TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I think the only tire worse than the stocker would be a racing slick.
The only thing worse off road than the stocker is a stocker with 6000 miles on it.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
5,263 Posts
Make sure you get the tube version - it's a combination of tire construction, and the rim you're fitting it to - the TW rims are built for tubed tires only .....

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I just put 9 hours off road this weekend. TW now has 400 miles. From what I've read and experienced I'm also considering the Shinko 241. Is the 4/18 size that will fit a 2017? Do these tires need a tube or are they tubeless?
Many here have had good results with the Shinko 241. I put the 5.10 on two of mine and liked them just fine. Yes on the tube and most wheels with spokes do require tubes. For the very best results and even wear I recommend the use of Ride On tire balance and puncture protective fluid. It remains a liquid inside and maintains the true balance over the life of the tire unlike the standard wheel weights that can fly off or require constant re adjusting.

GaryL

·
Registered
81 Posts
Make sure you get the tube version - it's a combination of tire construction, and the rim you're fitting it to - the TW rims are built for tubed tires only .....
Any way to check after it's mounted, I just had a 241 mounted and this is the first I'm hearing of 2 versions. Had them balanced and installed but swear the front isn't balanced perfectly still.

·
Super Moderator
5,263 Posts
If you put a tubeless tire on a TW, the air will go straight out of the spoke holes in the rim - so you're good to go as long as it has air in the tire - no worries .....

Not even sure if there are two versions of the 241, but as these threads are visible for years to come, it's good to cover all the bases ;)

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The 241 has very deep tread lugs and will feel a bit squishy at first until you get used to it. If you don't think it is balanced right just do it yourself with the Ride On fluid. I think for the 4.00 size tire you need one tube which I believe is 8 ounces. When you put it in the tube you then remove any external balance weights.

GaryL

·
Registered
81 Posts
The 241 has very deep tread lugs and will feel a bit squishy at first until you get used to it. If you don't think it is balanced right just do it yourself with the Ride On fluid. I think for the 4.00 size tire you need one tube which I believe is 8 ounces. When you put it in the tube you then remove any external balance weights.

GaryL
Thanks! You beat me to my second question about using the ride on and keeping the weights. There's a tube in there, just wasn't sure if I had accidentally brought the tubeless version (if such a thing exists) and had it mounted with a tube. Not sure how the inside of the tire would differ cosmetically to even allow this. Only notice a bit front end wobble around 45 indicated (changed rear sprocket, not sure what actual speed is)... maybe just the tire breaking in.

·
Registered
13,730 Posts
Well the stock death wing gave me a big scare a week ago so searched and read a bunch on this great site. I ended up with a Shinko 241. Gave it a decent workout today and im happy with my choice. Wish i did it sooner.

This past winter I put on an SR241. I was worried at first because I had some slideout or washout issues when corning on some firmer moist (not soaking wet) sand and how the tire would handle in Moab.

Because of the sandy rocky trails in Moab, I ran the SR241 with low tire pressure. No worries and the TW handled just fine with the 241. I should note I rode with a Ceros ATV tire on the rear and this tire combo did great on the sand/rocks. I'm satisfied now so will keep it.
:D

P.S. the SR241 does just fine on pavement as well!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have the Shriko -244's on the front of both my Tw's, I love them, I believe there 5.10 width. With the new Tw34's on the rears they are Sweet.
I have mine geared so low that top speed is 45 mph. 35 mph. with out rapping the heck out of them, so bouncing is not a issue for me.
My first gear is a granny, I start out in second most of the time, when I do need first gear they will climb a tree.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Wish I had enough off road trails to justify turning my tw into a mountain goat like some of you guys.
TWs come stock with all the "Mountain Goat" you will need. Come NW my friend and take some of the seasonal use roads found just 100 mile from you. The lower Catskills has plenty of great rides for a TW.

GaryL

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm in the pipe dream phase of planning a tw tour to the Catskills and maybe high point nj. The new rear sprocket makes the bike a little bit more highway friendly, since it is two hours drive for me to just get off the island.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I'm in the pipe dream phase of planning a tw tour to the Catskills and maybe high point nj. The new rear sprocket makes the bike a little bit more highway friendly, since it is two hours drive for me to just get off the island.
I was in Port Jervis this morning and looking right at high point. I can be in all three states, NY, NJ and PA in minutes from my house. Going to where you live from my home turf is about the same as going to San Francisco and I hate both of those destinations. I could send you on a nice 50 mile run with a few miles of pavement and on to a bunch of old coach paths perfect for the Dub. Gorgeous scenery up here and unlike the NY you know.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts