ain't found it yet....cow methane can be burned in a TW if you can figure out how to catch it but I suspect it's a smelly job.

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
Good advice there Molochnik.
Most modern tubes do seem fairly weak and prone to failure. I have numerous small wheeled carts, wheelbarrows, hand trucks, chippers, and a wood splitter all prone to developing cracks & leaks in both tubes & tires short order. Cause is unknown other than possibly nation of manufacture.
Anyways for my TWs I have little concern about the rear tire slipping on the rim irregardless of bead seating lube. Seems neither 13 horsepower nor panic braking are strong enough to shift the tight fitting bead on the 14" rim.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Does the 26x8 x14 Terra Cross fit on the stock swing arm?
Yes. It’s what I’m running, just proceed with care. It was a long frustrating process for me, but I eventually got it on and seated. Has been an amazing rear tire ever since. Happy change here.

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
My TerraCrossI is on a JoeMama 2" extended swing arm but others have proven it fits on stock swing arm.

I have had similar experience as Sthrntomr with the TerraCross other than going tubeless with sealed spokes.
Based on experience with a Duro ATV tire I knew I never ever wanted to patch a tube on a stock wheel/ATV tire combo so went tubeless. I spent $10 to have local tire shop hydraulically spoon on the Terracross , money well spent since new tire laughed at me and my tire machine's futile efforts to mechanically spoon the stiff tire on in sub-freezing weather with just arm power and a 3 foot lever.
Adding RideOn sealant sealed the deal as the TerraCross's greater void ratio means a greater probability of a nail finding & puncturing the open gaps between the V tread blocks compared to a stock TrailWing tire.
Rounded profile makes this tire very versatile in my opinion. Lays over at speed in the twisties with confidence yet churns through respectable depths of snow. Bold V-blocks grab roots and wrap around rocks and ledges like no stock TrailWing ever could.
Would I recommend anything different? Well, I rode TW-Brian's bike with the new lighter rounder Duro II and thought it better than the rather square profile original Duro and it's legions of clones. Off road in shattered loose rock slopes I thing the Duro's wide cross-tire tread blocks grabs the loose stuff slightly better than the TerraCross.

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
My TerraCrossI is on a JoeMama 2" extended swing arm but others have proven it fits on stock swing arm.

I have had similar experience as Sthrntomr with the TerraCross other than going tubeless with sealed spokes.
Based on experience with a Duro ATV tire I knew I never ever wanted to patch a tube on a stock wheel/ATV tire combo so went tubeless. I spent $10 to have local tire shop hydraulically spoon on the Terracross , money well spent since new tire laughed at me and my tire machine's futile efforts to mechanically spoon the stiff tire on in sub-freezing weather with just arm power and a 3 foot lever.
Adding RideOn sealant sealed the deal as the TerraCross's greater void ratio means a greater probability of a nail finding & puncturing the open gaps between the V tread blocks compared to a stock TrailWing tire.
Rounded profile makes this tire very versatile in my opinion. Lays over at speed in the twisties with confidence yet churns through respectable depths of snow. Bold V-blocks grab roots and wrap around rocks and ledges like no stock TrailWing ever could.
Would I recommend anything different? Well, I rode TW-Brian's bike with the new lighter rounder Duro II and thought it better than the rather square profile original Duro and it's legions of clones. Off road in shattered loose rock slopes I thing the Duro's wide cross-tire tread blocks grabs the loose stuff slightly better than the TerraCross. Opinion based on my past Duro experience as well as riding recent rides alongside Admiral with his Duro and my TerraCross. Both air down nicely and seem safe on highway @ 10 psi.

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
I'm sorry but the extended swing arm was not a commercial item but rather a gift made years ago by a respected and impressive Forum member Joemama. He was the first Forum member I met when he had me as a guest in his home on eve of my first Group Ride. Great guy, but he no longer makes these extended swing arms.
However the fabrication is not difficult and if you use the Advanced Search feature here you might be able to find numerous old threads elaborating various methods used over the years.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts