TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally did it and ordered a new YSS shock. instead of wasting money on the electric and cable bill I prioritized and got a shock. I just couldn't take getting pounded riding the TW like it's not designed for .
I had the spring set up for 220 (I'm 180) and asked them to damp it for MX for me (lol) as the TW is a fatty with the unsprung weight of a monster truck and I usually have some type of cargo with me.
No remote reservoir or compression damping but it does have rebound adjustments. Rebuildable too.
The shock allows the length to be adjusted 5mm longer or shorter. I guess that's about 15 to 20mm in seat height. At only 390.00 I figure I'll easily get 400 dollars of fun out of it. The stock shock is primative. I know the TW will never handle like a real dirt bike but it has to help. I've never had a bike so bad on whoops before.
It's freezing here and I'm a cold weather wussy. When I get it I'll post some pics and let you all know how it works when it arrives. No matter what, I thought anything has to work better than a 31 year old TW shock with original oil.
I wouldn't put a YSS shock on my Vintage MX race bikes but the TW it has to be an improvement. I really wanted a Noleen shock for 1000 but my wife enjoys watching TV and having electricity in the house. Spoiled right.I mean her not me.]
I haven't been impressed with Race Tech emulators I n any fork. I am just going to get springs. Should I get the heaviest springs they make for the TW?
s-l225.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Really interested in how this turns out for you.

Also I was thinking about the Race Tech emulators. What was your good/bad experience with them? Maybe you'll save me some change...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I finally did it and ordered a new YSS shock. instead of wasting money on the electric and cable bill I prioritized and got a shock. I just couldn't take getting pounded riding the TW like it's not designed for .
I had the spring set up for 220 (I'm 180) and asked them to damp it for MX for me (lol) as the TW is a fatty with the unsprung weight of a monster truck and I usually have some type of cargo with me.
No remote reservoir or compression damping but it does have rebound adjustments. Rebuildable too.
The shock allows the length to be adjusted 5mm longer or shorter. I guess that's about 15 to 20mm in seat height. At only 390.00 I figure I'll easily get 400 dollars of fun out of it. The stock shock is primative. I know the TW will never handle like a real dirt bike but it has to help. I've never had a bike so bad on whoops before.
It's freezing here and I'm a cold weather wussy. When I get it I'll post some pics and let you all know how it works when it arrives. No matter what, I thought anything has to work better than a 31 year old TW shock with original oil.
I wouldn't put a YSS shock on my Vintage MX race bikes but the TW it has to be an improvement. I really wanted a Noleen shock for 1000 but my wife enjoys watching TV and having electricity in the house. Spoiled right.I mean her not me.]
I haven't been impressed with Race Tech emulators I n any fork. I am just going to get springs. Should I get the heaviest springs they make for the TW?
View attachment 189068

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered a YSS shock. MZ366

There is a better quality shock called Hyperpro or something like that. It was more at 569.00. I am not racing this bike and I don't think an extra 180.00 will make the TW handle better.
I ordered it from Y.S.S. USA Racing Suspension
YSS is popular over seas. They aren't popular here because they put little effort into selling their products here

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I hope that you enjoy your new rear shock. I'm going on 2 years with my Work Performance gasser shock. I decided the TW will be mine forever, so the investment to improve the biggest weakness of the bike, the suspension, was totally worth it. I personally think that it has made a world of difference. I realize that we are a bunch of cheapskates around here, so the investment isn't for everyone, but I think that it is totally worth it. If you are like me and the TW will be your bike for a long time, and you ride often enough, and you are unhappy with the suspension, then it is totally worth it. With the Works, the bike sits a little taller because the springs and rider sag are now appropriate for my load. I JUMP the bike now, riding faster and better than I did before. I can ride it a little bit more like a dirt bike and not just like a tractor. I think I can only recall bottoming out the rear once since getting the new suspension. Tire pressure adjustments do help as well. You do have to realize that you are still on a TW200, and these improvements are relative. They won't magically turn your bike into a Beta, but again, they will improve the TW. Happy riding!​

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm thinking the Works Performance shock is a better shock. But the stock shock is so poor anything will help. Suspension and tires are very important . I can rationalize the investment as an safety issue.If I don't swap out and drive myself into the ground the money I saved from x-rays easily outweigh the price of a shock

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
20190411_143319.jpg

Got the YSS shock. of course nothing I do is strait forward. It arrived too short. I sent it back and they would just add a longer mount ,or for an extra fee (100.00) a longer body to give me 3/8" more shaft travel which would be about an inch at the wheel. So that is what I did. I also wanted the bike to sit a little taller so it helped the too.
It bolted right up. I like the body is up and the shady is down to be the moving part.
I haven't ridden it yet. First impression is I need to set the sag and adjust the rebound clicker. I could also be used to the stock shock so I'll know better after hitting a rough section.
I hope this helps, I find the stock suspension horrible at any speed over 5 mph.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Let us know what
You think of it after you put a few miles on it off-road. I just installed the procycle fork solution kit and their heavy rear spring. Like you, I haven't had a chance to put it to the test yet. Hoping the new set up will be on the mark in Moab.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good suspension is ERRRYTHANG!! Nothing better than good suspension to help smooth out the ride. Can ride much longer with less fatigue.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried the YSS shock today. I had to run the rebound clicker all the way in. I think I may have them change the valving.
It came to me too short.They could have added a longer eyelet. Or offer a longer body for more shaft travel for extra costs (100.00). The longer eyelet seemed like a cheesy fix so I went with the longer body. I'm not happy with getting nailed for the extra money as it should have come like that.
The good is it fit right on.I got a stiff spring so it was never much smoother on the hits, but I noticed the back end wasn't all over the place on whoops and bumps. That I was happy with. I'm going to play with preload and maybe a softer spring.
I also put air valves in the caps. There's only 2 lbs in each leg and I can feel the difference .I should change my fork oil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts