1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Now that looks like a proper air-cooled adventure bike. Taking the 410cc to the Himalayas or on Twilight"s Alaska sojourn would combine a nice combination of adventurous challenge with capable practicality. Enough bike to keep out of trouble without softening the sense of adventure too much. Nice racks front and rear.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ICB has unearthed details about the Himalayan and we have even managed to put together these inputs into an speculative rendering. This rendering shows the path that Royal Enfield may soon tread on to expand its market in a big way. The company also plans to use the new bike to cater to traditional Enfield owners who are now slowly moving away from the brand. The Indian market is seeing an explosion of very capable and affordable bikes that are used to commute on the weekdays and tour on the weekends. This has been the brand’s traditional market for at least the last two decades. Feeling the heat, the company wants to be the new cool once again, and what’s cooler than the new Royal Enfield Himalayan adventure motorcycle?

From the render we have put together, a few things stand out. The Himalayan will still be a very Royal Enfield bike at heart. It will attract the young and adventurous but will also please the retro bike seekers with its styling. The design of the bike would be a combination of form and function. Think of it as the Triumph Tiger meeting a Royal Enfield Classic. Retaining the traditional RE design traits while achieving the stance of an adventure tourer would give Himalayan the right kind of retro look and feel. The company plans to use its extensive touring experience to build a bike that will take it all. The Indian marque runs tours to places where most other bikes seldom go. With the premise that “If a bike can survive road conditions across India, it can survive anything.”, the company will give the Himalayan specific inputs.

The expected inputs are a long travel suspension, a tough frame that can take some beating off the road, tyres in a size that have a wide range of upgrade options, a long wide seat that can carry two adults, mounting points for pannier boxes, powerful headlamps, a tall ground clearance, a large fuel tank for a good touring range, multiple trip meters, an upright riding position to offer maximum comfort over long distances, a fairing that keeps the wind blast away from the rider’s chest and head, and an exhaust that is high enough not to scrape itself silly on every other corner. These changes can be made on the current Royal Enfields also. But the company will not take the beaten path. It has plans to engineer a completely new platform around the Himalayan brand name, a platform that will form its new range of tourers.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I don't know about that low-hanging exhaust, routed under the engine... Not sure I could take it seriously because of that issue. If they changed the exhaust, I COULD be very interested.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I don't know about that low-hanging exhaust, routed under the engine... Not sure I could take it seriously because of that issue. If they changed the exhaust, I COULD be very interested.
From the few picture I observed it looks like it runs alongside the right edge of the skid plate not at all under the engine. The exhaust, to me at least, looks like the only unfinished part of that bike, so who knows for sure. I really like it myself. Well except for the fact that Royal Enfield produces it.....

Tom

·
Super Moderator
4,883 Posts
Anything produced in India has to be able to be fixed with a flathead screw driver and a rock.

Would I buy one ? – No – because they’re built at the factory - with a flathead screw driver and a rock ………….

·
Registered
1,382 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hah, did you catch the RE backpedal to try and save the promo video fail?

"A Royal Enfield spokesman confirmed we are seeing the peg snap in the video and said: 'This was a very early prototype which we were happy to test to the point of breakage.'

In a post responding to comments on the video on YouTube, Royal Enfield wrote: 'This testing proved to us that if you land from a jump that's 6ft above ground, the footpeg could break, so we made it better and did it all over again and again before we broke out with the #Himalayan.'"

Nice try guys. You had one chance to make a great first impression and failed.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'm curious as to how much it'll weigh. I'm guessing 400 lbs. I'm hoping it'll be less, since the DR650 is 366 wet.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
1 lakhs is 1 mill rupees. so 2.5 mil is about $35K usd
Too many zeros, 1 lakhs is 100000 rupees so 250000 rupees which is about $3700.

I like it and would gladly pay that much for one.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
For $3700 I'd try one. I bet it'd be better than the Chinese import thing that CSC is selling for $3800 (that's only a 250).

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
420 pounds with a 25 or maybe 28 horse, 410cc motor. I bet my TW would give it a run with a power to weight ratio like that.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
420 pounds with a 25 or maybe 28 horse, 410cc motor. I bet my TW would give it a run with a power to weight ratio like that.
I've read 28 horsepower with 24 foot pounds. Now who knows if that's supposed to be crank or rear wheel...or if it will be accurate. If it's accurate and it's at the wheel, I'd say that'll do just fine. The DRZ-S makes 32 and 24 at the wheel. Even 24 foot pounds at the crank is half-decent though, IMO. That's six more than the strongest Japanese 250 dual sport.

Anyway, there's still the issue of the snapping foot peg, and who knows what else. But maybe RE will surprise us with something reliable. Who knows? Also, to me it looks like there is not enough ground clearance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts