TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So outside of the MSF course that I passed this weekend, I have never been on a motorcycle.

Took the MSF course here in Socal and had the luck of using the TW200. Fell in love at first sight. So much fun to buzz around, even in just a parking lot with cones.

Anyway, I am now in the searching stage for looking for a bike. I love the idea of a dual sport. I would be looking for a fun commuter to work and also hit some trails, if I have the capability.

I found a few Craigslist ads, and wanted some feedback; I really appreciate it. My first bike will be used and I am not looking to spend over 2.5k.

Thanks all, I hope to actually be a part of this community.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/2922043303.html (Carb cleaning?)

http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/2881162974.html

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would say it depends on what your commute is like. If it is through mostly 55 MPH zones, you may struggle with a TW or become a road hazard since it seems no one does the speed limit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say it depends on what your commute is like. If it is through mostly 55 MPH zones, you may struggle with a TW or become a road hazard since it seems no one does the speed limit.

I would say *maybe* a mile total stretch with 55MPH. Than it slows to 45 with alot of stop lights as it becomes more commercial (this is the Pacific Coast Highway in between Huntington and Long Beach)

Even so though, there is a bike lane used by motorcyclists but I frequently see 49cc scooters on it until it gets to 45.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
You'll be fine on the TW...just make sure to rejet according to your location....makes a world of difference!!!.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
PCH shouldn't be too much for the TW, but traffic on many of the interstates in SoCal get too fast for this bike. I had "fun" keeping up with traffic on an '80 XS850SG Yamaha. I wouldn't want to try it on the TW. Surface streets all the way!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the MSF pass. Ned Nedimeyer

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
i would go look at them both before you make a decision and maybe feel out who is more desperate to sell...an 08 and an 02 for the same price?...make sure they are titled...i paid $1500 for my 00 last spring...i would want to see what kind of condition that 08 is in...you can find a good amount of carb cleaning info on here

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I am hoping this weekend I can visit both locations and test them both.

Appreciate the advice. the guy with the 02 already got back and said he isn't in a hurry to sell. He has received a few lowballs wasting his time.

For a broken speedo and a small gas tank dent...with only around 600 miles, is 2200 a good price?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So a friend of a friend is selling his 2002 Suzuki DR200SE.

Is this a close competitor to this bike?

I would like the TW, but would settle for a competitor for the right deal. I like this forum though, it's very active.

Thanks for the advice all

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I would not want to delve into Brand bashing, but given a Yamaha versus a Suzuki, I'd take a Yamaha. Dependability, dependability, did I say dependability. There are many TW's with low mileage, most have been ridden a few times, someone dropped them, scared themselves, found out they didn't want to ride no matter what their BF or hubbie said, and some of those incidents resulted in damage to the speedo, front fender or other miscellaneous parts. If the bike has a booboo, but has basically been treated right, and is significantly less than dealer out the door new price, then its probably a good deal. Sure a 10 year old bike is going to have a few things that deserve attention due to age, but I'd rather have a 2002 that has been benignly stored than a 2010 that has been thrashed by a teen. Shop and look for a machine in good condition even if it has a booboo. JMHO. Tom

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply. I am going to check out the 2 TW's mentioned above this weekend!

Thanks so much

1 - 13 of 13 Posts