TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my name is Paul Cannon, I just turned 16 yesterday and my parents gave me a slightly used 2013 yamaha tw200 with 165 miles on it. i was really excited for two reasons: one, i am pretty short so i really only had two options of dual sport, yamaha tw200 and xt250. two, i live in south west florida where there is deep sand!!!! and i mean deep. a kawasaki 450 motorcross bike wouldnt make it through this stuff. but the tw200 just chuggs right through it with minimal problems. Its a great bike and i am very happy to call it my first motorcycle.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum Paul!
Great choice for a first bike, you will have lots of fun on it, ride safe!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
my parents gave me a slightly used 2013 yamaha tw200 with 165 miles on it.
Lucky you! 165 miles?!?! It ain't even broke in yet! Be sure to change the oil and clean the filter right away and then again at 500 and 1,000. It makes a lot of metal in the first thousand or two. Lot's of good tech info here. Be SURE to use the right filter and do the weep test after oil change. (the original filter is still working fine on my 2010 at 6,500 miles.)

You might just keep this little bike for a LOT longer than you think, there are guys here that bought their '87 new and still have it!:p Some with 50,000+ miles!!

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :cool:

·
Registered
925 Posts
When i was 16 we had a Honda Trail 55 and a Hodaka Ace 100. Both fun bikes but nothing like the TW. You're a lucky guy. Watch out for cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone, i am just using it as a dirtbike for now, learning how to ride. but once January comes, i will take the rider's edge course at harley davidson and get my endorsement.

·
Registered
333 Posts
welcome to the forum and to the worlds best motorcycle, I am also 16 (in my mind) but really 61, according to my birth certificate. I had many bikes over the years and currently have a FJR1300 and the powerful TW, and the TW has the absoutly the highest fun factor of any bike that I owned or riden. It is truly remarkable what a 12 h.p. 200cc trail bike can do. You take care of it and it will take care of you for many years.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Hi Paul. My new 2013 has 80 miles on it. I just got it 4 weeks ago.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
....but once January comes, i will take the rider's edge course at harley davidson and get my endorsement.
Ha! You will just WIPE those Hogs!!! When I took my test there was this poor guy trying to pass on a full dress Hog and he hit nearly every cone...he had 30 years experience in a different state and had to do the test over for Idaho. I'd been on the TW for 3 months after a 40 year interlude off motos.......and aced every part of the practical test. The examiner got a big kick out of that....he showed up on a Victory...with which he proceeded to ace the course just to show off!!!:p

PS: I did set up some pop bottles and practiced the test in my driveway for a week.....highly recommended!:D

BTW, do you have ANY idea how lucky you are to be able to ride in JANUARY??!?!?:cool::cool:

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
welcome to the madness paul,
save your dollars and change, if you start reading this forum, you'll find a bunch of different mods you'll want to make. it's a great bike to learn on and then for a long time afterwards. be safe and enjoy! happy birthday

BTW, do you have ANY idea how lucky you are to be able to ride in JANUARY??!?!?:cool::cool:
?? we were in the mid 60's today. :)

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Welcome Paul. Read these forums,MEGA info from all of these knowledgeable folk here!. Wear your riding gear (ATGATT....All The Gear,All The Time!).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes i feel very lucky that i have the chance to ride so early in such a great state like florida, the only thing i dont like is no hills, i like hill climbs! Lol
P.S. I live about 15min from the famous sanibel island and fort myers beach, beautiful views!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome Paul. Read these forums,MEGA info from all of these knowledgeable folk here!. Wear your riding gear (ATGATT....All The Gear,All The Time!).
Read this post a 100 times. Then, read it again a hundred times.
ATGATT. Ride safe and stop at every required stop. Stop Every Time even if you are sure there is nothing coming from the other side. The act of stopping puts you in a ZEN state of mind where you are very defensive and know you are vulnerable. Yes, accidents happen to all. But the act of defensive riding will make it more enjoyable. If you want to go real fast (you will one day get a fast motorcycle), do so at a track. If your friends ride 'fast and furious', choose different people to ride with.

Enjoy and you are very lucky.

ATGATT,
Simba

·
Registered
3 Posts
Paul is very blessed to have such nice parents. (sorry, I'm his father:D) My wife and I have been riding for quite some time now (myself for almost 50 years, and yes, I am old) and we both ride HD Fatboys. Hers is an 07 and mine is a 14 model. I started out on dirt bikes in the 60's and figured it was the best learning tool because of the balance required to keep them upright in the sugar sand we have around here. I saw the TW and fell in love with the tires, power, and ability to chug through just about anything. Found a good deal on a 13 with very low mileage and still under warranty, and bought it. Kept it in the neighbors garage for almost a month before his birthday so it would be a surprise. In that time, I ended up putting about 100 miles on it while he was at school out in the dirt and on the road. Got to say, I am impressed with that little bike. Paul is doing an excellent job so far. When he finally gets to take his mc course and get his mc license, he will be riding with us for quite a while before he gets out on his own on the street. Down here in Fl, the traffic is terrible in tourist season, so we will teach him all the defensive techniques as I've learned in my lifetime on two wheels. Until then, he's having a ball in the dirt.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Paul is very blessed to have such nice parents. (sorry, I'm his father:D) My wife and I have been riding for quite some time now (myself for almost 50 years, and yes, I am old) and we both ride HD Fatboys. Hers is an 07 and mine is a 14 model. I started out on dirt bikes in the 60's and figured it was the best learning tool because of the balance required to keep them upright in the sugar sand we have around here. I saw the TW and fell in love with the tires, power, and ability to chug through just about anything. Found a good deal on a 13 with very low mileage and still under warranty, and bought it. Kept it in the neighbors garage for almost a month before his birthday so it would be a surprise. In that time, I ended up putting about 100 miles on it while he was at school out in the dirt and on the road. Got to say, I am impressed with that little bike. Paul is doing an excellent job so far. When he finally gets to take his mc course and get his mc license, he will be riding with us for quite a while before he gets out on his own on the street. Down here in Fl, the traffic is terrible in tourist season, so we will teach him all the defensive techniques as I've learned in my lifetime on two wheels. Until then, he's having a ball in the dirt.
Welcome to the forum and I am sure that both you and your son will enjoy the TW (I hope that he lets you borrow it, or you may be shopping for another one soon!).

·
Registered
765 Posts
Another 16 year old! Im not alone!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the forum and I am sure that both you and your son will enjoy the TW (I hope that he lets you borrow it, or you may be shopping for another one soon!).
Thanks Brian. I'm on quite a few other forums (Harleys, guitars, Chrysler SRT, etc...) so I may not get around here much, but it's always good to meet a bunch of great people. I've learned a lot just "lurking" here. I did the carb mod (pilot jet) and found as most have here, that the clutch spring wasn't installed right, so I ended up making another notch to tighten it up a little and now it works like a charm and starts and idles great. I do enjoy riding the TW off road, but I actually forgot just how hard it is to keep the bike upright in the deep "sugar sand" we have around here. Thanks to all for all the information revealed here!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts