TW200 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I need some advise on my tw200 .I bought my tw200 from singapore in 2006 and have been riding it almost everyday commuting to work
(approx 25km) .I have never had any issues with the bike apart from the minor oil leak that i read is common for this year model, .I did a retorque on it about 3 years ago which made it a bit better .I changed the front wheel bearings and seal last week and have been through a few sets of tyres and chains ,but thats about it .Lately i have been hearing a different sound from the engine ,and only when the engine is hot .It sound like a faint ting-ting sound .Has anyone had this before and could anyone give me some advise on this .One guy told me it could be vale clearance but I havent checked it yet .also when is it time to open the engine and do an engine overhaul ?I'm not a mechanic and good bike mechanics are quite scarce here, so I'm dreading the day when it needs to be done .
Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
188 Posts
The first thing you need to do is check the valve clearance. Luckily it is quick and easy!! You can do it yourself in probably an hour if you take your time. Adjusting valve clearance is a critical part of maintenance on this motor, so might as well knock it out once so you know how to do it later! Over time, my engine has gotten more ticky when it's hot. I'm never bothered by it, seems to just be the noise it makes. Now, I have been getting a ting-ting noise from my spark arrestor lately, but I dismiss that as having to do with my failed attempt at removing it to clean it. So make sure you can isolate the noise to give us a better idea of what it might me. Hovering your ear over just to identify top-end, bottom-end, etc would be great! Now, the second issue, rebuilding. How many miles are on your bike? Unless you HAVE to have your bike, and all downtime must be scheduled, I would rebuild it when it finally stops running (within reason). If the bike feels weak and you've checked fuel, valve lash, spark plug, and everything else, do a compression test. Or, heck, just do a compression test! If you're getting around 100psi or less, it is for sure time for a rebuild soon. If you're over 120psi, you're doing great! If you're within the range of rebuild though, the most common thing needed is a set of rings and a hone. Again, stuff you can take care of on your own. You may wanna have a shop hone the cylinder, but you can still remove the cylinder replace the rings and rebuild on your own though! Welcome to the forum and keep us posted with updates! Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI kdick91

Thanks for the reply and the good advice .I'll have the valve clearance and compression checked out soon a dkeep you updated on the results .Feel a bit more at ease now

Cheers

Adam

1 - 3 of 3 Posts