TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
221 - 240 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've fabricated a few things and it is pretty cheap... to make one... if you don't count your labor.
I even looked into making a small run of parts but once I added up the real cost it just wasn't worth it.
To make and sell something as a business, even at very low profit runs the price up several hundred percent.

We all want neat things, and we all want them at a price we are happy with.
That's why we buy so many Chinese copies of name brand items for a small fraction of the name brand price.
Many of the Chinese parts are very high quality, and many are dangerously low quality.

We can see how relatively simple an extension can be, so we can measure and draw up our own plans, take it to a fab shop and see what they will charge for a set. They may well be cheaper since they wouldn't be making a jig and wouldn't be testing the design, they will just make what you give them.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Even easier. Use a Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM) and CNC it out of steel.

5 bucks says you will see one in a couple of years on Webike.

I wouldn't sell one to the Asian market if I was JNS Engineering...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
JNS
Since you will not post pictures of your extensions..
Will you guarantee that my trailer hitch bars will work
With your extensions as well as the factory swingarm ?
I can't believe you want to sell a product for $300 and won't
Even let the customers see what it looks like !
Mike from NC

Reactions: JNS Engineering

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
JNS
Mike from NC
Post #203?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Post #203?
Post 203 only shows an outside side view...
I an concerned with an end view and inside view...
Which they don't seem to want to share..
As the hitch bars mount on the inside of the swingarm..
If I can not see the product to judge for myself if the hitch
Bars will work with the extensions..
I would need a guarantee that the extensions interior measurements and
Shape match the original swingarm and that my hitch bars will work..
I can not throw away a weeks pay on something that will not work...
Does this make sense..
Mike from NC

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
JNS
Mike from NC
Hey Mike,

I have been following this thread since its inception and since I was the one that first proposed the idea of a bolt-on swingarm extension for the TW, I feel that I must weigh in on the direction that this thread has taken.

First a little background. There have been a number of forum members who have proposed some interesting concepts, even to the point of CAD drawings and solid modeling, but none of these ever made it to the prototype stage. Early on, John (the J in JNS) reached out to me to get some TW-specific details. I sent him a pair of sawed off swingarm ends, an axle, some snail adjusters and a brake plate.

Fast forward to now. John has completed the design, development and prototyping of a what appears to be a very robust and functional set of bolt-on extensions for the TW - exactly what I suggested 4 years ago. Do I wish it had been done faster, had a greater range of extension (both shorter and longer, and a price point closer to $0.00? Of course I do, but I have to live in the real world.

You want a guarantee that these will work with your trailer. I have no idea if they will or not and John probably doesn't either since that was not a design requirement. Have you sent him pictures of how your trailer mounts and asked him for his opinion?

It sounds like you feel that some bolt-on extensions could be done better, faster and cheaper. Time to put your money where your mouth is. Purchase a set of the these extensions from JNS for the best price that you are able to negotiate. Take as many pictures as you want, then mount them on your TW (without your trailer), and put them through your paces and then report back here with a detailed performance report. Then mount your trailer and repeat the process.

Here is what I will personally guarantee you.

1) If you are dissatisfied with the quality, functionality or durability of these extensions, document and post the reasons why on the forum via a poll. If a majority of the forum respondees agree with you, I will buy them from you for 110% of your original purchase price.

2) If you are satisfied with the quality, functionality and durability of these extensions, but they just won't work with your trailer, document and post the reasons why and I will buy them from you for 110% of your original purchase price.

3) If you are able to locate, develop and qualify a source that is able to offer TW swingarm extensions that I feel are significantly improved and cheaper than the JNS ones, I will buy the JNS ones from you for 110% of your original purchase price and also be your first customer for your new ones. This offer expires on December 31, 2021.

There, you now have the guarantee that you wanted.

Deal?

Brian

p.s. I have no affiliation with JNS other than providing John with some TW parts and my sincere appreciation for his time and efforts to develop the extensions that he is offering to us.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Hey Mike,

I have been following this thread since its inception and since I was the one that first proposed the idea of a bolt-on swingarm extension for the TW, I feel that I must weigh in on the direction that this thread has taken.

