TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
201 - 220 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
There is a big difference between people that contribute to the forum and vendors. JNS is somewhere in the middle but probably wouldn't be here if money wasn't involved.

I doubt JNS even has a TW but at least he listens to input and comes up with products that people are asking for. This one was a swing and a miss IMO but I don't see anybody else coming up with a solution for those that don't know how to fab.
That's true
It's also not feasible for me to build a truck from scratch anymore.
So I have to rely on chevrolet , Ford and others
And yes I have to pay them two times what it's worth.
But at least they have enough respect for me to
Screew me no money down 5yrs to pay...LOL

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Reactions: JNS Engineering

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Powder coated and new bolts. View attachment 212833
JNS... Has anyone ever told you that you are a class act? That thing looks like a work of art.

I like to think that my Son would react to critique as quietly and positively as have you. I don't think I need the extension but I want to help out. Name your favorite charity and I am donating $50.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Based on recent comments he's the only person still interested.
Lots of us are interested I believe and like the extensions..
Just can't fork out a weeks pay for them..
I don't know where you got the idea that CJ7Pilot is the only person still interested. Many, including me, are still interested.
I don't expect your extensions to be free and all for making a fair profit, but $300?
Hope you reconsider and end up selling tons of them.

·
Super Moderator
6,277 Posts
Well, at least JNS is giving us options – so rather than complaining that the cost is going to take almost 20% of your latest “stimulus check”, how about someone steps up to the plate here ?

After all, what would you have to lose – liability insurance ? – reputation ? – easy peasy – or is it ? …..

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
You know, I told myself I was going to stay out of any post (from the last one onward) regarding anything to do with value of parts, but beating up on the price they've set for a part that actually involves a good bit of engineering and testing seems odd to me, especially on an aftermarket/upgrade part. Until someone competes with another product at a lower price, it costs what it costs.

I mean, we are talking about a part you are trusting will be durable and safe when riding while supporting a giant wheel bouncing up and down and absorbing a ton of vibration... maybe they drop the price to $100... maybe you wave goodbye to your back wheel and front teeth after hitting some whoops on the trail. Cant put a price on quality that equals safety.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Basic Economics 101. Demand vs Supply. That said, is it a bit spendy for the part pictured? Maybe for some and maybe not for others. In the end you have a bike with an extended swing arm. What is the real Value? More stability climbing hills?? More room to mount an ATV tire?? Personally I look at it as a cost of getting an extended Swingarm not aa a $300 cost of a piece of metal with a couple bolts...

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I'm waiting on a swingarm I ordered off eBay for $75. Plan to take it and photos posted here to a machine shop and see what they want to make a similar part vs. just extending the new-to-me swingarm.
You know, I told myself I was going to stay out of any post (from the last one onward) regarding anything to do with value of parts, but beating up on the price they've set for a part that actually involves a good bit of engineering and testing seems odd to me, especially on an aftermarket/upgrade part. Until someone competes with another product at a lower price, it costs what it costs.

I mean, we are talking about a part you are trusting will be durable and safe when riding while supporting a giant wheel bouncing up and down and absorbing a ton of vibration... maybe they drop the price to $100... maybe you wave goodbye to your back wheel and front teeth after hitting some whoops on the trail. Cant put a price on quality that equals safety.
How, exactly, does cost equate to durability? Just because the seller is fond of his product doesn't mean it's had a lick of engineering. No spec on materials, weld qualities or strength, how the metal was formed, etc. If that metal is bent into shape, not forged or extruded or milled, It's structure is changed and may or may not handle the load. There's no warranty, guarantee or other assurance that the part will hold up for the life expectancy of what ever conditions the rider puts the part through. It's just some guy with welding skills and some scrap metal as far as I can tell.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I'm waiting on a swingarm I ordered off eBay for $75. Plan to take it and photos posted here to a machine shop and see what they want to make a similar part vs. just extending the new-to-me swingarm.

How, exactly, does cost equate to durability? Just because the seller is fond of his product doesn't mean it's had a lick of engineering. No spec on materials, weld qualities or strength, how the metal was formed, etc. If that metal is bent into shape, not forged or extruded or milled, It's structure is changed and may or may not handle the load. There's no warranty, guarantee or other assurance that the part will hold up for the life expectancy of what ever conditions the rider puts the part through. It's just some guy with welding skills and some scrap metal as far as I can tell.

I never said $300 buys you durability, I was extracting information from JNS' posts about engineering the product (whatever that means to JNS) and the fact they are testing that product to ensure it holds up. To your point, sure this is entirely speculation until someone buys and tries it.

What I was attempting to explain was, whether they used a team of scientists from NASA or just powder coated some welded angle iron and threw some pretty bolts in there... if it holds up during testing as a part that can safely let the motorcycle operate, they can set that price for a large profit margin or to recoup expenses however that business sees fit, I'm not telling you to like it... that's just the free market at work. I do have a hard time imagining a company coming on here to promote their part that will fail shortly after use (IMHO).

Now it you spend $300 dollars and your wheel comes off and you do a Wiley Coyote off some ridge and want to say "the only durable part of this assembly is its pretty powder coat" cool... but until then or until someone can make the same claims and offer a similar part for $100 or whatever price... $300 is what it's gonna cost for what you can assume will be a safe swingarm extension to install and use on your TW.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
$300 is what it's gonna cost for what you can assume will be a safe swingarm extension to install and use on your TW.
My fee for performing as Crash Test Dummy is $300. Offset the price of the gizmo and we break even. Ha!

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Just because the seller is fond of his product doesn't mean it's had a lick of engineering.
Edit: Agreed, I'm not trying to advocate for JNS (want to make that clear), and I really do respect your input on the forum, and make no claim to know what processes they have used during development.

Although I'm sure they had to invoke the use of math and measure something at some point... then again... they could just be eyeballing it and found some bolts in the bolt-bin.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thank you, LHN. I appreciate that but it's not necessary. If you insist, your local humane society, or your local trade school or apprentice program teaching young adults valuable skills would be at the top of my list. Thanks again, John.

I like to think that my Son would react to critique as quietly and positively as have you. I don't think I need the extension but I want to help out. Name your favorite charity and I am donating $50.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Thank you, LHN. I appreciate that but it's not necessary. If you insist, your local humane society, or your local trade school or apprentice program teaching young adults valuable skills would be at the top of my list. Thanks again, John.
There is an outfit not far from us who takes in drunk and addicted teenagers who are on the way out and immerses them in a boarding school environment that is heavy on the trades.

It is done.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
How about pics of the backside and from the ends with out the swingarm stub in place
No dice on the additional pictures I guess....

Reactions: JNS Engineering

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Maybe his mama raised him smarter than that.
You never wanted a good look at something before you paid hundreds
of dollars for it ? ? ?
I really need to know if my trailer mounts will work with these extensions.
So the pictures would be necessary ...
No big deal.. they were just a thought. Losing my interest quickly

201 - 220 of 241 Posts