TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heres a technique a BW owner used to extend his swingarm it's simple, sturdy and does not require the cut, extend and splice technique we have been using

Some 3/8" steel plate aprx 4 to 5" long would be plenty to extend a TW arm 3 inches

with this method you could actually weld the part on w/o even removing the swingarm

Once we make a pattern we could have a stack flame or water cut for cheap and we'd have a lifetime supply

the BW brackets pictured are fairly long the TW would not need to be anywhere near this long for 1 to 3" extensions

In theory a longer axle slot would allow us to Adjust our extension from 1 to 3" with a turn of a wrench

These weld on tab / extensions could also hold all the mounts for an XT250 rear disc conversion

Maybe I'm crazy but I think this could work
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
outside the box!

(but trust your welder)

·
Registered
416 Posts
My welder really sucks, he looks back at me every time I look in a mirror! :p

That's why I have a friend (expert welder) help me out!

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
That is a good idea, but I have been kicking around another approach that is even "less invasive". There are lots of bolt-on swing arm extensions available for dirt bikes and street bikes. The problem may finding a design that would provide for the modest 1-3" that most of us would be looking for.

Century Machine USA :: Monson, MA :: Custom Machined Parts :: Featuring Swing Arm Extensions, Billet Covers, and Wakeboard & Water Ski Booms / Pylons

Roaring Toyz  Single Sided Wide Tire Conversion Kits

·
Registered
20,474 Posts
I would buy and install any of those options happy that get away from the TW's cam snails for chain adjustment. I miss the screw adjustments on my older enduro bikes.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
again as someone goes to milk the cow.... tw-brian comes back in with the cheese.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting idea for sure but the final product looks a bit clunky and with this design the minimum extension would be 3 to 4" total range maybe 3 or 4 to 6" not that it couldn't be redesigned with the adjuster in back to allow for a shorter extension. CONS price to produce yet another $200 to $300 CNC TW accessory

The steel weld on might be $5 in mild steel and maybe $10 in pattern cutting given a decent quantity of say 50 sets

With the steel we can build for any type of adjuster easily getting away from the cam if desired (I don't mind the cam)

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heres what the final steel design would resemble these are the factory XT225 swingarm ends

note the ease of welding both sides this is a very strong design and again we could choose any style of chain adjuster we desired

For a 1"extension we would actually cut away most of the existing axle slot on the OEM arm before we added this weld on tab
SAM_7252.JPG SAM_7253.JPG SAM_7254.JPG SAM_7255.JPG

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
A bolt-on version made just for the TW would not need to be clunky. Here is what I mocked up from a scrap piece of wood to illustrate what I had in mind to allow a 1.5-3" extension.
(Of course, you would not want to use wood ;), and you would also want to mill out the axle slots that I have just drawn on. You would also want to blend it in to match up with the profile of the stock swingarm, in addition to adding features for the snail adjusters and the tongue for the brake plate. This mockup was just to illustrate the concept.)

This approach would not require any modifications to your stock swingarm and could be easily reversed, say to switch back and forth between a stock and an ATV tire.

IMG_2108-1.jpg

IMG_2109-2.jpg

Is there anybody out there with a mill interested in taking this concept to the next step and building a working prototype?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice idea but I think a 2.5" to 3" extension would be the minimum with this design I'm looking for 1.5" in most cases but never more than 2" and as little as 1"

·
Registered
346 Posts
Very interesting.

For the right side, as in the case were the drum brake would be, how would you accommodate the drum aligning slot? ( the metal flange that sticks out)

SW

·
Registered
230 Posts
Heres a technique a BW owner used to extend his swingarm it's simple, sturdy and does not require the cut, extend and splice technique we have been using

Some 3/8" steel plate aprx 4 to 5" long would be plenty to extend a TW arm 3 inches

with this method you could actually weld the part on w/o even removing the swingarm

Once we make a pattern we could have a stack flame or water cut for cheap and we'd have a lifetime supply

the BW brackets pictured are fairly long the TW would not need to be anywhere near this long for 1 to 3" extensions

In theory a longer axle slot would allow us to Adjust our extension from 1 to 3" with a turn of a wrench

These weld on tab / extensions could also hold all the mounts for an XT250 rear disc conversion

Maybe I'm crazy but I think this could work
View attachment 58089 View attachment 58097 View attachment 58105 View attachment 58113
This is exactly the way it was done for short track bikes in the mid-60's. A rigid strut replaced the shock so there was no damping but the extension held up well with no failures.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Brian,
If you or anyone else has an itch to fabricate a pair or more (looking at 2" do mine), would you ring out to me?

The Roaring Toyz is $300 and they have yet to make a TW version and the Century Machining is $500 and they have yet to make one...a bit too steep for my 11 hp grovery getter.

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very interesting.

For the right side, as in the case were the drum brake would be, how would you accommodate the drum aligning slot? ( the metal flange that sticks out)

SW
A small section of the correct sized dimensional mild steel flat bar would be welded inside the extension same thing for the disc brake location key using an XT250 rear disc set up (re my mentioned method)

if you are referring to Brians method I have no idea

·
Registered
120 Posts
A small section of the correct sized dimensional mild steel flat bar would be welded inside the extension same thing for the disc brake location key using an XT250 rear disc set up (re my mentioned method)

if you are referring to Brians method I have no idea
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fred, have you further looked into/ pursued that extension/ xt250 disc brake idea of yours? I would definitely be interested should that materialized!

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fred, have you further looked into/ pursued that extension/ xt250 disc brake idea of yours? I would definitely be interested should that materialized!
the XT250 disc is no problem I'll need a machined hub adapter and a master cyl mount but it's all doable no problem

my machinist buddy finally bought a new property with a killer shop in the Valley of the Sun and he'll be all set up by the time I return from Moab so I'll finally be able to get to work on the TW projects I've been dreaming of the XT250 rear disc just one of the many lol

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Placerlode...put me on the list of TW's to put a rear disc on.

·
Super Moderator
18,141 Posts
Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Thank you Tommy. Still recovering from my free Bday Grand Slam at Denny's (Since Mel forgot my birthday donuts).

1 - 20 of 142 Posts