First a little background. There have been a number of forum members who have proposed some interesting concepts, even to the point of CAD drawings and solid modeling, but none of these ever made it to the prototype sage. Early on, John (the J in JNS) reached out to me to get some TW-specific details. I sent him a pair of sawed off swingarm ends, an axle, some snail adjusters and a brake plate.

Fast forward to now. John has completed the design, development and prototyping of a what appears to be a very robust and functional set of bolt-on extensions for the TW - exactly what I suggested 4 years ago. Do I wish it had been done faster, had a greater range of extension (both shorter and longer, and a price point closer to $0.00? Of course I do, but I have to live in the real world.

You want a guarantee that these will work with your trailer. I have no idea if they will or not and John probably doesn't either since that was not a design requirement. Have you sent him pictures of how your trailer mounts and asked him for his opinion?

It sounds like you feel that some bolt-on extensions could be done better, faster and cheaper. Time to put your money where your mouth is. Purchase a set of the these extensions from JNS for the best price that you are able to negotiate. Take as many pictures as you want, then mount them on your TW (without your trailer), and put them through your paces and then report back here with a detailed performance report. Then mount your trailer and repeat the process.

Here is what I will personally guarantee you.

1) If you are dissatisfied with the quality, functionality or durability of these extensions, document and post the reasons why on the forum via a poll. If a majority of the forum respondees agree with you, I will buy them from you for 110% your original purchase price.

2) If you are satisfied with the quality, functionality and durability of these extensions, but they just won't work with your trailer, document and post the reasons why and I will buy them from you for 110% your original purchase price.

3) If you are able to locate, develop and qualify a source that is able to offer TW swingarm extensions that I feel are significantly improved and cheaper than the JNS ones, I will buy the JNS ones from you for 110% your original purchase price and be your first customer for your new ones. This offer expires on December 31, 2021.

There, you now have the guarantee that you wanted.

Deal?

Brian

p.s. I have no affiliation with JNS other than providing John with some TW parts and my sincere appreciation for his time and efforts to develop the extensions that he is offering to us.
The main reason I want the extensions is to provide more stability with the trailer..
So if they won't work with the trailer they are of little use to me..
If a person has to buy a product sight unseen and can't get measurements to make a judgement
call on there Own as to weather they will work or not i do not feel it is wrong to ask for a guarantee.
they should know if there product matches the original measurements or not

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The main reason I want the extensions is to provide more stability with the trailer..
So if they won't work with the trailer they are of little use to me..
If a person has to buy a product sight unseen and can't get measurements to make a judgement
call on there Own as to weather they will work or not i do not feel it is wrong to ask for a guarantee.
they should know if there product matches the original measurements or not
Brian how could I take your money . I just don't understand what's so wrong asking what the measurements
are...... if I get enough tax money back I will take you up on your offer..
As always it TWBrian to the rescue...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can anyone tell me why they might want to extend the swingarm ? I don't think better high speed stability is the answer because there is no high speed on the TW.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Weight distribution is the major motivator for most I'd imagine. With its short wheelbase, the TW can get very ass-end biased depending on the riders height/weight along with bags/gear/etc.. being carried. Remember the early Porsche 911? The weight of the engine hanging out over the rear axle gave them a tendency to act as a pendulum when cornering, and the moment it broke traction it wanted to swap ends almost immediately.

I did some end weights on my bike here:

And there's more discussion about handling here:

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
450 Posts
Can anyone tell me why they might want to extend the swingarm ? I don't think better high speed stability is the answer because there is no high speed on the TW.
CG is rear-biased on stock setup.
Better, more balanced handling on loose surfaces, as when sliding the rear.
Hill climbing improved.
Good for those w/ ATV rear.

Lots of info already on this w/ a search.

YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
19,922 Posts
Excellent news, thank you!!

221 - 240 of 241 Posts